All reviewsfour poster beddark woodhaunted roomown brewerypleasant hotelan upgradetown centrestayed nightsfamily roomwould stay againshuttersweddingcobwebsvenuepubs
Reviewed June 16, 2018 via mobile

At £60 per room per night, we didn't expect much but we were wrong.
Nice, comfortable rooms, friendly staff, good breakfast and a convenient location for Derby centre, we couldn't ask for much more.
Full English breakfast is £9 and is a comparable price with surrounding cafe's and was well cooked and tasty.
The staff were really friendly and allowed us to check in early as we needed to get going.

The rooms were clean and comfortable and the had four poster beds in them.

Parking at the rear of the hotel with plenty of spaces and finally the location.
If you want to use Derby train station, I'd recommend a taxi, as it's half an hour walk away.
Derby shopping centre is about 10 - 15 minutes walk away.

A good hotel that I'd definitely use again!

Stayed: June 2018, traveled with family
Reviewed June 11, 2018 via mobile

The tavern is lovely with good food and a nice beer garden, the hotel is a bit dated but is inkeeping with the age of the building. I would stop again but not pay extra for the four poster bed as the room was quite small. Some noice which is to be expected in a building that old but a comfortable night stay. Clean facilities and friendly staff. The breakfast was excellent and the car park is well hidden and easily accessible. Over all would recommend

Stayed: June 2018, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jessicalaura1992
Reviewed May 5, 2018 via mobile

I stayed there with my husband as did two of our friends in order to attend my daughter's 30th birthday party. The staff could not have been more welcoming the location was ideal for both the venue and Derby city centre.

Stayed: May 2018, traveled as a couple
1  Thank junecarole
Reviewed April 14, 2018 via mobile

Pleasant hotel nearly 300 years old full of character. We stayed in a reputedly haunted room 12 which was in fairness very pleasant with carved wooden four poster bed and large bathroom. The bar area was busy and felt like a traditional country pub and the restaurant area was separate, comfortable and maintained the antique charm of the building. We had dinner, which was really a pub grub style menu but the steak and Stilton pie was delicious and with generous portions. My wife enjoyed a very well cooked steak. We stayed 2 nights and as the hotel is just outside the town centre, ideally located. Furthermore, parking is good and the seating/garden area at the back is quite lovely and lends itself perfectly for functions and weddings. In terms of criticism I have a couple. The breakfast which was £9 each we both felt was very poor, to the point that we ate breakfast elsewhere on our second day. There was nobody around to help, or seat/greet us, no tea (there was coffee) , no yoghurt or fruit (other than a few sorry looking pieces in a bowl that had seen better days! ) and when someone eventually did poke their head around the corner they appeared to be quite 'put out' at my request for a poached egg. .other criticism were also having had the tiniest portion of shower gel and no actual soap to wash hands with. The toilet also did not flush properly.

All in all though the hotel was quite charming in spite of these small critiques (apart from breakfast which really needs to improve), we would stay again however as the staff (especially in the bar) were very friendly, regaling us with some of their ghost stories and history of the place.

Stayed: April 2018, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 4, 2018 via mobile

Stayed here a few times and really like the bar.
Room 21 is pretty grim, was cold on arrival, cheap uncomfortable mattress, dirty carpet, only a bath with no shower fitting.

£60 for a night without breakfast (could have added it for £9)
Won’t stay again... if it was £30 a night I might do but that is all it’s worth!
Please note room 21 is a “none smoking room”

Stayed: March 2018, traveled solo