“Awful customer service”

Jurys Inn Swindon
Ranked #2 of 25 Hotels in Swindon
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed December 2, 2012

Arrived at Jurys Inn Swindon Saturday 2nd December in the evening after 7 hour coach journey and 5 hours going around Bath Christmas market. Travelled with 3 other friends from work. My friend and I were given our room key and we proceeded to go to the room to freshen up before having a drink with our other friends. However when we got to the room our key would not unlock the door, after trying for a fedw minutes the door opened from the inside and a poor lady who looked startled ask us what we were doing. Off to reception we went and told the receptionist what had happened. there was only 1 receptionist and she looked clearly distraught as we were not the only ones with this problem. She then gave us a different room and said this one was ok. We again baggage in tow went up to the new room and we knocked the door, no answer, great so we tried the key and it worked but to our horror there were clothes on the floor and cans of beer the room was definately occupied. So again baggage in tow we went down to reception and confronted the receptionist (it was now 8.40pm) she said all she could do was give us two double rooms as they did not have a twin available, so off we go again only to find one room was okay but the other had not been cleaned I.e dirty bedlinen, towels etc. So for the third time down to reception and I was assured the room would be serviced, well it was but not till 10.30pm!!! Not only was this very annoying but also a security risk to the customers whose rooms we had entered. Would not rate this hotel very well at all, too few staff and poor customer service, I will be e-mailing the general manager!!!

Room Tip: Make sure it is not occupied before you enter and take any valuables with you in case someone else g...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Paul C, General Manager at Jurys Inn Swindon, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to post your recent review Jean. I would like to sincerely apologise for the standard of service and customer care that you received during your stay. I will be thoroughly investigated the issues you raised and appropriate steps will be taken to prevent against a similar occurrence in the future. It would appear there were some systematic failings in dealing with your group check in and these are being addressed. Rest assured customer service and hotel security is taken extremely serious. I welcome the opportunity to discuss this matter further should you wish to contact me direct. Tel: 01793 445 600 Mail: paul_clifford@jurysinns.com. Once again, thank you for taking the time to post this review, your co-operation and constructive comments have been very worthwhile and will help to ensure that service standards are restored.
Kind regards, Paul Clifford

Reviewed November 30, 2012

Good location ,friendly staff and comfortable rooms.
Efficient check in and check out, good choice at breakfast.
Free one hours wifi in bar and reception.
A short walk from the hotel there are a good selection of places to eat.
As with all Jurys hotels in room wifu and car parking is overpriced

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank bruce f
Reviewed November 28, 2012

I stay in Swindon regularly and have now stayed in all of the main city centre hotels. Jurys Inn is definitely worth the extra few £ as they offer a better standard that for example the Holiday Inn Express. There is a nice bar and restaurant so there is no need to head out to find somewhere for the evening after working or travelling all day. The bedrooms are of a good standard and always clean.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 27, 2012

My other half and I booked into jury's inn in Swindon for a one night stay over to go to a gig at the oasis centre

Although there seemed to have a lack of front of house staff we were finally greeted by a gentleman who was a trainee, he was very polite and made sure we felt welcomed and was very efficient.

Our room was a little smaller than expected and the layout of the bathroom was awkward as the toilet was behind the door.

We went to the local Wetherspoon for dinner which was only 10min (max) walk away. The food and service there was fantastic.

When returning back to the hotel at 11:30 pm I asked the front of house staff what time check out was in the morning and was told (with little interest) that it was 12.

I found sleeping in the hotel difficult as my neighbours went to bed late and woke up early, making us follow their sleep pattern with complete lack of respect for other guests (aided by the heavy fire doors)

In the morning at check out we were greeted by a young girl who couldn't be less interested, no small talk, didn't ask about our stay or our room. I expected better customer service.

All in all the room was good, service needs improvement, but great location.

Will stay else where next time for less money and better service.

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed November 18, 2012

The hotel was in a great location close to town and all the rooms are nicley decorated and clean. Although it took a long time to even order food, then there was huge gaps between the times each meal came out when there was only 5 of us in the whole eating area. the shower was also running cold. None of the staff seemed to know what they was doing, one staff couldn't open the bar as she didnt know how, another didnt have a key to the till he was on so had to wait for someone els to give me change. We was told breakfast had ended and went down 10 minutes later and was told we could order breakfast. Again our breakfast came out at diffrent times, orders where wrong and the srambled egg was extremly milky. very dissapointing as the hotel it self was nice. I wont be returning in a hurry.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 18, 2012

Booking a birthday party was a bit of a chore as it took a few attempts to get in contact and to be honest would have given up if we had not decided that the location was right. Rachna was friendly and sorted everything in the end, the food choice was limited and typical conference fodder but well presented, on time and hot. The bar prices were v expensive (£5 for a cider) which given the cost of the food was a bit OTT. Special room rates for guests / parking helped and the rooms were large and clean. No hot water in the bathroom though as there was a mechanical problem. Breakfast was a rugby scrum as there was a large coach party and there didnt seem enough staff to cope with the dirty tables and getting the buffet food replenished. Hotels have to learn to put coach parties in a seperate room as queuing for everything with 52 guests (plus all the other guests) who are all on a schedule is a right pain !!

Room Tip: Right in the town centre and early hours meant a lot of clubbers going home and they dont tiptoe...t...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 16, 2012

i had a one night stay in Jurys Inn swindon due to a local course I was attending.

The rooms are ok, clean and everything you need close at hand.

Did find it a tad odd that despite the typically wintery weather outside that the room's ar con had been set to the coldest level so it took a while for the room to warm up.

I also didn't like the lack of net curtains in the room. Seeing as my room was in direct eye line of another high rise I had to pull the curtains and put the lights on, despite it being the middle of the day prior to getting ready for an evening out.

The internet in the rooms is neither wireless, as according to the check in staff "it wont stretch that far", I did wonder how I've stayed in several much larger hotels with in room wireless, or free, so if you are happy to pay and have a laptop with you with an ethernet port, which my mac book air doesnt have, you'll be ok.

My main grumble was breakfast.

Due to needing to be out early we were there at opening time (07.00) and the food was seriously average, tepid beans, which is quite a feat given they had only just come out of the kitchen, cheap hash browns, overcooked fried eggs, again considering they had just been brought out of the kitchen and a toaster which either warmed your bread, on the first pass, or burnt it to a crisp, on the second go.

I cant comment on the cost because my company paid for it.

Would I stay there again?

Probably not considering the amount of options available in swindon.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business