See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed June 23, 2008

We stayed at the International Hotel for one night as we were in Derby to see friends. The hotel was an adequate base if all you are using it for is somewhere to get showered and changed and obviously to sleep but don't go there expecting great things in terms of the accomodation.

The room was a fairly decent size with tv, tea/coffee making facilities and a double bed. The en-suite bathroom had a bath as well as a shower however the bathroom was fairly dated - avocado suite and green/yellow walls and floor.

I have to agree with previous reviews that the room was VERY hot and stuffy. We had to open the windows as wide as they would go and switch on the fan provided and we were still boiling hot.

Breakfast was included in the price. You eat in the Thyme cafe and the breakfast was very good. There is the choice of full english breakfast, cereals and fruit all buffet style so you can help yourself, as well as tea/coffee and juice. Toast is brought over fresh if requested.

While the International Hotel is nothing fantastic in terms of the accomodation, it provides a good base for visiting Derby, the staff are helpful and the breakfast is great, and considering we only paid £45 for the room I think it is pretty reasonable for the money.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 4, 2007

Stayed here overnight with my 12 year old daughter on a two day trip to Alton Towers. Room was clean and comfortable but a bit dated. Evening meal was excellent, good menu, hot food and very good quality. Breakfast the next morning was just as good with plenty of variety and good quality.
Not the Ritz but good value for money.

Stayed: August 2007
Reviewed August 5, 2007

Negatives: If you are thinking of going here in summer....don't. The hotel was like a sauna and it wasn't even that hot outside. They do provide a fan but even with that on all night (and it was NOISY) it was way too hot. I was glad to get outside. Our room was very dated, remember the decor of fawlty towers and you're there! I think the heavy net curtains were probably original to when the place was built and they didn't look like they had been washed since! There was a cupboard marked fridge (we thought this would be good, at least we could have chilled water) but alas when we opened the door the cupboard was bare. The bathroom was again dated with a peach suite coupled with dark green and white tiles. There were water marks where the taps had dripped and the toilet seat was clearly old. The tv worked but we could only find 6 of the satelite channels and not ones you would want to watch. No BBC1 or other 'normal' tv channels. Finally when searching for my glasses case on leaving I had the misfortune of looking under the bed to find 2 socks (not mine) and a variety of sweets!

Positives: However the shower was good and the water hot and the bath looked a good size, nice and deep if you like a long soak. The sheets were clean and the bed was comfortable and the breakfast was very nice. There is free Wi-fi in the lobby and bar which is a nice place to sit.

I only stayed here for one night and would have found the decor and other minor faults amusing if it wasn't for the intense heat. I have never experienced anything like it before, here or abroad . If you are looking in winter then it would be alright - it is cheap (and the heat won't be a problem) the decor isn't that bad, the room was spacious and the food good. I would strongly advise anyone thinking of going in the summer to look elsewhere unless you like being very hot. I will not be going back!

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed June 10, 2007

The International Hotel is an independent hotel about ten minutes walk (through a not particularly salubrious part of town) from the centre of Derby. The hotel consists of one large building and also a number of rooms in several converted houses down the road to either side of the main property. Somewhat disconcertingly, half of the block in which I was staying appeared to be boarded up, but the general condition of the hotel was fine if not somewhat old fashioned. My room was large with a comfortable bed, work desk, tv and a couple of armchairs - perfectly comfortable for a couple of nights at the reasonable rate of £69 per room B&B which I paid. The bathroom was particularly old fashioned with an orange suite and green carpet, but again it was perfectly sufficient. Breakfast was fine with a range of cereals and toast as well as a traditional cooked breakfast. However, self service in the morning was somewhat slow as this hotel is popular with coach trips which can mean long queues for the buffet when everyone arrives at once. I did not eat in the hotel in the evening as there are plenty of restaurants in the centre of Derby to cater for every taste, however the bar seemed to be very popular and was reasonably priced.

This is certainly not a luxury hotel and it has no leisure facilities or luxury trimmings, but for a brief stay in Derby for business or leisure at a reasonable price I would recommend considering it.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Piglet-Leeds
Reviewed April 15, 2007

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for two nights in October 2005 for the Renault Racing weekend. The room we had was in an annexe next door to the hotel but we are young and fit so it wasn't a problem for us. The breakfast could not be faulted snd neither could the meals in the evening. We got a great deal for teo nights DBB. The evening meal also consisted of coffee (plenty of refills) and chocolate mints which were lovely. We would recommend this hotel to anyone wanting great value for money in a clean and friendly hotel. The decor is a bit dated but it was clean which is the main thing and the beds were very comfortable. The restauarnt is is popular with local residents so I would advise to book your evening meals early if you want to guarantee room in the evening.

• Stayed: October 2005, traveled as a couple