“What a fab night!”

Cuisines: European, Seafood, British
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed September 6, 2013

Myself and my parter visited hepburn's restaurant tonight for the first time and I can't find a fault in any aspect of evening. The waiter really knew his stuff and made a recommendation that we both thouroughly enjoyed. We both had the platter to share and it was beautifully presented and tasted delicious. For mains we had lamb and the steak. My parter is a bit of a steak connesiour and he loved it. The whole evening was perfect, i just cannot fault it. I have read some of the other reviews on here and i cant invisage a bad experience in that place. I highly recommend this restaurant and we will definitely be returning soon.

5  Thank JSGregory

Reviewed September 4, 2013

Went for an impromptu meal on a friday night. Had a drink in the bar first of all; they have obviously recently spent a lot of money on the decor. On a Friday night at 21:30 you would expect it to be packed but there was only at maximum of 4 including ourselves. The only thing that spoilt it was the was the 80s style "disco"; not sure who they were trying to entertain apart from the bar-staff as the couples in the bar (including ourselves) were trying to chat.

Went upstairs for a meal and again the surroundings were perfect. The meal itself was a let down; started with the special of prawn and scallop which was disappointingly bland.

The second course was lamb with peas and broad beans; it may be a small thing but the beans had not been skinned as a result they were bitter.

The worst thing by far was because it was a warm evening the windows were open and the 80s "disco" could be heard from down stairs. I dont know who the target market is, the Friday night revellers who were non existent downstairs or the diners who had to listen to inappropriate music!!

1  Thank DerbyHappytraveler60
Reviewed September 1, 2013

I booked a table with my partner a few weeks ago when there was the terrible weather in Derby, and despite that (which was no fault of the restaurant itself!) we had a lovely meal. Our only issue, which seems to be echoed by some of the other reviews, was that there was bad customer service, particularly from one young woman who was serving us and some larger tables.

Having returned this weekend, it could not have been any more different!
The food was beautiful. They were offered scallops pan fried in garlic butter with a spring onion risotto as a special starter, which my partner and I both had. The flavours were perfectly balanced with neither the garlic not the spring onion being too overpowering

For my main, I had the fish of the day, which having been told was a duo (of sea bass and pangasius, which the server told me was a white fleshed fish similar to cod) I decided to go for that My partner went for the seafood and tomato linguine.

We could not have asked for better dishes. The teriyaki style fish of the day was just heavenly, and the seafood and tomato linguine was a massive portion of pasta, mussels, crayfish and tomato. We struggled over desserts because we honestly didnt feel like we had room! Then our server mentioned a dessert cocktail which isn't on the menu and is a specialty of their barman - if you go there, ask them about their Cheesecake Martini!

Overall, a fantastic experience foodwise, and with the young lady who served us before now gone, it is a competent and knowledgable team, who obviously care about their customers and their food.

Gold stars all around :)

4  Thank zas452
Reviewed August 24, 2013

My wife and I had a really nice meal here. We had booked a table (Friday evening) but in the end need not have as the restaurant (and most of Derby city centre) was quiet. The table had a good view of the open wall kitchen, and we saw the care the chefs were taking of each dish leaving.

The menu was good with a reasonable selection of English and Italian dishes, plus specials of the day, which we partly selected from - scallops in cream and saffron sauce, and veal shank - and both excellent. We also had shredded compressed duck as a starter, and rack of Derbyshire lamb, again - both cooked and presented very well.

The decor of the restaurant is nicely done, smartly presented with deep browns and white/ cream, and as there are windows all around looking over the street, you get the feeling of being in with the street scene even though its on the first floor. The table service was very good, and attentive (there were only 3 or 4 tables occupied though).

The prices were fair, although I thought you should get the side of vegetables in with the main course price rather than an extra.

So, overall a good experience, and I would recommend it to friends.

3  Thank Hawthorn37
Reviewed August 17, 2013

I visited the restaurant with a group of friends to celebrate a special occasion. Unfortunately our dining experience was a catalogue of disasters from start to finish starting with booking first they required a deposit and menu choices (not a problem), a couple of weeks later we were told these weren't needed, followed by another change of mind a few days later when we were told that if we didn't pay our deposit ASAP our table wouldn't be guaranteed and that menu choices for our party were needed as they didn't carry much stock??
Having duly paid our deposit and supplied our menu choices in advance when we arrived they couldn't find our choices and we were asked to order but from a different menu.
The starters came and these were fine but then it went downhill. When our main courses started to arrive approximately two hours after we had sat down a couple of our party were served, after a wait then a couple more meals were served and so on until eventually everyone was served except myself. I was told mine would be a few more minutes.... maybe they had to send out for more stock!! As it had taken so long to serve the rest of the party by this time the food was lukewarm.
One of our party had asked for her chicken in sauce to have the rich creamy sauce served on the side of her plate rather than on the meat... a simple request but no, her chicken came covered in the sauce.
Whilst I know that the fire alarm and the power cut was not the restaurants fault it would have been courteous if they had just come to let us know it was a false alarm particularly as we weren't in the main dining area.
To add insult when the bill arrived it was wrong (£50 deposit nit deducted) and had to be sent back.
It seemed that they were disorganised during the entire evening.
I would not recommend the restaurant and in future will stick to Zest or Bistro Pierre both of whom provide a far superior dining experience.

3  Thank Tricia0904