“Really nice local Thai restaurant” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Thai Boran - CLOSED

Thai Boran
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Description: Thai Boran prides itself on providing only the most authentic Thai food using the freshest ingredients. We aim at all times to provide the finest food with the friendliest of service. Both Srikanya and Choovej, the owners, trained and worked at one of the top hotels in Bangkok. You can be assured you will receive our best service. Additionally Thai Boran also welcomes customers who are celebrating a birthday with a complimentary birthday cake.
“Really nice local Thai restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2013

We ate at Thai Boran tonight as a family (grown ups plus two girls, 11 & 10) and had a very nice evening. From the outside it you don't get much idea of what its like inside. Its located in a scruffy bit of Derby town centre but parking is pretty easy nearby. The restaurant itself is up some stairs once you are through the doors and the dining space has a warm, cosy feel with plenty of Thai elephants, tapestries, carvings etc. The staff were welcoming and the menu decently extensive.

The food itself was tasted fresh, really nicely spiced and was absolutely lovely. The Masaman and green curries were especially nice.

This was our first visit and we will definitely be going back. Oh, and it only cost £70 for teh four of us. Result!

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Bertiebot

Derbyshire
“Incompetent service that ruined a family celebration”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

I've reviewed this place very favourably in the past but things change. On the last occasion i visited we were only advised as we left that they suddenly couldn't take credit cards and that we needed to pay by cash only. We had a meal for four with wine so we were checking the bottoms of our pockets to settle the bill.

On the most recent occasion my daughter chose it as the place for her 18th birthday. We booked a table for three in advance and turned up on time. There were only eight bookings for what is quite a large restaurant. Our booking had been crossed out by someone (including the reference to her birthday) and there were no tables left. We were offered a terrible table in the foyer and a free meal which we declined. The explanation was that "we have to fill the tables and you didn't specify where you wanted to sit".

If you do decide to go to Thai Boran the food is OK the middle room is good, the back room and the foyer are not. The service is unacceptable (smiley faces are not service). My daughter's evening was in jeopardy and so we had to head out into Derby on a rainy evening to find somewhere else. I won't be going back

Visited June 2013
5 Thank Justaukcook
srikanya, Manager at Thai Boran, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
DerbyShireWindy,

We are sorry your visit to Thai Boran didn't meet with your expectations. We always strive to provide excellent food and service to all of our customers but on this occasion it is clear you felt we didn't live up to this.

We are rather confused by your assertion that we don't accept credit cards as this service we provide daily to our costumers. It appears you were referring to a previous visit. Although I cannot recall the problem you have had previously paying with a credit card it is possible the merchant machine we use wasn't working. Unfortunately this occasionally happens to all businesses on very rare occasions. Please accept our apologies.

When making a booking if a customers requests a certain table we will certainly accommodate them. When you made your booking you didn't request a particular table. It seems the table you were seated at didn't meet with your expectations and you requested a move.
Unfortunately on the evening you visited us here at Thai Boran we were very busy and it wasn't possible to accommodate your request as we simply didn't have any available tables.

To compensate you for not being able to seat you at a table of your liking we suggested a free meal for the three members of your group which we feel is a very generous offer. However, you declined this.

Management and staff at Thai Boran try to accommodate all requests from our customers, on very very rare occasions these requests cannot be met through no fault of our own. This unfortunately was the case with your visit.

Your sincerely
Srikanya
Thai Boran
Bangkok, Thailand
“Authentically Thai and Delicious - Wow!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013

I am now spending most of the year in Thailand and visit the UK infrequently. However it is nice to visit Thai Boran occasionally to get my fix of beautiful Thai food. As I've mentioned in my previous review of Thai Boran I've had most items on the menu over the years but the fried sea bass or "Pla Pa Sa Pak Raum" is something else.

I was due to travel back to Bangkok on the Thursday so on the Wednesday evening before my flight I decided to get into Thai mode by visiting Thai Boran. Choovej, Aoy and the staff remembered me from my previous visits, took my coat and showed me to my favourite table just inside the restaurant on the right hand side. From my vantage point I'm able to chat in my rather poor Thai and enjoy the friendly ambiance that Thai Boran seems to have perfected.

I ordered a Singha beer which was almost instaneously placed on my table ice cold and inviting. I ordered the fried sea bass and sat back to relax. Choovej had recently been to Thailand and updated me on the happenings in Bangkok where I was heading the next day. I could hear the sounds of cooking coming from the kitchen which reminded me so much of the sounds I have heard so many times in Bangkok restaurants over the years. For authenticity Thai Boran takes some beating.

My fish arrived after about 15 minutes tastefully decorated and wonderfully presented. I had asked for some extra chilli (in Thai "phet phet") as I adore spicy food. I don't really know the names of the Thai herbs and spices but I'm guessing there was lime, garlic, galangal, holy basil and various other delights from the Thai Boran larder in the dish. The whole fish was served with Thai whisky which gave it a hearty and delicate aroma along with a wonderful taste. With the fish having been first fried the skin itself peeled way nicely revealing a delicate light meaty flesh. I was told the fish is fresh daily from the fish market a couple of hundred yards away. It certainly tasted that way. I had some rice with the dish but couldn't eat it all as I was full to the brim.

If I remember rightly the bill came to around £18 or so which is fantastic value.

All in all another gastronomic delight in Thai Boran and I will continue to visit for the wonderful food and the warm welcome I receive everytime. As far as my trip to Thailand went I had the perfect send off in Thai Boran.

• Visited May 2013
2 Thank MrInfinity001
Derby, United Kingdom
“The BEST Thai Restaurant in Derby”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013

Tasty, tasty tasty! The food here is such good value for money and the staff are so friendly. One of my favourite restaurants in Derby!

Visited January 2013
Derby
“Excellent restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2013 via mobile

I went to this restaurant with my wife this evening. From the outside it does not look impressive but don't let this fool you. The food , ambience and staff at this restaurant are all excellent. It's the first time we have been here and will now remain on our regular favourites.

Visited May 2013