“Derby does fine dining!”
Review of Hepburns Restaurant - CLOSED

Hepburns Restaurant
Cuisines: European, Seafood, British
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed February 16, 2014

This was our first visit to the restaurant after it had been recommended to us by a friend. It's surprisingly tucked away, but what a gem. Fantastic service and food. Slightly bizarre that there are no draft beers available, but everyone including ourselves had wine, as you do.

The atmosphere was perfect for our valentines meal, would highly recommend!

1  Thank Ben H

Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

St. Valentines day :-))
Lovely evening BUT it just lacks that wow factor that could make it AMAZING, which is such a shame.
Food was very good value for money but not hot. Not cold enough to send back - just not hot (if that makes sense). Goat cheese starter was not very goats cheesey (that might not make sense but I know what I mean in my head) Drinks took ages to come & not just ours. Head Waiter was good but the other staff looked kinda lost.
Singer was amazing and made the evening :-))) brilliant. Thank you.
The venue itself is beautiful - really lovely and relaxing.
Great night but suggest management send in some mystery shoppers and get little bits ironed out ASAP - hope this helps :-))

1  Thank Lindajselvey
Reviewed February 11, 2014

Went for a hen night dinner and was awful. Service terrible too. Ruined the evening and would never go again. Too many disasters to list but everything you could think of occurred. Cold food, orders mixed up, didn't have the reservation, food took an hour and half to come etc etc you get the picture. Wrote an email to the deputy manager but he never responded. Telephoned him but he never called back. Dreadful place and would not recommend it for a special occasion or any other occasion for that matter. There are plenty of other lovely places to go with nice hot food and efficient staff.

2  Thank notts1973
Reviewed February 8, 2014

Just dined here for a friends birthday.

There were ten of us so got given a great table with plenty of room so was a good start. Nice atmosphere to the whole place too.

We ordered our food and then got told that because five people had ordered steaks the wait time would be 35-40 minutes which seemed a long time to have to wait.

I ordered the duck and was very impressed with my dish. I just wish the waitress had mentioned sides when ordering because didn't realise that the dishes don't come with anything. Luckily we were able to order some vegetables. It was a bit surprising though when at 8.30pm, the only vegetables they could offer us were carrots and some measly bits of spinach because they'd ran out of everything else already!

In other reviews people have mentioned about them making mistakes and the same happened tonight. There was a mix up with the steaks. No one who had steak was impressed with their meal.

After highlighting our complaints, originally they were going to offer us complimentary desserts but no one wanted one, so a considerable amount was knocked off the bill and complimentary coffee was
given.

I personally was happy with my experience here and would go back to try the restaurant again. I know others in the group won't be saying the same!

Reviewed February 8, 2014

Dined at Hepburns Restaurant to celebrate our 33rd Wedding Anniversary, my husband booked here after reading the recommendations on this site. we were a little disappointed. although the staff are quite attentive, a few errors meant the evening was not as special as we anticipated.
We were making our menu choices from 2 different menus ! The waiter changed them both as mine was also stained with food, not the best start to the evening.
My filo tart starter was quite bland, and only had the smallest piece of feta cheese in it, it was not accompanied by the peppery rocket salad as in the menu, but watercress as they had no rocket. My husband enjoyed his vegetable platter starter
The food arrived, but we had to remind the waiter we had ordered a side of vegetables which had not arrived.
My Jacobs ladder main course contained two cubes of beef and surrounded by large pieces of fat and gristle (bigger than the meat pieces). when asked "how our meal was" I pointed this out, but the chef passed it off as "that's how it comes".
It tasted OK, as did my husbands rump steak and oxtail main.
As we were eating, the couple on the next table were given different menus, they hadn't learnt from our mistaken menus, not a good advert.
We both chose the sticky toffee pudding, and both agree this was not the best, very dry, and not at all sticky.
Did we visit on a "bad chef" night ?
We are not going to return, sorry.

1  Thank woody7913