“Lovely afternoon out”
Review of Bluebell's Dairy

Bluebell's Dairy
Ranked #11 of 95 things to do in Derby
More attraction details
Owner description: Family run Ice Cream Tea Rooms and Animal Patch. All our luxury artisan ice cream is made on the farm from our own cows milk. We have a good selection to try in our Tea Rooms. The Tea Rooms, offers a good range of delicious homemade food and cake.
Reviewed August 28, 2013 via mobile

What more can I say than a delightful afternoon out, my children loved the play area, esp the sandpit and big slide. The animals were lovely all for the cost of £1 for animal food. The lunch we had was delicious and the ice cream out of this world!! This place is a lovely hidden little gem.

1  Thank Lucyg999
in 12 reviews
"lovely afternoon"
in 8 reviews

Reviewed August 25, 2013 via mobile

What a lovely place to visit with young children. And it does not cost a fortune. .
Visited with 5 and 6 year old boys who loved feeding the animals for£1 a bag of food ,they also got chance to hold a some of the small animals in the pet area with the support of a delightful member of staff.
There are plenty of notices and information given about washing hands after touching the animals and facilities right by the animals and outside catering.
The play area was ideal. I don't understand how the children reportedly friction burned themselves previously. One of he slides was fast but not unsafe if parents are supervising them. The boys real enjoyed the sandpit which is vast with plenty of space for lots of children to play at once.
We had a drink and ice cream which we no more expensive than any other play / farm venue.Would certainly return with young children again in the future. And my teenager enjoyed it too.

Reviewed August 20, 2013

A must to visit ,Pannini ,s are excellent also try the Derbyshire oat cakes .The icecream milkshakes are not to be missed .excellent value for Money .
The staff were very friendly and helpful .

Reviewed August 16, 2013

Well what can I say, I am a huge Ice Cream Lover and stumbling across Bluebells has definitely made me and my family very happy! There is a lovely FREE play area and animal patch which is great to keep the family entertained for 3 hours. The food is delicious and the staff are all very friendly. Now my favourite subject THE ICE CREAM! It is just FABULOUS. From Black Cherry Amaretto, liquorice, mascarpone, Dark Chocolate Lavender, etc and the list goes on and on. You must visit this wonderful place.

See more reviews
Reviewed August 14, 2013

I visited Bluebells in August with my mum and two sons (aged 5 and 11) and it was quite disappointing. First off we were shocked to see that the much loved trampoline had been replaced by a boring set of swings, as it has been a hit with the boys the last few times we have been! We ended up leaving early due to both of them receiving nasty friction burns from the large slide, and I noticed the "padding" and the bottom of the slide looked rough to say the least. However the fairly small farm is quite nice to say how disappointing the play area is. The café is very small but sells good quality food and drink. Their ice cream is lovely and a must try! Also look out for the "traditional" pink lemonade which is a true hidden gem! It is a good place saying it is free but it lacks the fun that is needed for a true day out. Also the kids are not fussed about going again and we will probably have to buy another bottle of savlon anyway if we do!

3  Thank amazingsleeps123
Oliver B, Owner at Bluebell's Dairy, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2013

Thank you for letting us know your opinion, but we were extremely concerned that you had not made us aware whilst you were with us, that you felt your boys had friction burns. It is most certainly the first time we have encountered this problem - if you had only made yourselves known, not only would one of our first aiders been rapidly available to help, but we would have been able to collect more information from you.

The bumpy area at the bottom of the slide is a design feature to prevent the children from falling.

Due to changes in Play legislation, the trampolines were removed in June 2011 and this year have been replaced by a very popular and much loved sand area containing 14 tons of play sand)

You are quite right, the play facilities and animal area are completely free and we never claim to offer a full day out, just a very enjoyable few hours in the Derbyshire countryside

We were delighted that you enjoyed our ice cream and food - we are so proud of it as we make it all ourselves!