“Good for the soul.”

Calke Abbey
Ranked #1 of 83 things to do in Derby
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Historic great house, which has remained largely unchanged for most of the 20th century, features unique collections, a landscaped park and walled gardens.
Reviewed October 22, 2012 via mobile

I have visited this National Trust property many times over the last 23 years. It never fails to disappoint. Twice this month so far to enjoy the autumn colours, walking the grounds exploring the church, underground reservoir, pools, ancient trees and the deer park. My wife and I became philosophical by the"old man of Calke". Over it's (his?) lifetime we wondered at what it had silently witnessed. Membership of NT is essential to these days out- we wouldn't be visiting so often if we were condemned to pay each time. I encourage you to join. My gift to my God children will be life membership when they reach 18. I wish someone had done the same for me.

Reviewed October 21, 2012

The 18th century bed makes Calke well worth a visit. As NT members we call regularly - the cafe serves quality food - the coffee's good, too!

Reviewed October 19, 2012

This is a hidden gem - the facilities are good with the hot food probably some of the best we have had in a National Trust place. The area for kids to make things and play with old fashioned toys has been revamped and is excellent and the walks around the lakes and gardens are good. You need to visit here!!

Reviewed October 15, 2012

I've visited this property several times, including two of the previous Apple Festivals, this year was disappointing however, and I'm quite sad to see the National Trust cashing in on coffee/tea/snack wagon parked up by the apple festival

The house and garden however are as ever fantastic, a pity that there was a clear divide between surly uninterested guides, and others which were enthusiastic and fascinating to listen to.

Bit of a mixed visit this time, but don't be put off, this place is incredible, unlike Downton Abbey, Calke shows the reality of a grand country house in decline

Reviewed October 15, 2012

The whole of this place including the grounds is a step back to how it used to be! lovely cafe and loads of places to park with your cars and have a picnic! house is beautiful too!