“Excellent quality and atmosphere, good food.”

Ebi Sushi Restaurant
Ranked #70 of 578 Restaurants in Derby
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
Petersfield, United Kingdom
“Excellent quality and atmosphere, good food.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

I took my family here as I know this is my Japanese boss's favourite so I know the quality would be good. The decor was very similar to a typical sushi restaurant in Japan. Atmosphere is casual and friendly but not romantic; you will hear Japanese tv and people bantering in the background, also the lighting is ptetty bright compared to most British restaurants so i guess this could contribute to some reviews. For the menu, smaller selection of Sushi than I thought originally but makes sense given the target audience and the quality was good. There are substantial selection of cooked Japanese food catered for British tast buds, so even Japanese food novices shouldn't be too frightened to enter. What I was impressed was the selection of weekly and daily specials of non-sushi food, targeting those who go there almost every day (Even the Japanese don't eat sushi every day!). Because they serve fresh, authentic Japanese food, its not very cheap at all but, for the quality you cannot complain, and made me feel money well spent. Will come back again, I am sure, for a special meal.

• Visited June 2013
3 Thank CutiePie075

Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Nice”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2013

I'm a big fan of sushi and really wanted to give this place a try after reading some excellent reviews on trip advisor. It's a nice place with a lovely atmosphere and the service was quite good. I wasn't over impressed with the food as I've eaten better, but overall, a nice experience and decent value for money.

• Visited June 2013
2 Thank Eve W
nottingham, uk
“Excited to have found this place!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2013 via mobile

3 of us ate here on a Thursday evening. I cannot recommend this place enough. A previous reviewer commented on the decor etc and said she would prefer to eat in nicer surroundings. I have eaten in much prettier places but with awful food. Good food prevails any day in my books. We had sushi, a lot if sushi, we ordered three times and loved absolutely everything. We didnt have much hot stuff but the agadashi tofu which is an all time favourite of mine was delicious! The eel nigiri, eel and cucumber roll, soft shell crab roll were all fantastic!Although we live in Nottingham we work in derby and I'm excited to have found such a genuine, original and exciting place!

Derby, United Kingdom
“Best Japanese in the Midlands”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2013

I love Japanese food and this is the best in the Midlands. It is small, very authentic and all the dishes are fresh and tasty. The sushi is excellent with all the usuals plus my favourite - mackerel.

The seafood salad is recommended as a fresh way to start your meal after some sushi, follow with some deep fried chicken, salt baked mackerel and mixed veg. The black cod is fantastic if you have a bit of money to splurge. Try a small warm sake to drink, the beer is good too. The belly pork and a bowl of plain rice is a good. The needle soups are gorgeous and filling, my favourite is with tempura prawns and soba noodles.

You must book though as it's fairly small and always busy with a largely Japanese clientele. Wonderful food and great service!! The sushi chef goes to Billingsgate fish market on Tuesdays and Thursdays so for oysters and great specials go on these nights.

1 Thank JBParks15
cambs GB
“Authentic Japanese”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2013

Super restaurant with authentic Japanese food. Friendly family atmosphere. The green tea ice cream is excellent.