See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed August 14, 2009

My partner and I found a deal for 1 night at a hotel & 2x 2 day tickets to Alton Towers. Because it was so cheap we added another night to our package. When we got to the hotel we were greeted by polite staff. The room was larger than we expected, the kettle leaked but that was sorted out without too much aggro. The room wasn't too noisy despite being at the front facing the road. Bathroom was quite a reasonable size for a hotel with a shower on the wall and one attached to the taps. Water pressure wasn't amazing though. Buffet breakfast was quite nice. Hotel could do with a bit of modernising but for the price I'm not complaining!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 8, 2009

I stayed at this hotel as a member of my family had been killed in an accident, as I know Derby really well, I felt that the hotel would be very welcoming.. How wrong was I?
The lady on the desk was telling me how tired she was from her long shift, I traveled from Ireland to be with family at this difficult time so was not interested... The worn down stair carpet, the room signs in the wrong place, the heat of the hotel, the mould on the shower curtain, the shower head that did not work was nothing that could prepare me for the night ahead. Firstly; I was awoken by screaming, then an alarm, then what sounded like a door being kicked in.
Upon checkout the receptionist proceeded to imply she did not have my credit card details and tried to charge me. At this point I was on my phone to Ireland to find out if the right details were received. During our conversation she answered the phone three times and when I explained how inconvenient this was she did not seem to care.....
All in all this hotel had a very unprofessional feel and should be avoided.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank sheilaobrien
Reviewed July 30, 2009

'i have booked many hotels via trip advisor, however this is the first time that i have felt obliged to leave a review. This was my second stay at The International Hotel. It seems that in the space of a year the hotel has undergone major refurbishment. The reception area and restaurant were almost unrecognisable, a real improvement. When we got to our room, we were pleasantly surprised to find that the rooms had also been updated; very spacious (compared to the budget hotels), clean and functional. Overall, our stay at the hotel was made even more enjoyable by the warm and welcoming staff. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank natasha1985
Reviewed July 27, 2009

This hotel appears to be in the process of modernising, with an impressive frontage and restaurant. Unfortunately the rooms are still a number of steps behind and are rather unappealing.

The corridors and room appeared dated, slightly worn carpets and the occasional peeling wallpaper. The room itself was fully functional and rather spacious, with the usual TV, iron & board, and trouser press. I did like the presence of a kettle that filled with enough water for more than a single cup of tea. And though I would normally applaud a room with big windows that opened fully, the room did still seem overly hot for an unknown reason.
It was the bathroom that was the main disappointment - the soap and gels was not enough to offset the horror of the green and orange décor. I also struggled to have a decent shower with the temperature switching from warm to cool at will.

But to contrast the room, I was very pleased with the restaurant and the breakfast buffet was better than expected. The staff at breakfast and throughout the hotel were very professional and deserve lots of praise.

I drove to the hotel and it's a very short drive out of Derby and easy to locate - there is some disabled parking at the front of the building but the main car park is at the back down a steep drive (which was covered by lights and CCTV). It is a quick 10-15 minutes walk into the city and there are several shops and pubs nearby.

There is nothing seriously wrong with this hotel and if you can get a good deal then this place is definitely worth a try but you can find better for a similar price.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 27, 2009

Made reservation for 1 night while there for Moto GP weekend at Donington Park, room was booked for 2 people for 1 night. We checked into room to find it was a single bed (no not even a 3/4 double). couldn't get another room as hotel was fully booked with other racegoers for weekend. The room itself was a throw back to the 50's - very small, wallpaper peeling of the walls, paintwork chipped, a lovely orange bathroom suite with dusty green carpet and furniture which could be sold on the antiques road show (but wouldn't actually make any money! The hallways and stairs had carpets which were all worn which just didn't give a nice look to the hotel. The car park which is down a steep slope at rear of hotel is very dark & 'dingy' so consider extra security for your car! A party going on in the function room below our room went on into the night (only good thing about that was we got to play guess the artist considering we couldn't get to sleep so we made most of it - like they say - if ya can't beat em - join em!) don't know what breakfast was like as we didn't bother staying for it, we decided to go gormet and have a mcdonalds instead. i think you will get much better value staying at premier or travel inn only couple of miles away which is out of the area where the hotel is situated which is pretty run down. Im not very fussy about were i sleep but this hotel had crossed the line in my books. oh the bathroom was clean if thats any help!!! Avoid at all costs.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple