“Wonderful”

Cuisines: European
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed June 7, 2014

The service at this restaurant is excellent and is only surpassed by the very high quality of the food. Overall a wonderful experience and excellent value for money. The setting is very romantic and offers a choice of having a drink, while perusing the menus, either on the outside area overlooking the river and weir or on the large inner seating area.

There are newer reviews for Darleys - Restaurant & Terrace

Reviewed June 7, 2014

First time at Darleys for my fiances birthday. The service was impeccable throughout. Lovely pre dinner drinks overlooking the abbey, with olives and homemade crisps. The dining inside had a lovely relaxed yet higher end feel to it. A choice of breads and soft butter, led to a beautiful three course dinner including possibly the best main course we have ever had!

The starters were probably the weakest part of the meal (but still very tasty) due to the small portion sizes Vs the cost. The scallops were slightly over seared leaving a slight bitter taste to them which whether intentional was a slight distraction to an otherwise good dish, and the chicken noodle soup dish was very flavoursome just too small.

The main courses really stole the show. we both had the fillet steak cooked to perfection as we requested rare. Accompanied by duck fat potato fondant, seasoned tortilla crisp, mushroom puree and cabbage let to a wonderful flavour infusion, backed up with additional olive oil mash potato which was simply divine. A simple yet in my opinion perfect dish and well worth the price tag (£22.50).

The desserts were also out of this world. The banana parfait with salted peanut cream and toffee sauce with an almond sponge and a cholocate ganache type ice cream was fantastic and the cheese board provided a good range of cheese including a great blue and a marvellous Alex James number 5 Guernsey soft cheese.

The meal was accompanied by some lovely wines. The recommended chilean sparkling white, the Rioja and Shiraz were all great and i will certainly be looking for these in the shops. Served at the right temperatures as well.

Overall it was a great meal, and i would return just for the main course. Worth the price tag and i can see why its persistently found in the goof food guide and michelin guides.

Reviewed June 6, 2014

I have just spent the evening at Darley's for a friends birthday. The food was very average. I do not feel that the quality was reflected in the price. The service we received was good but unfortunately our waitress would have benefited from a spritz of deodorant. We were seated next to a large group of people who were obviously quite intoxicated and were becoming raucous. This is not the fault of the restaurant staff but it certainly ruined the atmosphere of the place. I found that I could not hear my companions over the noise. I have visited Darley's many times in the past but I do not think I will return.

1  Thank CAllen1983
Reviewed June 6, 2014

We have been to Darleys many times, most recently on our 10th wedding anniversary and in our opinion it's the best restaurant in Derby. The atmosphere is just right - it feels like a special night out but not at all stuffy or pretentious - the staff are all very welcoming without exception. The food has always been really great whenever we've been - and we are quite "foody". It's not cheap but it's not meant to be - it's still good value for the standard of food you get. (About £20 for a main course). I recently had the chef's plate of deserts - a little taster of every desert on the menu - heaven. This restaurant definitely deserves to be higher in the rankings on here. We love it!

Reviewed June 4, 2014

I have been to this restaurant so many times for different occasions I have lost count!! It is truly a wonderful place and the food is amazing!! I love it!! One time when we went for an anniversary meal they even wrote 'happy anniversary' in chocolate on the dessert plate!!
The food is so divine I have never had a bad meal and the staff are so nice and helpful especially the owner!!The chef's are amazing!! Lovely location to!! Definitely my most favourite place and it's a shame I don't live closer!! Highly recommended!!