“My First TripAdvisor Review”

The Old Post Office Guest House
Ranked #1 of 44 Swindon B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 26, 2012

I am probably going to shoot myself in the foot here by reviewing this place - but I feel it necessary. Jackie - who runs the place - is a darling. She made me feel totally welcome - food is great by Southern Standards (us northerners are hard to please - very spoiled by my mum up North!) - the rooms are immaculate albeit a little small for a six foot guy like me - but overall this place is awesome. Excellent value for money - I for one will definitely be back!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank ATW74

Reviewed December 23, 2011

What a nice B&B and what a nice landlady. The rooms are beautiful (only our bathroom was a little to small for me) and romantic decorated. The breakfasts are great (even the non-super standard breakfasts) and the landlady, although a little crazy, is lovely!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Robin S
Reviewed October 17, 2011

This has to be the best B&B in the area, Jackie was lovely and the rooms were excellent. Ask about room height as I'm 6f 4in and had to squeeze into a room. Sky sports in every room and free Wi-Fi. I stayed in the Hilton the previous Friday in Swindon and wished I had booked with Jackie. First class breakfast with a delightful host!

I can not recommend enough!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Matthew T
Reviewed July 25, 2011

The host of the guest house was warm, welcoming and effusive. Her bedrooms were immaculate and her breakfast untouchable. My only minor gripe was that the walls between rooms were not particularly sound proof, so if someone wakes up early and you're a light sleeper, you'll wake up early too. Ear plugs solve that problem though, and it's a problem worth solving when everything else is so brilliant. And they have a garage that you can store your bicycles in, which was important for us.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank LeoThePRman
Reviewed June 13, 2011

Quaint, sweet cottage run by Jackie, clean, comfortable and located in South Marston village, about 20 minutes drive from Swindon. You must stay here if you are after a hearty, gorgeous full english breakfast - done by opera singer/landlady Jackie, prepares it with special style and grace.:) Meals fit for kings and queens, vegetarians and meat eaters - highly recommended.

Room Tip: Weekends are usually booked up, book early
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SusTam
Reviewed February 2, 2011

Excellent alternative to chain hotels in Swindon. Clean, fresh, great bed and fantastic breakfast. Only 4 rooms so book ahead. Jackie is very warm and welcoming and the attention to detail is great: At the breakfast table, good quality china, proper salt and pepper mill, fresh flower. Freshly cooked breakfast has local sausages, bacon etc, and the mushrooms the tastiest I've eaten (Jackie won't disclose the recipe). Things not on the menu like porridge and black pudding are often available so do ask. The area is peaceful, though close to the business parks and main road. Free wifi if you need to catch up on emails. Room a bit smaller than hotels, but at £60 for a double bed, great value.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank avermes
Reviewed October 12, 2010

As you can see, I seldom post reviews so if I post one, it must mean something.

We stayed at the Old Post Office Guesthouse in South Marston for a total of six nights at the end of August 2010. Jackie and Roger were so helpful and accommodating in helping us to settle into Swindon. Nothing was too much bother for them.

The room we had for GBP 55 per night was a little small, but well decorated and a very comfortable bed. We had no problems with the room and everything worked well. It was clean and well maintained, with good quality bed sheets (Egyptian Cotton and all that).

Breakfast at an addtional GBP 5 per person is an absolute must-have. They have a five-star award for B&B breakfast and it's truly well deserved. It's the best breakfast we've ever had from a B&B. Jackie uses the best local ingredients. The sausages and bacon was of the highest quality, and she uses extra virgin olive oil. The eggs are all great, whether you like them sunny-side-up, scrambled (my favourite), or poached (we didn't try this unfortunately, couldn't get past the sunny-side-up and scrambled). We had breakfast on ALL six mornings we were there, which tells you something.

Breakfast is served in a charming area on the ground floor; again very tastefully decorated and very friendly service by Jackie and Roger. We felt just like family and were thoroughly spoilt. Besides the Full English, there was yoghurt, fruit juices, and cereal that you could help yourself with. If Full English is not your cup of tea (pun intended), there are other lighter options you could have as well.

The free Wi-Fi was very useful, and speeds were quite decent. The village was very quiet with just the occasional car you might hear at night, only if you are a very light sleeper. Free parking is available on-site.

I'm truly surprised there have not been more reviews; I suspect it's because it's frequented here by the regulars (most of the regulars were on business trips) and they see no need to make their bookings harder.

It's a few minutes drive from a Sainsburys and there is a great pub (Carrier Arms) just two minutes walk down the road which serves great food for the price. Initially we avoided it because we didn't think a good pub will exist just down the road, but we were surprised when we tried it on Jackie's recommendation. Pity it was so quiet because good local run pubs like them deserve more business. The food was very fresh and tasty, and they use good local ingredients. Very friendly atmosphere.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple