“Was not what I expected.”

The Ragley Boat Stop
Ranked #200 of 669 Restaurants in Derby
Cuisines: Steakhouse, International, Pub
Good for: Scenic view, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: A warm welcome awaits you at The Ragley Boat Stop, a spacious pub with relaxing sofas, lots of eating areas, a magnificent garden sloping down to the Trent and Mersey Canal and a super balcony where you can relax and watch the world go by. A superb place to meet your friends for lunch, a night out, or a relaxing afternoon escape with the children. Go on come and visit us!
Reviewed November 28, 2016 via mobile

Decided to take me my husband and my two children for dinner as I had read the reviews and thought we would give it a try.
Approaching the bar, which at the time was quite busy as I expected having looked on google and seen that the time I had arrived was a busy period, there were quite a few younger people at the bar and I was shocked that none of the staff on the bar had asked anyone for I.D. I was served by a young gentleman who was polite and took my order correctly however it seemed like he did not want to be there! No smile no enthusiasm and when I asked for some pepper sauce which he did not hear me he replied with 'what?' Which I fount to be very rude. I think there was one manager on the bar as he was wearing a different coloured shirt, but I didn't seem to see any other adults around. Feels like the pub is run by children. Not only did I hear swearing coming out of the kitchen door as the waiting staff came to deliver food but my food order came out wrong. However the young waitress was very nice and quickly rectified this. The food is fairly priced but I believe it should be a lot cheaper for the service you receive. Will not be visiting again! AVOID AVOID AVOID.

2  Thank AliceHaspel
PippaKHT, Owner at The Ragley Boat Stop, responded to this reviewResponded November 30, 2016

Is this a genuine review?

It seems rather contradictory. You say it is being run by children. All our bar staff are aged 18 or over, and the Manager was obviously behind the bar making sure everything ran smoothly. The Manageress was in the kitchen.

You say the young waitress was very nice and quickly rectified the error to your food order. Then you say the food is fairly priced, but should be cheaper.

MAKE UP YOUR MIND!

Reviewed November 25, 2016

If it looks too good to be true it usually is but it's certainly true that you can get a 24oz steak for £14.50. I'm a regular steak eater and can assure you that my 24oz was very good quality. I think management have had a sort out, certainly for the better. No young girls making regular mistakes or playing to the crowd but more mature lads giving smart and efficient service. They deserve support.

Dear Bigun9, thank you for your excellent review. So pleased you enjoyed your King Henry VIII Special. As it says on the menu, we've been serving this for over 31 years. (That's when my husband got his first pub - The Man At Arms in Bitteswell.) Tracey and Craig have got a great team at The Ragley. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed November 25, 2016

We visited as a family party of five. The menu states 'this is a pub, not a restaurant'. We selected a good table in the spacious dining area and ordered food at the bar We thought we would have some. items from the light bites portion of the menu (Duck Spring Rolls, Southern fried chicken strips) for starters, but they don't do starters! It would come with the main courses if we ordered it. Gave it a miss. I had the Middlesbrough Parmo, which is a butterflied chicken breast fried in breadcrum with a cheese sauce. Very tasty it was too. The fish pie had plenty of fish and prawns in it. Two of the party had the fajitas, which they enjoyed but said the fillings had quite a lot of oil with them. Staff kept a distance but were helpful when asked. Prices reasonable. Ample car parking. We visited on a November night. Hope to visit again when we can see the setting, the garden sloping down to the Trent and Mersey Canal.

Thank you for your great review Ted S. The Middlesbrough Parmo is one of the new dishes on our menu, it is proving to be really popular, I'm pleased you found it tasty. The Homemade Fish Pie is one of my husband's favourites. Yes, come back in the day time so you can see the canal boats berthed at the bottom of the garden. See you soon!

Reviewed November 20, 2016 via mobile

Been a fair few times here and it doesn't disappoint. Good value for money and the steaks are very nice, well cooked and good quality. Fast service friendly staff. Pub food that's good! Highly recommended.

Dear Nick D, thank you for your super review. Great to hear that you find the meals good value for money and well cooked. I'll pass on your comments to Tracey and Craig! See you again soon.

Reviewed November 14, 2016

i visited her in the summer and had the very budget lunch menu so this time i thought we'd try the evening time. the seating inside is comfortable, and you are not rushed to finish your meal and leave.
we chose off the fish section - the seafood platter which is a selection of fishy items such as scampi, scallops and fish goujons and comes with 2 sauces, chips and peas. this was tasty and well-cooked, and well-received, i had the fish pie, which had plenty of fish pieces and prawns in it, and a tasty sauce. there was plenty of cheese on top of the mash (possibly a but too much). the pie itself wasn;t bad but i wouldn't have it again - due to uneven distribution of sauce and skin being kept on the white fish that was used. it also came (oddly) with peas AND side salad, more peas would have been better. the pie did taste lovely apart from the points mentioned. we also had dessert - lemon meringue pie. very lemony but the meringue was soft ( really needs to be crispy on the top).
the prices are very reasonable and it is a place i will visit again, but will choose differently next time.

Dear shirl2014, thank you so much for your comprehensive review. It's great to hear you have tried our lunchtime menu and some dishes from our All Day Every Day Menu. There are lots of meals to chose from and some amazing new desserts too. All our menus are on our website. I hope you will visit us again soon. The fire's lit and the Christmas decorations are up.