“Busy, for good reason.”

Ranked #38 of 628 Restaurants in Derby
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed July 1, 2013

We came here last Saturday evening having found it on Trip Advisor whilst searching for a place to eat with our two children and not wanting to end up at a chain pub surrounded by football shirts and vinegar fumes.
Upon finding it packed we feared we would not find a table but a helpful chap found us a place in a side room called The Cottage. The menu was varied and tempting but not over priced. The bar sold a good range of real ales and was run by friendly staff who were able to help with my choice of beer.
I chose the Chicken Geezer Salad which consisted of a very tasty mix of chicken, black pudding and sausage with mixed leaf salad, grated cheese and croutons, while my wife and children had sausage and mash (but really good sausages and really good mash) doused with a luxurious vermouth gravy.
Anyway, most importantly the food and beer were first rate and our children were welcome (though I think only until 8pm). Food and drink for the four of us came to about £33.00 which is pretty reasonable.
But for the children's' bedtimes we'd have stayed for more drinks!

Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

The Exeter has recently set its stall out as a foodies real ale pub, and its the place to go in derby at the minute. The food and the menu look gorgeous so I was a bit disappointed when the food wasn't great, not bad but just not great. A nice piece of fish in not nice greasy batter. Still, a lovely place (if you like proper old real ale pub styling, little rooms etc) avid fab beer.

Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

Ate here twice, the food is of a fairly good standard, the service mixed (first time excellent, second time poor). The menu choice is good and there are some interesting dishes, but I thought some could be improved, maybe with the addition of a sauce perhaps. The beer is great! Good mix of locals!

Reviewed June 30, 2013

Tried this venue after reading about the place in The Saturday Telegraph newspaper a few weeks ago.

Five minutes walk from town centre. We looked forward to the fish and chips. Haddock was good, chips served in a little metal basket with a few pieces of scampi. All served on a wooden platter with mushy peas in a little cup with saucer.

Unfortunately even though tasty, why was the meal cooked to a crisp so to speak. Was the fat old or did the chef just like to fry the food a little bit longer? I watched other meals coming out and again if chips were with the meal, all the chips looked burnt! Meals served with herb mash looked a lot better.

Staff very helpful and attentive. The place is bigger than it looks from the outside. My husband enjoyed his ale which he mentioned was very good.

1  Thank cambridgetravller
Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

I was pleased to see Jaipur on keg, and the cask selection was decent too.
The service was poor; a couple came in after us and finished a whole pint and their meals 15 minutes before our food came. The chips were soft and greasy with skins on, which I hate. No apology was forthcoming and we weren't bought salt, pepper, or vinegar. My scotch egg was cooked to oblivion and the yolk was no where near runny. The quality of ingredients was not great and I'm very surprised its so highly rated.
I will give this place another go because it is a nice place for a pint and the food was reasonably priced. Also, the girl behind the bar was waiting and she seemed to be on her own and very stressed.

1  Thank Halfajobharvey