“Martin Sillwood”

Ranked #20 of 29 Hotels in Derby
Derby
“Martin Sillwood”
Reviewed January 27, 2013

The location of this hotel was good, rooms were clean and staff were friendly. We stayed for 3 nights and had a pleasant stay, although the first night the room was very cold. However, after speaking to reception this problem was rectified.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

DCroasdale, General Manager at Hallmark Inn, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Thanks for your review; I’m so please you had a good time stay with us, I’m sorry the room wasn’t quite hot enough for you on the first night but I’m delighted to hear this was sorted out for you when you brought it to our attention.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Port Louis
Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

Well the hotel is perfectly located as it is just minutes walks from the train station....
Then the reception is serviced by friendly people ....
The rooms are awesome as they have all the necessary for a good time... Nice window open full or half as you wish... Heating is good... Parking also is available....
The surroundings around the hotel are nice too. There is a convenience store that opens 24/7 around the corner... There are restaurants like 5 minutes walks and the city centre ans shopping mall is a furthe 10mins. Surely a recommendation for thos who want to see derby...

• Stayed January 2013
Thanks for a great review; I’m so pleased you had a good stay, I do hope we'll see you agian soon.
Burnley, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 6, 2012

Stayed two nights early December.Asked for quiet room-given room 107 overlooking sidestreet.
Bed very uncomfortable-like sleeping on seed potatoes, pillows hard and flat.Towels rough and hard. Taps strange -they turn on and off the opposite way and very powerful flow!Only 3 small milks and one biscuit for two people!
Awakend at around 12.30a.m by the sound of glass bottles being thrown into a container.Then woken again at 6.30a.m. by a lorry delivering to the kitchen door which was just below and outside our bedroom window-there was shouting from the delivery men.
Breakfast very good.

Room Tip: Ask for quiet room
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank binroaming
DCroasdale, General Manager at Hallmark Inn, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Thanks for your review; I’m sorry if you were disturbed in the night as I said on the phone the bottles were not from our hotel but we have spoken to the restaurant up the road. The delivery man in question has been dealt with in an appropriate manner as this is clearly not acceptable when food is being delivered in the morning. Again thank you for your review and I do hope we can welcome you back in the future.
England
Reviewed November 25, 2012

we stayed here for one night following an event we went to in Derby.
The rooms was on the first floor facing over the main road. Windows did nothing to keep traffic noise out and got noisy for a while saturday afternoon as the football supporters were heading to the game.
Room of average size, seemed clean enough. Bed quite hard and pillows quite flimsy.
Shower was good though with plenty of hot water.
We also had quietw a bit of corrider noise in the night and morning, and could clearly hear people talking.
We added the breakfast on when we checked in of £6.50 each but this was dissapointing. When we got down at 9:20 there was no hot food and people standing around waiting for it, eventually some hot gfood came out but as there was a few waiting it soon got snapped up and then the wait started all over again. The chef did come out to apologise but still was frustrating after waiting half an hour and losing my appetite. food was basic of sausage bacon egg beans, but beans were cold and got fed up of waiting for eggs to be cooked.
I did raise my issue with the receptionist when checking out and he kindly waivered the breakfast fee which i thought was nice of him.
overall not bad but not great maybe if there is a next time i will pay extra to stay at the other hallmark across the road.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ellee79
DCroasdale, General Manager at Hallmark Inn, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Thanks for your review, I’m so sorry we got breakfast wrong for you on the morning, it was a internal issue our breakfast chef had been told the wrong numbers and had subsequently got ready far to little food for the amount of guest in house. I’m pleased Jay on reception took your breakfast charge off as a apology.
st germans
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Stayed here for one night and was impressed. Had a single room on the 2nd floor which was roomy and comfortable. Was a little bit nervous about staying as a woman on her own, but no problem. ( I had come up to see my granddaughter in a show). All the staff were extremely friendly and helpful, nothing was too much trouble and they had a wedding reception going on at the same time. It was lovely to have a full size bath, instead of just a shower and with the toiletries supplied, had a lovely soak after shopping on Sat evening and before breakfast on Sunday. Breakfast was good and plentiful, with plenty of choice hot & cold, although didn't start till 8am which surprised me a bit. So can recommend it to anyone, and of course it is right opposite the railway station which was very handy too, and only a quick stroll to the Westfield Shopping Precinct through a green area. If you like shopping there are loads of shops to choose from, but nothing opens till 10.30am on Sundays, so there was no chance of even a paper or a sandwich ready for the train journey. Baguettes are available at the station though. Good value for money and a lovely atmosphere at hotel; impressed.

Room Tip: I was in room on 2nd floor directly opposite the station. As it was cold I did not have the window...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Another great 4 star review! Thanks so much for the review I’m so pleased you had a great stay with us, keep an eye on our website we have some fantastic offer for Winter!
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 23, 2012

Stayed here for one night in a group of 9 girls on a visit to Alton Towers followed by a jolly up!

Rooms - well sized, very clean and comfortable. Modern TV's with lots of channels. Shower was not great but then I never raised this, I am sure it could have been addressed if I had.
Location - 20 minutes’ drive from alton towers, parked the cars easy enough and 5 minute taxi ride to the nightlife. Staff were very friendly and helpful in getting us taxis. Breakfast was limited but good enough.

Overall I would definitely recommend for a short budget break. Great value for what we paid.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Thanks for a great review; I’m pleased you had a supper stay with us. We are well located for Alton Towers and loads of other things, Chatsworth House, Peak District national park to name but two. Hope to see you again soon.
Reviewed October 19, 2012

Stopped here on the 17th October for a course at the Hallmark Hotel (across the road) on the following day. The hotel is a clean and tidy and the hotel reception staff were helpful and friendly during the check-in and check-out (apart from this I didn't really have much need to bother them).

Arrived at 5:30pm and after dumping my bags in the room, I disappeared out to explore Derby - only returning to the room at around 10pm. The room was clean and fairly comfortable, although the heating had been left on at full blast and I was forced to open the window to cool the room down. Unfortunately, passing traffic on Midland Road and revellers spilling out of the nerby pubs and restaurants made it a little noisy, hence the reason for suggesting that you ask for a room overlooking the car park at the back. I just popped some ear plugs in and managed to sleep fairly well (my colleague down the hall and also facing the front struggled to sleep).

Overall, a reasonable choice for an overnight stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the back car park (not one facing Midland Road)
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank BundukiBob
DCroasdale, General Manager at Hallmark Inn, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Great review and great pictures! Thanks for your review and your pictures, so pleased you had a good stay and I do hope we can welcome you back in the near future. The noise from midland road isn’t normally to bad, I’m sorry if your colleague was disturbed