See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed March 18, 2010

I stayed one night whilst visiting a relative in Derby General Hospital. The bus to the hospital runs regularly and stops right outside the hotel. Although I had booked a suite in the lodge, as I was now staying alone instead of with my husband I was moved to a room within the main hotel itself. The room was nicely decorated and clean, as was the bathroom and the bed was comfortable. The reception staff were exceptionally friendly and helpful. The breakfast was fantastic with a very nice and attentive waitress who brings you tea/coffee and toast before you help yourself to the lovely hot/cold breakfast buffet. I didn't dine in the Thyme restaurant in the evening but it appeared popular. Would definitely stay there again and the price was very reasonable.

Stayed: March 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed November 25, 2009

My partner and I stayed here so we could go to Alton Towers the next day as the website had said this was a local attraction. We later found out that it was in fact about an hour away and there were much closer hotels for the same price. After parking in what can only be described as a gravel pit at the back of the hotel we found the hotel in desperate need of a refurbishment and our room was freezing. Unfortunately we choose to eat in the restaurant that night as it looked modern and the menu was inviting. I had the special which was musakka and my partner had the mussels. We were disappointed with the food- both in appearance and taste but the worst was yet to come. About an hour later my partner started to feel unwell and was violently sick. This continued for another few hours and I was so worried I called NHS Direct. They advised the symptoms sounded like the mussels especially as we had both eaten the same for the rest of the day. We complained the following morning but the receptionist was very uninterested offering only to speak to the chef. As we checked out she said that she had spoken to the chef who had assured the mussels were fresh. There was no apology or compensation offered. It left us feeling bitterly disappointed and the weekend was ruined as my partner no longer felt like going to Alton Towers due to feeling sick and weak.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank hxj7942
Reviewed November 25, 2009

I recently spent a weekend in derby at the international and was very pleased with the hotel, I felt the cosy style of the hotel fit in very well with its derbyshire surroundings, the staff were a chirpy bunch and were attentive to my husband and I with regards to information about local attractions.Breakfast was generous and plentiful with all one could ask for. Our room was nice enough and the hotel supplies free wifi which helped me to keep in touch with work!all in all for the very reasonable rates the hotel forfilled expectation and provided us our cosy weekend retreat in the heart of the country!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 7, 2009

This was our 3rd stay - previously all had been fine and we stayed in the East and West Lodges - however, the main part of the hotel is where we stayed last night - it was appalling - the room was tattier than the previous ones but comfy and clean enough. We settled in after being given the wrong key and then told to stay there as we must have BOTH misheard which room we had been given!!!!!! Then the remote control did not work (not that important as we were just very tired). Then just as we had drifted off, a loud noise like drilling woke us!! It was coming from the radiator and we fiddled with it, which made it stop but then it happened again and again - not a pleasant night sleep at all. When we got up the cleaners were sitting in the corridor and outside the room opposite was the tray and leftovers that had been there when we arrived!!! (It was lying there for at least 14 hours!!!!!!!!!!!) When we told reception about the disturbed nights sleep we were told 'not to worry, we will look at it' and 'it has not been complained about before' - now we wanted nothing, we paid, we told them we had not been able to sleep and not one apology did we get for that disturbance - the receptionist was simply not interested

For stale food, bumps in the night and awful customer service I would say avoid this hotel like the plague!! There are plenty of better ones, for the same price in Derby!! International really let us down and we will not be staying again!!!!!!

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank juniper99
Reviewed September 14, 2009

the room was clean but dated the complmentry breakfast was second to none . We stayed in room 404, complete with water stains and dripping tap. no heating on very cold night.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple