“First and last time”

Cuisines: European, Seafood, British
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed February 25, 2014

Around 20 people were invited to a birthday party at this restaurant, our food choices were sent to the restaurant several days before we were due to go, so what could possibly go wrong.

Our tables were booked for 8.30 pm, but at 9 pm we were still seated in the bar. Eventually we were taken to our tables and after another long wait the first courses were served.

This is when the problems really started, I had the soup, it was almost cold as were several other dishes so they went back into the kitchen to be rectified.

The mains then appeared, my wife had sea bass with mash and mixed beans, it too was cold and no sign of any mixed beans, it went back to the kitchen and returned with the mixed beans. While this was going on those who had meat dishes were then asked how they would like their meat cooked, this made their dishes late.

The waiters had totally lost control of what was going on, the whole night was a complete shambles and no-one could come up with any answers. We declined the sweet course and at the first opportunity headed for the door, never to return.

2  Thank Brian W
Brad_613664, Manager at Hepburns Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to voice your concerns on here. I spoke with many members of your group on the night and received nothing positive feedback from them after explaining our situation with our chef being in an accident on the day. Your table was ready for your arrival at 8:30 and we had planned for this time. Turning up 30 minutes after your booking time did cause a few timing issues. As I'm sure your aware by way of compensation on the night the 11 of you which chose to have desserts received them complimentary as well as all the side orders you received and as well as your intermediate course. Again I was under the impression from many members of your group that although there were a few issues you were all happy with the way we dealt with it. Im sorry to hear that you were not happy and would of hoped we could've rectified this on the night. As you can see from the majority of our reviews it is not how we usually operate. Please feel free to contact me directly through our website if you would like to discuss your night but hope that we will see you again so we can prove that any problems you may of had were a one off. Kind regards, Brad

There are newer reviews for Hepburns Restaurant

Reviewed February 23, 2014

My husband and I dined here and were so impressed we went back in a bigger group for his birthday . Both meals were superb . I am vegetarian and there was plenty of choice . The food is excellent value and the service was superb . It is so nice to go somewhere where the waiter is able to tell you so much about the food . I would readily recommend this as an excellent restaurant and will certainly be going back again.

1  Thank Gaynor711
Reviewed February 22, 2014 via mobile

Went to hepburns for the first time for dinner, and had a great time. We had the fillet of beef which was a bit pricey but delicious and good value for money. All three of the waiters who were there were attentive and considerate, making sure we had everything we needed and offering us time between courses to relax if we wished. Dan in particular kept an eye on us, and was incredibly friendly throughout our meal. Our only issue was that the online booking system isn't reliable, however this wasn't a problem and the staff were apologetic and found us a table in no time. I would recommend for a special occasion, hepburns does great food and wine with a relaxed atmosphere.

Reviewed February 22, 2014

Went last night for my birthday treat - what can we say - it was fabulous. The cocktails mixed just to our taste; warm bread with oil and balsamic - lovely; the scallops cooked perfectly; our mains of (1) rump with oxtail and (2) rump of lamb were perfect. Lovely desserts that included my favourite and EXACTLY what I asked for ... just ONE scoop of ice cream! Nice wine, brilliant service and a Chef who we watched cook and who took the trouble to come out and have a good chat. We will return and if you haven't been you should go!

1  Thank Graham S
Reviewed February 20, 2014

Dined here on the 8/2/14. Firstly, 2 of the starters were not on the menu as they had run out -no alternatives offered. The starter we ordered Beetroot cured Salmon with Crayfish-came without crayfish - not informed by kitchen staff so when it got to the table was disappointed ( they had run out). They did offer an alternative. Secondly, the salmon with gnocchi came out under cooked. Thirdly, left without any drinks for 25 minutes. Then we ordered pudding & coffee. Coffee never arrived. Pudding of creme brûlée came out very under cooked. So bad it made us all feel rather queasy. The waiter was hilarious - drank the left over alcohol from one of the cocktails. He did however take our complaint somewhat seriously & gave us some money off of our bill. Won't be going back....ever. For the service & quality of food for the price I felt like I had been completely robbed!

1  Thank clarkey_rjc