“Fawlty Towers?!”

Ranked #30 of 637 Restaurants in Derby
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Bistrot Pierre's 'raison d'être' is great value French cooking and seasonal menus. We like to combine French bistrot classics such as steak-frites, boeuf bourguignon and crème brulee with our own take on regional favourites like confit de canard and paté de campagne. Our relaxed and friendly bistrot is the place to go for any occasion. Open seven days a week serving breakfast, lunch and dinner we have something for everyone, from the two-course prix-fixe lunch for £11.95 and a two-course pre-theatre menu for £14.95 to the sumptuous a la carte menu, and for those with little time we now also offer a one-course lunch menu for just £9.95. Wander through our distinctive French wine list too, with over 20 French wines sold by the glass you will discover something exquisite to drink with your meal. For something a little special we also host a range of events at the bistrot. Join us on the second and fourth Tuesday of every month for our Soireé Gastronomique, a six-course set menu with hearty provincial cooking. This is outstanding value priced at £22.95 per person. In addition, we also offer a special Dine with Wine evening where each course comes with a glass of specially chosen wine. This takes place on the first and third Wednesday of every month, so join us for a delicious two or three course set dinner menu for £22.95/£27.95 per person. We want to make sure there is something for everyone on our menus, whatever your dietary requirements. That's why you'll find plenty of delicious gluten-free dishes as well as a child-friendly menu on offer to help make your experience in our restaurant as easy and enjoyable as possible. If you love what we do and are looking for the perfect present, give the gift of French dining and order our gift vouchers online.
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Although I've already reviewed this restaurant I coldn't resist posting another review about our recent meal there!

The food, as usual, was to die for. Absolutely superb and I couldn't fault it one bit. On the other hand, the waiting staff were really not up to scratch, although apologised to us on several occasions.

Two of us ordered the same "special" starter, a waiter then told us there was only one left. Fair enough so one of us ordered something diferent. Two minutes later he came back and said he was misinformed and there were actually two. We therefore ordered two. When the starter arrived three of the same "special" starters came! Very odd as one momnet only one was availalbe and suddenly three arrived! We sent the extra one back and then had to wait for a further five minutes or so for the missing starter to arrive. (All extremely tasty though I have to admit). Then for the main course, all a bit of a mix-up yet again which culminated in a sharp steak knife being dropped onto one of our colleagues we were dining with and ending up on the floor. It was then picked up by the waitress who promptly put it back on the table for him to use! Surely a replacement clean knife should have been supplied?! Oh and whilst all of this was happening another waitress was placing the french fries onto our table and ended up dropping a whole pot behnd me on the floor so there were suddenly two or three people scurrying around on their hands and knees collecting them all! All in all it reminded us very much of Fawlty Towers, very disorganised but funny at the same time!

Having said all of the above I still don't think I've ever tasted food like it. The meat just melts in the mouth. The similarities to Fawlty Towers certainly wouldn't put me off going back again!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,722)

Reviewed February 25, 2013

I visited Le bistrot Pierre for the 1st time in a couple of years. The atmosphere was buzzing for a Thursday evening. The staff were attentive and friendly. The food was excellent after choosing an onion tartlet for starters and rib eye steak for my main. The accompaniments were all mouth watering and I will not hesitate to not leave it as long next time before returning.

Lisa B, Public Relations Manager at Bistrot Pierre, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our restaurant and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed February 19, 2013

I have been to this restaurant in the past and been disappointed with both the food and the service. Not this time. They couldn't seat us for 7.30pm but quickly offered alternatives and we booked. Although the restaurant was very busy we were taken to a table upstairs and treated very well. I had the pate and the other half had the soup. It kept us both quiet for a while to savor the tastes. The house white wine is so good that we had two bottles. :-) I experimented and had sea bass which isn't overly fishy and he had lamb. Normally we wouldn't have had desert but they looked so nice on other tables that we had to have a go. He had chocolate and I had the lemon torte. OMG. tasty. At £90 for the meal, it wasn't one of our cheaper nights but hey ho it was definitely worthy it. The waitress even appeared to have a great time serving everyone .

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Hopefully we will see you again in Derby or at one of our other restaurants soon

Reviewed February 17, 2013

On arrival 15minutes early we were told that our table was not yet ready and that they did not have a seating area so we had to wait in a bar over the street. Not a great start but understandable considering we had a party of 16. However, when we did eventually sit down it was 20minutes before someone came and confirmed our pre order and a further 50 minutes before we recieved our starters. I can understand they were busy and we were a large group, but when we had given a pre order weeks in advance we did not expect to wait so long for our food.

Thank you for your feedback and I'm really sorry for the poor service you received. Our Manager David will be in touch with you shortly to discuss your visit in more detail and find out why we failed so badly on this occasion. We appreciate you bringing this matter to our attention.

Reviewed February 15, 2013

Just got back from BP, I went with my kids to belatedly celebrate my daughter's 18th birthday. As expected the welcome was warm and professional, as was the restaurant itself on an overcast February lunchtime.

The ambience had a friendly buzz about it, as befits a very popular Derby eaterie that caters for discerning customers who enjoy a relaxed, yet quietly busy Gallic ambience. Not much to say that is different from my last visit, other than I think that, if anything, this place is even better. Food - excellent, as one might imagine; wine - very palatable and quite complementary to the dishes ordered. My children were glad to be here again, and they too loved what was put before them. All told, another memorable experience, and one to be repeated.

No complaints whatsoever. The management and staff are obviously still working imaginatively hard to ensure that customer satisfaction is uppermost; keep it up ...

Lisa B, Public Relations Manager at Bistrot Pierre, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2013

Thank you for choosing to celebrate your daughter's 18th birthday with us and so pleased you all enjoyed yourselves.