“Well I loved it!”

The Georgian House Hotel
Ranked #25 of 29 Hotels in Derby
Reviewed February 24, 2014

Had to go through pub where we stood around unsure what to do and no one helped but once we did get to reception staff were really friendly and welcoming.
Room was a great surprise as it was small but had a four poster and bags of character! Wood panelling everywhere. I loved it because of the quirkiness but like a previous poster realise it's not everyone's cup of tea.
The drains gurgled like crazy and I thought the breakfast was expensive for what we got but the atmosphere and way the hotel made you feel like you had stepped back in time and therefore made you forget the outside world was awesome.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jen B

Reviewed January 24, 2014

Upon arrival, it was clear that the Georgian House Hotel were understaffed. I booked to come here the day before my graduation but when we got there they had booked us in on the wrong days and blamed us for their mistake! The woman asked me who i spoke to on the phone when i booked it, so i said Claire, and she said that it couldn't have been Claire because she was Claire and she had been off for a few months. Then when i told her what price we had been quoted on the phone, she admitted that it was her that i spoke to on the phone. Then she told us that we would still have to pay for the four nights stay even though we weren't staying there anymore!! I refused to pay as it was their mistake, and then she said "well now it's going to be coming out of Ray's wages"!!!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank katy0205
Reviewed January 15, 2014

The building is getting on for 300 years old. There's lots of lovely dark wood panelling (not all original) pictures are in heavy, ornate frames. The architecture in the breakfast room alone kept me occupied for two hour-long breakfasts. Then there's there fact that there's a pub with it's own micro-brewery downstairs - the beer is actually very good too. The food in the tavern is wholesome and plentiful, but not haute cuisine. The plumbing and windows are of course a bit quirky, you need the two eiderdowns, but I love it and will always ask here first when I'm in Derby. There are tea and coffee making facilities in the room. It's not expensive either! Staff are friendly. Someone's split something on the carpet in my room which now needs replacing, but generally - e.g. linen and bathroom, it's very well kept, considering the price.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front are troubled by road noise, as the windows don't seal well. Rooms at the back...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank euromnlostatsea
Reviewed October 13, 2013

the room was dusty, and lacked thought, no beaker in toothbrush holder, around the shower and taps were dirty, a cup was cracked,coat hangers were few, and most were broken. The staff behaved as if they were doing community service,I did not see one smile. My husband who is 74yrs old had to carry our case up, there was no offer of help. the hotel seems to run on a very short shoe string, but must be making a profit one night there was a birthday party booked in, and the next day there was a wedding.
On a brighter note the food was great, and well worth the money, the chef on the morning of our leaving seemed to be doing everything, but still had a smile the first and only one I saw during our stay

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank josephine j
Reviewed October 10, 2013

I stayed here one night.The staff were friendly and the bar lively ( and lots of real ales ) . The building itself is quite beautiful if a little tired in places.Out roon was fully wood panelled witha four poster bed.Not huge but adequate and the quirkiness made up for that. Plumbing was a bit ancient and to be honest, if you're a light sleeper , don't gey a room that faces the road.This old building is not going to have double glaxzing and the road gets noisy - I had ear plugs.
I didn't even know the place was haunted untill I returned home but I did have a very strange nights sleep in room 1, with something banging the corner of the bed ( or so it seemed ?) so that it vibrated, causing me to sit upright several times... spooky in hindsight.
The Breakfast was lovely and rates reasonable, so in my opinion it was worth the stay.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 8, 2013

I read previous reviews and thought some of them a bit picky. I remember walking past this hotel on my way to school when part of it was still a private house. Check in was prompt and easy. Family room more of a suite 12,year old thrilled with his own private hutch! Price very reasonable. I had trouble booking on line, rang, and they matched on line price, very friendly chap took booking.room was clean. Shower unit looked new. We loved the furniture ! Reminded us of home as we collect antiques.friendly young lady knocked on door 1040 to make sure we awake.good nights sleep for all three of us. A little noise from a do downstairs but hey its a noisy planet! Beds comy and clean .if you like the sterile chain look this aint for you. Its different but really loveable like an ageing aunt.if we need to stay in derby again will will use this hotel again

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed October 3, 2013 via mobile

Amazing oak panelling and a four poster bed on a budget!
Quite unique---- well, there is a bit of traffic noise at the front bedrooms, but it is in a town in a student area. You can park easily. Downside is that breakfast starts at 7.30am, a bit late if working but the friendly breakfast lady was happy for me to take a dish of cereals at 7.20 then bring the cooked dish about ten minutes later.
I think my experience was better than some of the other reviewers'. Besides - the tarrif is realistic for what's provided.

• Stayed: October 2013