“24oz steak for £14.50”

Ranked #202 of 657 Restaurants in Derby
Cuisines: Steakhouse, International, Pub
Good for: Families with children, Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: A warm welcome awaits you at The Ragley Boat Stop, a spacious pub with relaxing sofas, lots of eating areas, a magnificent garden sloping down to the Trent and Mersey Canal and a super balcony where you can relax and watch the world go by. A superb place to meet your friends for lunch, a night out, or a relaxing afternoon escape with the children. Go on come and visit us!
Reviewed November 25, 2016

If it looks too good to be true it usually is but it's certainly true that you can get a 24oz steak for £14.50. I'm a regular steak eater and can assure you that my 24oz was very good quality. I think management have had a sort out, certainly for the better. No young girls making regular mistakes or playing to the crowd but more mature lads giving smart and efficient service. They deserve support.

PippaKHT, Owner at The Ragley Boat Stop, responded to this reviewResponded November 30, 2016

Dear Bigun9, thank you for your excellent review. So pleased you enjoyed your King Henry VIII Special. As it says on the menu, we've been serving this for over 31 years. (That's when my husband got his first pub - The Man At Arms in Bitteswell.) Tracey and Craig have got a great team at The Ragley. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed November 25, 2016

We visited as a family party of five. The menu states 'this is a pub, not a restaurant'. We selected a good table in the spacious dining area and ordered food at the bar We thought we would have some. items from the light bites portion of the menu (Duck Spring Rolls, Southern fried chicken strips) for starters, but they don't do starters! It would come with the main courses if we ordered it. Gave it a miss. I had the Middlesbrough Parmo, which is a butterflied chicken breast fried in breadcrum with a cheese sauce. Very tasty it was too. The fish pie had plenty of fish and prawns in it. Two of the party had the fajitas, which they enjoyed but said the fillings had quite a lot of oil with them. Staff kept a distance but were helpful when asked. Prices reasonable. Ample car parking. We visited on a November night. Hope to visit again when we can see the setting, the garden sloping down to the Trent and Mersey Canal.

Thank you for your great review Ted S. The Middlesbrough Parmo is one of the new dishes on our menu, it is proving to be really popular, I'm pleased you found it tasty. The Homemade Fish Pie is one of my husband's favourites. Yes, come back in the day time so you can see the canal boats berthed at the bottom of the garden. See you soon!

Reviewed November 20, 2016 via mobile

Been a fair few times here and it doesn't disappoint. Good value for money and the steaks are very nice, well cooked and good quality. Fast service friendly staff. Pub food that's good! Highly recommended.

Dear Nick D, thank you for your super review. Great to hear that you find the meals good value for money and well cooked. I'll pass on your comments to Tracey and Craig! See you again soon.

Reviewed November 14, 2016

i visited her in the summer and had the very budget lunch menu so this time i thought we'd try the evening time. the seating inside is comfortable, and you are not rushed to finish your meal and leave.
we chose off the fish section - the seafood platter which is a selection of fishy items such as scampi, scallops and fish goujons and comes with 2 sauces, chips and peas. this was tasty and well-cooked, and well-received, i had the fish pie, which had plenty of fish pieces and prawns in it, and a tasty sauce. there was plenty of cheese on top of the mash (possibly a but too much). the pie itself wasn;t bad but i wouldn't have it again - due to uneven distribution of sauce and skin being kept on the white fish that was used. it also came (oddly) with peas AND side salad, more peas would have been better. the pie did taste lovely apart from the points mentioned. we also had dessert - lemon meringue pie. very lemony but the meringue was soft ( really needs to be crispy on the top).
the prices are very reasonable and it is a place i will visit again, but will choose differently next time.

Dear shirl2014, thank you so much for your comprehensive review. It's great to hear you have tried our lunchtime menu and some dishes from our All Day Every Day Menu. There are lots of meals to chose from and some amazing new desserts too. All our menus are on our website. I hope you will visit us again soon. The fire's lit and the Christmas decorations are up.

Reviewed November 3, 2016 via mobile

Having been here 6 months ago, and having a bad experience we thought we would give it another go so off we went .
On entry we went to the bar one member of staff completely ignored us and another had to come and serve us.
We picked a table and ordered food, although ordering 5min before the table next to us that had 4 ours still came out after. And incomplete after finishing my main meal and having to ask my cheesy garlic bread came .... Burnt .
On finishing I went to pay taking it with me explaining I wasn't prepared to pay for it. I was told I needed to see a manager we waited a further 25min to see one !! Who then told us she didn't think it was burnt and it was the way it was cooked the black round the edge and black lines weren't burn! Despite the fact we had tasted it. And proceeded to argue about. I also mentioned the staff the fact it was so cold in there my self and another customer ate with our coats on! . When she argued it wasn't burnt we simply paid and said we shall not return and will give our reviews .
So all in all cheap food, nothing special. Cold and uninviting, poor customer service, rude staff not greatly clean. Oh and forgot to mention she told us it had taken 25 min to see us as she was in a disciplinary meeting ! Avoid at all costs .

2  Thank tanya1534

Dear tanya1534, we are sorry to see from your review that you were disappointed in your recent visit to us. Your feedback is always welcomed as our aim is to get everything right. We do hope that you will visit us again.