“Hidden Gem - a must if in Derby” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sadlergates Black Rock Grill Steakhouse - CLOSED

Sadlergates Black Rock Grill Steakhouse
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Huntingdon, United Kingdom
“Hidden Gem - a must if in Derby”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2013

Went on a blind recommendation with 30 colleagues! We did book as the restaurant only has 40 covers so we had the place to ourselves. The place is hidden off a side ally off Sadler's Gate and is very cosy. We had a set menu which included the signature dish of steak on a volcanic 'black rock'. Great service, excellence wine list and outstanding food - great value all road - well done Josh and all the team.

Visited January 2013

Derbyshire, England, United Kingdom
“Great comedy night”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2012

Having been to a number of local comedy clubs I was quite used to the cheap beer, sticky floors and mid-show burgers but this night was something else. The bar itself is small but nicely decorated and well lit. The atmosphere was cool and relaxed and the drinks very nice. The staff were warm and friendly and the setting just lovely. A little haven in the middle of Derby. I think the comedy night only runs once a month but I would recommend. A cut above.

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
“Best steak I've ever tasted!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012 via mobile

Visited here last night after wishing to try for a while now. We took my Dad, who lives in London. When we walked in we were greeted by very friendly and welcoming staff. The waitress was very attentive as it was only us and another couple in there. However, it soon filled up and the atmosphere was great.

We got asked if we would like some fresh bread to start us off (of course I said yes!) As a starter I had the risotto balls, which unfortunately were a bit bland, should have had the confit duck. My Dad and partner appeared to like their starters of soup and homemade fishcake though.

When my rump steak came out I was very pleasantly surprised. I had never seen fresh steak like it. We were advised to take it off the lava rock and cook bits as we wanted. It was the best steak I had ever tasted, I cooked it myself to perfection (I'm not the biggest fan of steak in general either!) It melted in my mouth, which I think showed the quality of Derbyshire beef that they serve. The chips were to die for but I don't think I really needed the mushroom sauce I had on the side. Dessert was a lemon parfait with raspberry samosa. This was good but didn't compare to the steak really.

The only gripe I had was the smoky atmosphere. I knew it would no doubt be like that but an wondering whether they might be able to put some air conditioning in for when it gets busy like it did last night. I'm really not a fan of tuna, so when someone had it on the grill I must admit the smell made me feel a bit queasy. Also, my partner mentioned that it would perhaps have been better to have one central lava rock on the table and bigger plates to put the cooked steaks on. All in all though, a great experience and we will definitely be visiting again!

Derby, United Kingdom
“Dining with the Dead”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2012

we often dine at Black Rock Grill but this weekend attended a special event they were holding for Halloween. Not only the usual excellent food cooked on the rock by ourselves (steak, gammon, salmon options) but interesting ghost stories and historical discussions with Richard Felix.At Christmas Rudolph on the Rock is available!!!! Other events frequently held in Sadlergates bar include comedy club and new and upcoming musicians and singers.
We have also had lunch in Sadlergates and used Sadlergates to you for delivery of lunch menu to my company events.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank derbyramsfan2
Derby, United Kingdom
“Tasty food fantastic service!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2012 via mobile

We went to Black Rock for our wedding anniversary. It's a little tricky to find but very much feels like your in on a well kept secret when you do!
Great food, service was really friendly and quick. I loved being able to cook my own steak !!!
We will definitely be back!!