See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed January 11, 2009

This hotel is located walking distance from the city centre with plenty of off street parking Although the decor is a bit tired, the room was clean &spacious, the bed very comfortable with clean linen and plenty of towels. The bathroom could do with updating but hey all the plumbing worked!. The breakfast was a buffet style with lots of choice for a full English (the bacon was cooked nicely)as well as cereal and fruit. Toast, tea and coffee was supplied fresh as required. All this for £45 per room per night. There is a very good hotel restaurant called the Thyme which have reasonably priced meals which are of an excellent standard. I would stay here again if I am in this part of the country and will be recommending this hotel to family and friends.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank aussie051
Reviewed November 16, 2008

I'm from Derby, but now live 'down south' and so have often stayed at the international with my husband when I come to see family. Depending on the site you book with you can get some really good deals. We had a bad experience in the summer which was very unusual and so I wrote a note to the manager, he replied and we stayed again this weekend. It was like staying in a different place, it was calm and organised and relaxing. Andrew, the manager, seems to be there all the time and maybe this has made the difference. All the staff were great, expecially the restaurant staff. They made us feel very special. It does need a bit of redecoration in some places but then we have stayed in lots of hotels for work and pleasure and this is an okay place...........they listen, which is more than can be said for most places.
We would certainly stay again without any hesitation.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mousewise
Reviewed September 30, 2008

The lasting impression of this hotel, to me, is that it is stuck in the 1980s, at least in terms of decor - pastel pink bathroom, old wardrobes, etc.

I was staying in the "lodge", I think they called it - basically, a converted pair of houses two doors down from the main hotel.

Noisy (mostly from the road), very uncomfortable bed, especially bad due to hard and flat pillows. A poor, old shower head for the mornings, in a fairly cramped bathroom. Also, only one power socket in the room, too. And the TV was small and poorly placed (with few channels).

I can't really comment on the main hotel, but I don't expect it to be much different.

Breakfast was passable, not great but enough to fuel you for the coming day!

However, all in all this hotel was a bit of a disappointment - despite its rather nice reception and friendly staff, the comfort of the rooms just doesn't live up to it.

Next time I'm in the area, I'll probably look out for other options, although I wouldn't mind too much if I ended up here again, at least just for a night or two.

• Stayed: September 2008
Reviewed September 28, 2008

My boyfriend and I booked this hotel as part of a two day trip to Alton Towers.

Pros: Cheap and cheerful, Lots of parking spaces at the back of the hotel, nice friendly helpful staff, lovely restaurant with good prices, clean rooms, very comfortable beds, close to the city centre (walking distance to bars and restaurants), fabulous hot buffet breakfast.

Cons: Decor a bit dated, but this doesn't matter atall as the rooms are spotless and all bed linen and towels were new and fresh.
Overall, If it doesn't bother you that the rooms haven't been recently decorated then book this hotel because everything else is perfect.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 19, 2008

This Hotel is situated in area that is probably best described as run down.
The Staff are very helpful but the hotel itself is in poor condition. The room I was in was hot, not particularly clean with chipped paintwork and furniture. The room service food was poor.
The only only positive point is that it has free wifi!
I have paid less in alternate hotels and had must better experiences.
I'll not be returning here again.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)