“Tasty, tasty, very very tasty!!”
Review of Mumbai Chilli

Mumbai Chilli
Reserve with OpenTable
Mumbai Chilli is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #117 of 612 Restaurants in Derby
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed August 10, 2013

Tucked away in Cavendish, is this lovely little gem of a restaurant. I wandered in by chance, one day and have been back many times since.
The food there is some of the best Indian style that I have tried. It avoids the gimmicky dress code of some of Derby's flashier restaurants, and concentrates on getting the taste right!! The lamb dishes are always a treat and on a cold winters day, you can't beat the lamb shank..tender succulent and falling off the bone!!
I have tried most of the menu and a few favorites are the Goan red chicken curry, which has a mighty kick to it and the mumbai fish curry. From the vegetable selection, the brinjal is very good, and so is the saag paneer malai.
Price wise, this is not going to break the bank. meal for two and drinks for less than thirty punds...yes please!!

1  Thank Rose M

Reviewed August 9, 2013

We visitied this restaurant on a groupon deal and I have to say the food was fabulous. The chicken tikka afghani starter was exquisite and different to any starter i've had in 30 years of sampling Indian cuisine whilst the Goan Red curry was lovely and delicate with the tamarind and garlic overtures shining through.

I would love to rate the restaurant as excellent as on the food alone this would be the case however the chap serving us was as miserable as a british rail ticket attendant and seemed genuinely upset that you were disturbing his day. The other fellow was helpful but i genuinely feel that if the front of house chap was to remain in the kitchen the restaurant would double its numbers!

Reviewed July 17, 2013 via mobile

Firstly you need to know we were eating here using a Groupon voucher with given dates and times we had to adhere to to use it. I booked through the websites online booking site only to be phoned back minutes later by the manager (Brother of the owner) that I should have phoned to book with the Groupon as it stated as they would have to pay a fee to the booking site- this was indeed correct so I verbally booked and cancelled on the booking site - no worries (?!)
We arrived the day after for an early evening meal with the children (6.30) - we were the only ones there
Nonetheless we settled down to the menu and made our choices - firstly I ordered a prawn puree -a starter highlighted on their website - but was then told by the manager that this was not allowed on the Groupon despite the fact that I wanted to pay the extra 50p (as it went over the offer price for a starter) we ordered popadoms though which were not part of the offer (& we were able to pay extra for?) and I ordered onion bahjis and my guest had chicken tikka.
The popadoms came out with a fresh and tasty pickle tray - one bright red chilli/lime/corriander one was new to us and very nice.
The starter arrived my bhajis were crispy on the outside and soft in the middle again served with lovely pickle/sambals - the chilli one again, a bright green corriander one and a lovely tangy tamarind one - the chicken tikka was fresh and well flavoured with a nice white garlic/spiced yogurt coating - not your run of the mill bright orange
This was now where the manager came back to the table and 'told me off' ( in front of my friend and children?!) for coming with my children!
He said that he thought we were going to be a table of 4 adults and he was very busy later and so they'd given up two chairs for my children - pop back to the beginning of this review - we were the only people in the restaurant!!
What made it worse was the fact that on my online booking (the site I shouldn't have used!) in the notes are I said we were using the Groupon voucher and the table was for 2adults and 2 children (I even asked if they had a high chair available))
The chap said he had no knowledge of this despite the fact that he'd phoned me about the voucher and that was the only place it was mentioned so he must have seen it - he was rude and embarrassing!
Anyway the mains arrived I had a red Goan chicken curry that smelt a tasted of smokey curry leaves it was rich, red and well spiced with a good amount of southern Indian heat. The other main was a lamb korma which came out first as a very good looking lamb karai but was quickly swapped for the korma - more child friendly - the sauce was rich sweet and delicately spiced ( a couple of the bits of meat were a bit fatty) lovely nans and pilau rice - the children ate the tikka starter with some rice and nan
The food was all very nicely presented and tasted very good - the waiter who I have not mentioned yet was jovial and informative (when his boss was in the kitchen!)
The only thing that stopped this from being a good/very good review across the board was the attitude of the manager - some people skills required please!

2  Thank djdaz1
Reviewed July 16, 2013

i'll start by saying that I had a bad experience with these guys a few months back and only used them again as we purchased 2 groupon vouchers and had to use the last one.

We rang the restaurant a week ago to explain that we were working and would it be possible to use it for a takeaway rather than a sit down meal and was told yes no problem as long as you order an additional meal, ok fair enough.

We were then advised when ordering this evening how much the meal would cost which seemed expensive, on arrival at the restaurant to collect the food when enquiring about the cost we were advised that even though we had ordered an additional meal there would be an additional £4 charge for the takeaway. That's £4 on top of the restaurant price.

So we were advised we had to purchase more food to use the voucher as a takeaway and agreed to do so, and then charged an extra £4 !!!!!!!!

Why have to order more food only to be charged again ?

I've just contacted the restaurant and spoken to the manager and explained this is penny pinching and not advertised anywhere, his response was to say that we were advised but we were not, absolutely not.

It's a real shame as the food is good but this restaurant is run by a modern day Dick Turpin, they'll look to fleece you at any given opportunity.

There can't be many indian restaurants in this city i've not visited but I will not be visiting this one again after the 2nd incident of penny pinching in as many months.

2  Thank Redman96
Reviewed July 14, 2013

We ordered here for takeaway yesterday after someone recommended them and I have to say i was pleasantly surprised the fish bhuna was amazing and so was the saag paneer, the delivery came quick and efficient will definitely being ordering here again!