“Top Nosh”

Cuisines: European
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed June 9, 2014 via mobile

Went for lunch to celebrate a birthday. There's a terrace by the river where you can have pre drinks or sit and have after meal coffee - weather permitting. The interior is very traditional lovely linen cloths and napkins. We found the service efficient and thoughtful but not stuffy. There was a good choice of starters and mains and whilst I realise it may disappoint vegetarians, it's not billed as a vegetarian restaurant, vegetarian restaurants don't serve meat eaters meat as an option. I think those who criticise Darlys for this omission are at fault. The puddings are good, I had a twist on rhubarb and custard. The prices are good too. All in all I would recommend Darlys for a good experience.

Reviewed June 7, 2014

The place is lovely, smart, high level type place but at their prices for an evening meal I would have thought there would be great customer service - I was wrong - menu was poor for vegetarians and when I asked for some help as wasn't really something I really liked on menu, was told that what there is and if didn't like it then anything else I ordered I'd have to pay again. I was on a leaving do of a colleague so couldn't walk out, so ordered and didn't like the food and ended up paying £45 for privilege of poor food and poor service - never again.

9  Thank Rakesh M
Reviewed June 7, 2014

The service at this restaurant is excellent and is only surpassed by the very high quality of the food. Overall a wonderful experience and excellent value for money. The setting is very romantic and offers a choice of having a drink, while perusing the menus, either on the outside area overlooking the river and weir or on the large inner seating area.

Reviewed June 7, 2014

First time at Darleys for my fiances birthday. The service was impeccable throughout. Lovely pre dinner drinks overlooking the abbey, with olives and homemade crisps. The dining inside had a lovely relaxed yet higher end feel to it. A choice of breads and soft butter, led to a beautiful three course dinner including possibly the best main course we have ever had!

The starters were probably the weakest part of the meal (but still very tasty) due to the small portion sizes Vs the cost. The scallops were slightly over seared leaving a slight bitter taste to them which whether intentional was a slight distraction to an otherwise good dish, and the chicken noodle soup dish was very flavoursome just too small.

The main courses really stole the show. we both had the fillet steak cooked to perfection as we requested rare. Accompanied by duck fat potato fondant, seasoned tortilla crisp, mushroom puree and cabbage let to a wonderful flavour infusion, backed up with additional olive oil mash potato which was simply divine. A simple yet in my opinion perfect dish and well worth the price tag (£22.50).

The desserts were also out of this world. The banana parfait with salted peanut cream and toffee sauce with an almond sponge and a cholocate ganache type ice cream was fantastic and the cheese board provided a good range of cheese including a great blue and a marvellous Alex James number 5 Guernsey soft cheese.

The meal was accompanied by some lovely wines. The recommended chilean sparkling white, the Rioja and Shiraz were all great and i will certainly be looking for these in the shops. Served at the right temperatures as well.

Overall it was a great meal, and i would return just for the main course. Worth the price tag and i can see why its persistently found in the goof food guide and michelin guides.

Reviewed June 6, 2014

I have just spent the evening at Darley's for a friends birthday. The food was very average. I do not feel that the quality was reflected in the price. The service we received was good but unfortunately our waitress would have benefited from a spritz of deodorant. We were seated next to a large group of people who were obviously quite intoxicated and were becoming raucous. This is not the fault of the restaurant staff but it certainly ruined the atmosphere of the place. I found that I could not hear my companions over the noise. I have visited Darley's many times in the past but I do not think I will return.

1  Thank CAllen1983