“Nice Dining Experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Bon Appetit - CLOSED

Bon Appetit
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: Situated near the bustling Derby city centre with parking nearby and train access only 5 minutes away, Bon Appetit is a quaint and cosy fine dining restaurant which you won't forget. Spanish run, it serves a variety of European, French, Spanish and Basque dishes. If your taste buds want to try something new and different, try our daily specials from wine to starters to mains. It has a variety of dishes and caters for vegetarians as well. A perfect little restaurant for that perfect occasion...with a hint of Europe. Bon Appetit
Derby England
“Nice Dining Experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

We went to this restaurant on Friday last week as part of a 'Wowcher' deal. It is surprising when you get inside as it doesn't look much from outside. Staff were very friendly and efficient, only 2 waiting staff on and as more and more tables filled were having to stretch themselves. The food was very nice, I had mussels to start, in a very tasty broth, and the venison steak for my main, which was cooked perfectly; the mushroom sauce that came with it was fantastic. My husband had the crayfish salad for starters, he said it was very nice but maybe a little too much on the plate. He had duck confit, which just melted off the bone. We decided to have a dessert as a treat, I ordered the chocolate fondant one (yummy) and he had crème brulee.

There was a bit of a delay in getting our desserts but without us having to say anything one of the waiting/greeting staff came across to or table saying that she'd noticed that we were having to wait and brought us a glass of dessert wine 'on the house' as an apology - must have been a magic glass as no sooner that we had it on the table our desserts arrived.

A negative comment now: we were not offered any vegetables with the meal, I appreciate that they were not included in the main meal, only French fries or potato dauphinoise, I seem to remember them being on the menu as an extra, which we wouldn't have minded paying for but no mention made.

Although we enjoyed the experience of eating at this restaurant we did feel that had we been paying full price then it would have been a little over priced for what it was nevertheless a very enjoyable little restaurant and well worth a try.

• Visited June 2013

Derby, United Kingdom
“A taste of French food in Derby”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2013

We went there for the 2-course Wowcher deal. From the outside, it looks like an ordinary restaurant and does not show any hint of fine dining at all.

When we arrived at 6:30pm, the restaurant was empty. We were received by a nice and friendly lady who showed us to our table.

For starter, I had ratatouille with smoked haddock. For main I had monkfish with mussels and had French fries as my side dish. Since I like spicy/saucy food, I've asked for ketchup but have been told they haven't not got any nor ordinary vinegar (only balsamic vinegar was available!). Food was presentable and was delicious!

The only quibble is the size - portion is a little small. Because of that, we went for the dessert as well (perhaps they did this on purpose so we go for the 3rd course!).

I had crème brulee and I must say it was the best crème brulee I've ever had by far. Having said that, they have slightly burnt my sugar topping so it tasted a little bitter. But the crème itself was really nice!

In summary, nice little restaurant and highly recommended for those who like pretentious small portion fine dining food.

• Visited May 2013
Derby, United Kingdom
“I was expecting more having read previous reviews”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2013

A nice looking restaurant with super staff. We went with a voucher, not having heard of this restaurant before and the food for the price of the voucher was great. (The starters were particularly impressive). However had I paid the usual price for any of the main meals I would have been bitterly disappointed. For £13-£16 on a main I would have expected something more, and on the basis of our one visit here I have to say Pierre's currently remains my favourite, but I wish them well.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank DerbyReviewToo
Derbyshire, United Kingdom
“Divine!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2013

I visited with my boyfriend for his birthday after buying the Wowcher. We were very impressed with the restaurant and the staff. The food was gorgeous and the portions were spot on. They also brought out a little extra for us, some chopped olives on toast (I'm sure it's actually called something a little more eloquent than that!), which were very nice too. The chocolate coulant was divine, as others have said. The restaurant is lovely inside and the tables were roomy - nice and comfortable!

We went in the week so it was a bit quiet but it actually wasn't uncomfortable or lacking in atmosphere. I so hope this place becomes a thriving restaurant, the staff are so lovely and the food is absolutely delightful. Visit, you will not regret it!!

• Visited April 2013
“Superb food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

Did not know this was here until used the Groupon voucher. Very friendly efficient serving staff throughout the whole visit, had an excellent mushroom salad starter and tasty rump steak , fairly quiet for a friday however once awareness increases this will get busier,well worth a visit for something very different in this area

• Visited April 2013