“Really really good!”
Review of Thai Boran - CLOSED

Thai Boran
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Description: Thai Boran prides itself on providing only the most authentic Thai food using the freshest ingredients. We aim at all times to provide the finest food with the friendliest of service. Both Srikanya and Choovej, the owners, trained and worked at one of the top hotels in Bangkok. You can be assured you will receive our best service. Additionally Thai Boran also welcomes customers who are celebrating a birthday with a complimentary birthday cake.
“Really really good!”
Reviewed September 12, 2012 via mobile

We go to this restaurant oftern, usually on mass for birthdays etc. The food is excellent, the atmosphere is great, and the staff couldn't be better. It's a strangely authentic Thai oasis in the centre of Derby.

Derby, United Kingdom
“good food with friendly staffs”
Reviewed September 12, 2012

Foods nice and friendly staffs, price average too. Sometime I go on my own because staffs always remember me make me feel very welcome. Try lunch set, Thai Boran not only cater Thais food, English Breakfast and few British dishes too. Many locals like have their Full English compare high street cafe good value too

Visited July 2012
Derby, United Kingdom
“Recommen great place!”
Reviewed September 8, 2012 via mobile

Lovely place a regular for me until my mum couldn't make it up the stairs. Great Thai food lovely flavours very very good value for money in the day and even better food but obviously higher prices in the evening. Not to be missed!

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best Thai Restaurant in Derby.”
Reviewed August 21, 2012 via mobile

This is the best place to eat in Derby. We went to Thai Boran last Sunday. The food was excellent and beautiful presented. The price are very reasonable and the service very attentive. Highly Recommend!!!

1 Thank Carlo2012
Derby
“A PAINFUL EXPERIENCE NOT TO BE REPEATED!”
Reviewed August 18, 2012

Firstly, it is with sadness that I write this review. My husband and I have been loyal customers of Thai Boran for many years and encouraged others to visit this lovely restaurant. We even had a table that we called ‘ours’ and the staff automatically took us there. We always received a warm welcome and the food was excellent – piping hot and with the right degree of spiciness, as described on the menu.
However, I dined with a friend, who had not dined there before, on 26th July. I ordered a set meal for 2, which my husband and I have eaten on many occasions. The mixed starter was wonderful, as always, although I missed having it arranged on the ‘gold’ decorated stand. (ours was on a plain white plate)
The chicken soup was delicious with just the right spiciness. There were the usual Thai spices for flavouring - easily identifiable – which you remove before eating. (they’re stick-shaped or hard chunks, and are not edible anyway) I had nearly finished the soup and had removed the Thai spices from the remaining mixed slices of vegetables when, on swallowing, I was in great pain. My mouth, tongue and the whole of my throat were 'on fire'. I found it a frightening experience as I didn’t know what I’d eaten. Water was pouring from my eyes and my friend was upset, not knowing what to do.
It prevented me from finishing the soup and caused me to worry about the remaining courses. The waitress who was dressed in Thai costume totally lacked the Thai warmth and kindness. Even though she said that she could speak perfect English, she could not have been more uncaring which added to my distress. She never once enquired how I was. I had to walk across the restaurant to ask her for water. She brought a small glass and when I asked for a jug, it was brought barely a quarter full. I tried to explain to her and the manager what had happened but they both said that if I’d complained that the soup was too spicy, they’d have changed it. (the soup was not spicy – I’d swallowed something I shouldn’t!!)
I like spicy food but this was very painful and distressing. On sharing my predicament, everyone is of the opinion that I chewed and swallowed a whole chilli, which had been inadvertently left in the soup. Had I known this, and that the pain would eventually subside, it would not have been so distressing but I didn’t. I also understand that water is not the remedy and I think that a restaurant serving hot, spicy food should have been aware of this.
I wrote a letter to the restaurant, hand delivered, to explain more fully, as I thought that the manager/owner hadn't understood what I was saying. I was aware that knowledge of the English language may be limited so I asked if someone could translate it for him. As I heard nothing, I wrote again, very briefly this time but again, no response. There is no warning on the menu that this is an extremely spicy, hot dish. Had my experience happened to a child or a person unaccustomed to hot food, it could have had more serious consequences. All I wanted was for the manager/owner to acknowledge what had happened and to try to ensure that it didn’t happen again. The evening, which was supposed to be to celebrate my friend’s birthday, was ruined.
This used to be a warm, friendly restaurant with lovely, attentive staff who asked if everything was alright throughout the meal, and replenished glasses with wine and water, without being asked. What a shame that this no longer appears to be so.

• Visited July 2012