“Perfectly acceptable” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #27 of 29 Hotels in Derby
England
“Perfectly acceptable”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2012

Stayed here for a few days and have to say that I had none of the troubles reported by previous guests. Fine, room furniture was a bit tatty, but everything was clean and decor was in good order. The only slghtly annoying thing was that the TV was not visible from the double bed, the room being an L-shape!

Breakfast was fine, served buffet style from 7am. The beds were comfortable as can be for a bed that is not your own and the staff were all helpful and polite. Didn't try the restauant so cannot comment.

For a few nights in Derby, this was perfectly acceptable and I'd stay here again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2012 via mobile

I booked a twin room for my mother and I with wotif.com but I wish I had read these reviews before I did. There were many things way below standard - terrible uncomfortable beds with sticking out innersprings, no toilet roll holder, the shower dripping all night, a freezing bathroom, the disgusting state of the ceiling above the shower, noise from the room next door at 3am through the paper thin walls, wifi not working in the room at all thoug it was advertised etc. But the worst and most unacceptable incident of our stay was that at 9pm a man walked straight into our locked room with his luggage using a key card and number for our room that reception had given him. This complete breach of our privacy should never happen in any hotel, no matter the star rating. This hotel does not deserve the three stars it claims and I would strongly advise anyone considering this hotel to go elsewhere. Sleep in the car rather than brave this hotel! They get the one star for the heater working and the new tv.

Stayed April 2012
2 Thank Figgy69

Travelers are raving about these Derby hotels

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2012 via mobile

Found this hotel on the internet for 30 pouund a room and saw that the picture made the hotel look really nice. WRONGO, the rooms were nothing like the pictures, the walls were like paper and our light didn't work. When we asked for our light to be seen to the reply we got was "Well you'll have to bare with it and i'll see what I can do" After an hour we were told that there was nothing to do and to ask ffor money off our room when we checked out. Then we went for our 'free breakfast' only to find out that breakfast wasn't included with our room eventhough we were told it was. When we asked about this they yet again said there was nothing they could do about it. The service is terrible, one member of staff was incredibly rude and sarcastic and I would NEVER ever stay here ever again.

Stayed April 2012
1 Thank Jade H
bridgnorth
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2012

Spent the night at the International whilst on business in the Derby area. I was put on the top floor at the front of the hotel and lost count of the sirens wizzing by. After a long day i thought i would try the restraunt for my evening meal what a mistake. I went for the three course Table de hote what a mistake, the soup was cold, i ordered the 8oz rump steak which was tasteless not unlike some second rate supermarket steak. The steak was served with 2 small mushrooms, some vine tomatoes and what appeared to be frozen chips that had just passed the fryer (half were Uncooked in the middle). I got up for a shower and it was that hot you could not stand beneath it. As an ex fireman i am used to heat but i.ve usually had a hose to cool it. Whilst outside of the hotel i lost count of the number of guests arriving with take-aways but it was to late i had already eaten. The menu stated the meal was £16 for the three courses but when i checked out another £4 had been added. My wife and i spent £23 the same price as the International for 2 x 2 course meals the other week at the Fox of Shipley near Wolverhampton may i suggest the chef from the International tries it for both portion size and quality. Never again avoid the, International at all cost.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank paul p
Nuneaton Warwickshire Uk
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2012

Its cheap, its scruffy, the room was gloomy and dingy. The service at dinner was non existent - we were treated like pariahs when we went into the dining room - grudgingly given a very unconfortable table and then we became invisible. As we ordered pudding the staff suddenly understood that we were guests in ths hotel and the penny dropped. they thought we were public popped in for a meal. God help the public in Derby if they go in here.

Stay somehwere else!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank GreenGlassGoblin
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2012

I booked this hotel very late on my trip to Derby for a night out as I was advised it is in a good location which it was. I overheard the staff talking about giving me and my friend a larger room as some of the rooms were smaller? An immediate bonus without me having to squeeze into a small room, So no complaints there! The hotel was being given a refurbishment on one side when I arrived and I was told by the receptonist who checked me in so that didn't really cause me a problem although I could see work being done because things were being carried out the main entrance. The only downside was the dinner menu wasn't served until late and I did get a little hungry earlier in the day despite having a rather nice (For hotel breakfasts) fully cooked english breakfast in the morning. I was given the option for room service but didn't use this as the menu was a little over the top. (I would have liked to see beans on toast with no salad or something) overall my experience was good and I would stay here again.

All of the staff i met during my stay were very friendly.

Room Tip: The lower floors are warmer.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Uttoxeter, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2012

My partner and I stayed here as our christmas party was being held here, the party itself was alright it was a disco themed night and had an average meal, though some of the courses weren't cooked amazingly. The pudding however made up for that. However, the room itself was very dull and quite cramped and the bathroom needs updating. We had bright orange feautures for the bath sink and toilet which looked horrible and did not go with the mismatching carpet that was coming up all over the room. The lifts to the room were tiny and with tow people and tow bags in it was a very tight squeeze, i dread to think how people of a larger build would have felt in them. Overall not a great stay but did the job for a place for us to stay after a staff party but would choose somewhere else in the future.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple