“Fantastic!”

Sadlergates Black Rock Grill Steakhouse
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Derby, United Kingdom
“Fantastic!”
Reviewed February 21, 2013

We dined here for the first time on 15th Feb and what a great dining experience it was. Loved The novelty of cooking your own steak on the hot rock and the quality of the food and the service was superb. The prices were fairly reasonable too, we ate off the valentines set menu and also had some very tasty cocktails. My only qualm with the restaurant was the shabby décor, otherwise I would say this restaurant is a hidden gem and we will be definitely be eating there again.

Visited February 2013

Derby, United Kingdom
“A hidden gem...”
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Ate here last night and cannot recommend it enough. Loved the novel idea of cooking your own steak on the rock in-front of you. Was great fun. The prices weren't too bad either, we ate off the Valentine's Menu, had 1 beer, 1 glass of wine, 1 cocktail, 1 pork starter, 2 fillet steaks with pepper sauce and 1 dessert which came to £75. Not cheap, but not too bad for a steak restuarant, and you get what you pay for.
My only complaint is that the tables simply aren't big enough, so there is only room for a tiny side plate to actually eat your food off. (You can't put sauce on the rock, so can't actually eat your food off it). I think the restaurant should invest in some larges tables to make the experience more comfortable for diners. If you go as a couple and they ask you where you would like to sit, you should ask for a 4 person table so you have plenty of room.
Also, not a complaint, but a slight warning, the restaurant can be very smoky when busy, due to the hot rocks. We came out absolutely stinking of it, not a problem for us as we went home after, but may be a problem if you were planning a night out after? Just something to consider.

Very enjoyable meal, will return.

• Visited February 2013
San Diego, California
“Best steak house in Derby!!”
Reviewed January 26, 2013

The concept of having a hot rock to cook my steak is one of the best things I could have in the UK. My steak is often overcooked by a notch every time I ask for it to be rare and this is one way of ensuring this doesnt happen. Black Rocks concept is great and the selection of steak was amazing! Service was good and the accompanying sauces for the steak were great. Wine selection was reasonable. The steaks were on the pricey side but I dont mind it as the quality was great. A word of caution, if you aren't planning to eat steak at this restaurant, don't expect the same amazing quality. It is on the side of average.

• Visited September 2012
Huntingdon, United Kingdom
“Hidden Gem - a must if in Derby”
Reviewed January 10, 2013

Went on a blind recommendation with 30 colleagues! We did book as the restaurant only has 40 covers so we had the place to ourselves. The place is hidden off a side ally off Sadler's Gate and is very cosy. We had a set menu which included the signature dish of steak on a volcanic 'black rock'. Great service, excellence wine list and outstanding food - great value all road - well done Josh and all the team.

Visited January 2013
Derbyshire, England, United Kingdom
“Great comedy night”
Reviewed November 14, 2012

Having been to a number of local comedy clubs I was quite used to the cheap beer, sticky floors and mid-show burgers but this night was something else. The bar itself is small but nicely decorated and well lit. The atmosphere was cool and relaxed and the drinks very nice. The staff were warm and friendly and the setting just lovely. A little haven in the middle of Derby. I think the comedy night only runs once a month but I would recommend. A cut above.

• Visited November 2012