“Great Fish & Chips”

George's Tradition
Ranked #236 of 582 Restaurants in Derby
Cuisines: British
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: Well known in our area
London, United Kingdom
“Great Fish & Chips”
Reviewed March 29, 2013

I was on my way home dopwn to London we had been working all day and had not had a chance to stop for something to eat. On our way we stumbled on the Georges Tradtion in Belper, only a small restaurant but great big portions. The Fish had some of the best batter I have ever tasted, around a great bit of cod. I get the impression that this is a very popular place to eat as we arived at five and it was almost full and when we left there was a queue. If you are passing and need somewhere to have food this has to be the plce.

derby
“Really gone down hill!”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

This used to be our favourite fish and chip place and we would go here every Tuesday and Thursday as a take out for the family so we got used to the great taste and excellent custom until recently.

A few months ago we were lining up for the chips and noticed the ceiling was leaking and the doors broke. They were having problems and have since redone up the place, I didn't mind too much even the time we arrived and it was closed with the deep fat fryer in the car park being fixed my an engineer. We all have these things go wrong and although we had driven 15 minutes to get there we went for a Chinese instead.

However our last visit has well and truely upset me and our family. We arrived as usual in the week for the usual £20 order and instead of the polite boy who normally is serving we had a rude and arrogant new girl. As she was sloppily putting our order together we noticed that she had only put about 15 chips in the trays, my boyfriend asked why she did not give us a proper portion as we had already paid the same price we normally do and she replied "portion sizes have changed, I will get told off if I give you any more." We enquired why the price was the same and that there was no advertising to mention this before we paid and she replied "Nothing I can do." We asked to see the manager and when she saw how little the portion was she immediately told the girl to give us some more. I was appauled by the rudness of the girl serving and her bad attitude and body language. I am also annoyed that we have been paying the same price for the same meals every week for years and to now be told they will cut our portion size with no price difference is not on.

Anyway here is my new review now.. I will be driving to another fish and chip bar from now on.

1 Thank Chrissy H
Derby, United Kingdom
“Great Chippy, very clean”
Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

Good fish & chips while not the cheapest you do get very large portions.

Its very clean and service is fast.

Derby, United Kingdom
“Good Fish and Chips”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

The quality is always excellent - we only have small portions which are more than adequate. The staff are all very friendly and there is a nicde atmosphere. Well visited by many of our friends on the occasions when we feel the need for something comforting.

Visited January 2013
Buxton, United Kingdom
“New review after disapointing visit last time”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Last visited in 2012 and were disapointed with the quality of our meal.Called yesterday(13/3) and found that the restaurent had been re-decorated and new tables/chairs enstalled,it looked very nice but we missed the photo's of the various "georges" on the wall.Had a very nice lunch,good service so things would appear to be back to their usual high standard.Will be going again later in the year.