All reviewsfour poster beddark woodhaunted roomown brewerypleasant hotelan upgradetown centrestayed nightsfamily roomwould stay againshuttersweddingcobwebsvenuepubs
Reviewed July 22, 2018

I booked two rooms one for myself and husband the other for our daughter and partner. We had room 10 chair in room supposed to be pink so dirty was brown!!! No information in rooms ie local info wifi code etc Slept reasonably well tried to have a shower water freezing cold so ended up having a wash and going to complain. The lady on reception said its just a case of moving dials around it should work and without looking at it I can't tell. But didn't offer to come and see for herself. My husband also tried shower it was red hot or freezing the dial wasn't working! Did complain when went to breakfast still got the same answer "without looking I can't tell " but didn't offer to take a look seemed annoyed we were saying anything not a word of sorry was uttered from either of the receptionists mouths!! So we basically paid for a room Without a working shower and extra for breakfast. Granted on Departure receptionist did offer another room to shower (after we had complained twice in the space of hour and a half) but by this time we were dressed after washing in sink and ready to leave! Our daughter at breakfast told us their room was so oppressive as no curtains just dark wooden shutters in a dark wood panelled room couldn't open shutters as overlooked lean to garden sitting area this was Room 16 she just said thank goodness I'm out of that room !! Hotel is atmospheric and could be beautiful but needs a lot of work on decor and furnishings dirty

• Stayed: July 2018, traveled with family
Reviewed July 7, 2018 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel for 1 night in bedroom 6 with a friend / colleague. This was booked / paid for by our employer and we were given a booking confirmation.

On arrival it isn’t clear from the car park how to get to the hotel reception. On walking through the dining area / main reception it smelled of cigarette smoke and is very dark / old fashioned in desperate need of updating.

The lady on reception asked if we would like breakfast and I explained that this had been booked by our employee and was written on our confirmation that it had been requested. The lady insisted that it hasn’t but took our confirmation and went to check. A lady whom I presume is the manager could be heard saying “they’ve paid next to nothing anyway and they can pay £9 each if they want breakfast”. This lady then came to reception and rudely stated that it hadn’t been paid for through the booking system and so we would have to pay extra. We were not willing to do this given the rude attitude, smoke smell and cost (and that it was on our booking confirmation) so are unable to comment on the actual breakfast!

The whole hotel is to an adequate clean standard in most area’s but there was clear evidence of some places which had several layers of dirt (such as the stairs, pubic hair in our shower and grime around the sink). An unpleasant aroma was also present in our room.

I appreciate that it was an extremely hot day but the room was unbearably hot. The window needed to be wide open all night to allow some air in. Given that the room is on the main road this resulted in a very noisy stay and didn’t help with the broken sleep! For this purpose, I would have hoped that a fan / air conditioning of some kind would be made available!

The television had no buttons on the unit itself and we were unable to find a remote in our room. When asked for it at reception, the lady had a rude attitude and gave a remote stating that it probably wouldn’t work (it didn’t!).

I was surprised that the room only had 2 plug sockets (twin room & kettle was plugged in to one) and these were no-where near the bed. There were 2 light fittings above each bed head but no light bulb or switch for these resulting in them providing 1 unclean / damaged lamp between the beds. There is no shelf in the shower area which would be handy to place toiletries on rather than the floor.

However, the thing that shocked us most were that the beds had air mattresses on! Granted these were not your standard £10 blue blow up ones but were most certainly not a proper mattress. One of the mattresses was partially deflated when we arrived and the other partially deflated overnight. They were very uncomfortable and also added to the broken sleep!

The only positives I can give are that the room is a decent size, the bedding / towels were clean and towels a good size also. When we returned our key the person on reception appeared less frosty than the previous day. However, we were not asked about our stay which I think is quite telling!

We didn’t complain / explain our problems as this had been booked by our employer (and chosen due to its close location to our training venue) and we didn’t feel the hotel could have actually done anything to improve / rectify the situation. Overall we were very disappointed, would not choose to stay there again and will be recommending to our employer that they don’t book this hotel in the future.

As one of the ladies stated, we may have paid a low cost at a 3* hotel and therefore can’t expect 5* qualities. However, they advertised the room at that rate and there is no excuse for rudeness no matter how much you’ve paid!

Stayed: July 2018, traveled on business
Reviewed June 24, 2018 via mobile

We visited this gastro pub for a family Sunday lunch. Two of our group were vegetarian and found plenty to chose from. The meals were served in good time with a fresh selection of vegetables on the side. All meals were delicious and plenty. However when we came to coffee it was i drinkable! The Americanos were served in glass mugs and the cofffee was so weak and flavourless that none of us could drink it. However, when we complained we weren’t charged for them. The staff were cheerful and attentive

Stayed: June 2018, traveled with family
Reviewed June 16, 2018 via mobile

At £60 per room per night, we didn't expect much but we were wrong.
Nice, comfortable rooms, friendly staff, good breakfast and a convenient location for Derby centre, we couldn't ask for much more.
Full English breakfast is £9 and is a comparable price with surrounding cafe's and was well cooked and tasty.
The staff were really friendly and allowed us to check in early as we needed to get going.

The rooms were clean and comfortable and the had four poster beds in them.

Parking at the rear of the hotel with plenty of spaces and finally the location.
If you want to use Derby train station, I'd recommend a taxi, as it's half an hour walk away.
Derby shopping centre is about 10 - 15 minutes walk away.

A good hotel that I'd definitely use again!

Stayed: June 2018, traveled with family
Reviewed June 11, 2018 via mobile

The tavern is lovely with good food and a nice beer garden, the hotel is a bit dated but is inkeeping with the age of the building. I would stop again but not pay extra for the four poster bed as the room was quite small. Some noice which is to be expected in a building that old but a comfortable night stay. Clean facilities and friendly staff. The breakfast was excellent and the car park is well hidden and easily accessible. Over all would recommend

Stayed: June 2018, traveled as a couple