“Best steak I've ever tasted!”

Sadlergates Black Rock Grill Steakhouse
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
“Best steak I've ever tasted!”
Reviewed November 4, 2012 via mobile

Visited here last night after wishing to try for a while now. We took my Dad, who lives in London. When we walked in we were greeted by very friendly and welcoming staff. The waitress was very attentive as it was only us and another couple in there. However, it soon filled up and the atmosphere was great.

We got asked if we would like some fresh bread to start us off (of course I said yes!) As a starter I had the risotto balls, which unfortunately were a bit bland, should have had the confit duck. My Dad and partner appeared to like their starters of soup and homemade fishcake though.

When my rump steak came out I was very pleasantly surprised. I had never seen fresh steak like it. We were advised to take it off the lava rock and cook bits as we wanted. It was the best steak I had ever tasted, I cooked it myself to perfection (I'm not the biggest fan of steak in general either!) It melted in my mouth, which I think showed the quality of Derbyshire beef that they serve. The chips were to die for but I don't think I really needed the mushroom sauce I had on the side. Dessert was a lemon parfait with raspberry samosa. This was good but didn't compare to the steak really.

The only gripe I had was the smoky atmosphere. I knew it would no doubt be like that but an wondering whether they might be able to put some air conditioning in for when it gets busy like it did last night. I'm really not a fan of tuna, so when someone had it on the grill I must admit the smell made me feel a bit queasy. Also, my partner mentioned that it would perhaps have been better to have one central lava rock on the table and bigger plates to put the cooked steaks on. All in all though, a great experience and we will definitely be visiting again!

“Dining with the Dead”
Reviewed October 30, 2012

we often dine at Black Rock Grill but this weekend attended a special event they were holding for Halloween. Not only the usual excellent food cooked on the rock by ourselves (steak, gammon, salmon options) but interesting ghost stories and historical discussions with Richard Felix.At Christmas Rudolph on the Rock is available!!!! Other events frequently held in Sadlergates bar include comedy club and new and upcoming musicians and singers.
We have also had lunch in Sadlergates and used Sadlergates to you for delivery of lunch menu to my company events.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank derbyramsfan2
Derby, United Kingdom
“Tasty food fantastic service!!”
Reviewed October 30, 2012 via mobile

We went to Black Rock for our wedding anniversary. It's a little tricky to find but very much feels like your in on a well kept secret when you do!
Great food, service was really friendly and quick. I loved being able to cook my own steak !!!
We will definitely be back!!

“Fascinating experience”
Reviewed October 30, 2012

As a first timer, the whole rock experience was brilliant, helpful staff, great quality food and unique collection of beers on offer! will definitely be back :-)

Reading, UK
“A different experience but room for improvement”
Reviewed October 29, 2012

My husband and I were staying in Derby for the evening and I picked out this restaurant before we arrived and booked in advance. The booking process was simple and I got confirmation via email.

Neither of us had tried a restaurant of this nature so were prepared to give it a go. The menu is a little limiting and the dessert choice pretty non exsistent, nothing that interested us anyway.
On arrival we were offered a seat by the window, which actually was pretty cold as the air was blowing in from outside. There was a heater behind us but not really sufficient to keep me warm.
They offered us bread before the meal which was a nice touch but the rolls were stone cold and could have benefited from being warmed up.
I ordered risotto balls for starter which actually had no flavour at all, they were nicely cooked though.
We both ordered sirloin steak on the black rock grill which was the main reason for us going. We were advised by the staff to remove the steak from the hot volcanic rock and cut into small pieces. This did mean you got a more even cooked steak but they only gave us a side plate which was a little tricky for cutting up a sirloin. That said the steak was tasty.
The service received was very good but we feel restaurant slightly lets us down on taste of starters and limited menu choice.

Visited October 2012