“Not as expected”

Ranked #38 of 628 Restaurants in Derby
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Visited on a lunchtime, special birthday treat. Most reviews were positive.
Good points: good pint of beer, fast service.
Not so good: Very basic eating areas bordering on scruffy, We both ordered steak and chips. The steaks were tasteless, the chips greasy and seemed warmed up and the peas were a smear of green on the plate which at some up market restaurants may have been appropriate, but here seemed out of place. And finally we were cold and ate our meals with our coats on.
Could we have been unlucky? was the chef on holiday? Managers day off, Maybe, but we wont be going back for a retry.

2  Thank Bqbbin

Reviewed March 13, 2013

How refreshing to visit a pub that still has a traditional feel with smaller snug rooms and a small but well stocked bar that also has a unique feel. The decor has been carefully chosen with eclectic taste. The menu was also a caredul mixture of modern and traditional. I had a savoury courgette cheesecake with pear and walnut salad and wonderful authentic hand cut homemade chips.
I have already recommended The Exeter Arms to friends in Derby and it deserves is high ranking here on Trip Advisor.

Reviewed March 12, 2013

Two weeks ago I came to The Exeter, having thought I'd not come across a pub in Derby that had it all, but I was wrong. My friends birthday, she booked a table (wise decision as it seems always full, have been back again) I arrived and from the moment I got there I couldn't believe how superb it all was. We had Jamie as our waiter, who could not be faulted. Attentive, chatty but not in your way when you are eating and at no point did our glasses run dry as he was there to notice when we needed more drink. He gave advice on the food, even went the extra mile with serving us so well, we got our food all at the same time and there were 7 of us. It was a pub but the display of food was unlike a pub, giant battered fish on wooden boards as plates with deep fry chip wire bowls with hand made scampi and hand cut chips. My friend had the burger and said it was very good and homemade and my other friend loved the three starters she had for a main dish, mackerel pâté being her favourite. Had no idea a band were playing in the room next door, until I went to the loo, which just goes to show, they have good taste in music too! Okay enough swooning, this pub has it all...but shhh don't tell too many people as its a find!

Reviewed March 9, 2013

Great to see the Ex back to its old best when it was one of Derby's premier pubs. Been many years since you could say that but the sympathetic alterations, new brewery beers (Dancing Duck and very good too although "Pedi" still features) and decent, well cooked food are all on the way to taking the pub back to its former heights. Great staff too make this a winner, go and enjoy!

Reviewed March 3, 2013

It was my husband and my first visit to Derby but we'll be back to visit this pub!
Beers were good, as was the wine, service brilliant and very attentive. I had savoury cheesecake, husband had surf & turf burger. Both luscious. Cheeseboard for dessert, fabulous, brie, stilton, chedder and smoked. Plenty of it and very tasty. Just £23 for both of us. You must go!!!