All reviews steak family meal sharing platter sunday roast lovely meal pizza oven coffee machine fish and chips booked a table cooked to perfection brownie be visiting again continental breakfast pudding an evening meal saturday night joe
Selected filters
Reviewed June 3, 2016

We ate here recently and found everything very ordinary-service was rather slow and food only average.
However we obviously went on a bad day as this venue has received some five star rave reviews Diners from Leicester, Sheffield, Birmingham, Worcester ,Hampshire, Liverpool,Peterborough and Harwich have all visited and commented enthusiastically on Trip Advisor. A diner from Norwich who "popped in" was delighted and someone from as far away as the North of Scotland rated it as his "all time favourite eating place in the U.K.".
With this level of approval it's clearly worth travelling three miles to give it another try!

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
General M, Manager at The Farmhouse at Mackworth, responded to this reviewResponded June 16, 2016

Hi 'Shazam5'

Thanks for writing a review. We do hope you visit again as you're so close, perhaps you could enjoy a walk down to The Farmhouse to build up an appetite and I hope our food will exceed your expectations this time.

Kind regards,

Reviewed June 2, 2016

Last minute choice to book for a birthday meal. We were not disappointed. Fabulously decorated (I admit, I visited about 5 years ago looking for a venue for a party, and wasn't impressed) the new lay out and decor is stunning. Staff were very lovely, helpful and accommodating. The food was delicious, varied menu for every taste, loved the sharing starters...the mains just as delicious. A slight delay on one of the mains...and we were given a complimentary bottle of Prosecco. We'll definitely be back! Thank you. Only dined in the restaurant, can't comment on accommodation as we haven't stayed.

Date of stay: June 2016
Trip type: Traveled with friends
General M, Manager at The Farmhouse at Mackworth, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2016

Hi 'db9ers'

Thanks for writing such a kind review. We hope you all enjoyed the celebratory meal and bottle of fizz!
The rooms are stunning, as is our terrace.. we hope you'll be back to visit us again and try some different meals soon!

Thanks,

Reviewed May 31, 2016 via mobile

This venue use to be tired and drab until recently! The renovation is breathtaking, the team have done an amazing job and now the venue is suitable for almost any type of event! The food is high quality, there's an extensive drinks menu and the staff are super attentive! All round a lovely evening, I would recommend this place to anyone! Can't wait to stay overnight to try one of the rooms, they look fabulous.

Trip type: Traveled with friends
General M, Manager at The Farmhouse at Mackworth, responded to this reviewResponded June 1, 2016

Thank you for your review, it is always nice to hear positive feedback from our customers and we look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Reviewed May 24, 2016

I live one mile away from this property and have over the years visited only half a dozen times due to the miserable look of the "restaurant", t he poor menus and very uninterested staff.

Having learned that the place had been given a major upgrade we decided to give it a try.

My wife and I also had a friend with us who had never been to the place before so had nothing to compare it with.

First impression walking through the door was WOW, it looks amazing, whilst waiting for our table reservation to be sorted out due to an error we oredred a drink at the bar, a nice friendly welcome from the bar staff who was very attentive and already preparing the drinks, he was very efficient and quick, a good start. Eventually we were escorted to our table which was in the Conservatory, I was a little disappointed as I expected to be in the main restaurant but was informed it wasn't open due to insufficient staff (strange). The waitress arrived and welcomed us with a lovely smile and left the menu with us, we were quite early and had achat for 20 minutes before what to have. The waitress returned to take our the order,, I ordered slow roasted belly pork only to be told that they didn't have any, having taken 20 minutes to decide it would have been better if the waitress had mentioned at the start. I reluctantly ordered the lamb, my wife ordered a small whole chicken, our friend had salmon.

When the meals arrived we couldn't believe our eyes, the chicken looked as if it was about 5 weeks old when it was slaughtered, I have never seen a chick served up in any restaurant. We didn't want or expect a 1.5 kg full size chicken but where do we draw the line It was no bigger than a quail.My wifes verdict, very dry, not surprising the chick wouldn't have had the opprtunity to build any body structure/fat. The chips were described as triple cooked, they looked as poor as they tasted, soggy.

Our friend had salmon and thoroughly enjoyed it.

My lamb arrived and in my book the first test with any meat is how easy it is to cut, it did not cut at all well, eating was as expected , chewy, tasteless and very disappointing. The waitress enquired if everything was ok and could see I wasn't happy and offered to oredr a replacement but there was little point in having another lambI was not and ordered a rump steak. The steak arrived and was ok but no better than the £5 one at the Robin in Mickleover which is a third of the price. I will happily pay a decent price for a decent meal in a nice place but the food was nothing special.

I will finish on a positive note. The staff were superb, the place is lovely but a number of things need attention to keep the seats filled. Main restaurant closed on a FRIDAY?
The meat supplier needs looking at, The Chef can only work with the tools he is given, It probably cost a fortune to transform the Markeaton into The Farmhouse, lets hope they read the reviews and take whatever action is required , I want to try it again because of the staff, close to home, wonderful staff, but hopefully the restaurant will be open.

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with such constructive feedback on your visit to the farmhouse, the responses we receive help us to develop and improve on the service we offer. Firstly thank you for your feedback on the staff, we pride ourselves in providing high quality customer service and train our team this way so it is always nice to hear that their hard work is appreciated.

Regarding your comments about the main restaurant being closed, I am a little confused by this as we class the conservatory as the main restaurant along with the area in front of the pizza oven. We do however have other areas including the den and the library which we open up when busier or for private dining. The den wasn’t open on Friday and I am wondering if this may have been where the confusion has come from however I am sorry that you were lead to believe that you did not have the choice of where you would like to sit.

I have passed your feedback about the lamb on to our chefs and they are looking in to this, we are proud of the meat we serve at The Farmhouse so to hear that the meat wasn’t to a high standard is something we take very seriously. For the Piri-Piri baby chicken dish we use poussin which is a young chicken and ideal for single serving, it does however sound like yours may have been cooked longer than recommended as it should be succulent with the piri-piri flavours running through it so I am extremely sorry for this.

I am pleased that you had an overall enjoyable experience at The Farmhouse however I am sorry that the food let us down on this occasion and I do hope that you will try us again in the future and if there is anywhere you would specifically like to sit please do let us know when booking and we will ensure this is arranged for you

Reviewed May 21, 2016 via mobile

First visit since redecoration, a pleasant surprise. Visited on a sunny Monday lunchtime for my dads birthday, sat out on the terrace & had to order at the bar but this didn't detract from the level of service. Good menu selection, lovely food & friendly customer service. Will definitely be back :)

Trip type: Traveled with family
General M, Manager at The Farmhouse at Mackworth, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2016

Hi 'Smithysmith2014'

Thanks for taking the time to write such a lovely review! We hope your dad had a fabulous birthday and will keep our fingers crossed for more sunshine so you can enjoy the terrace once more.

Kind regards,