“authentic chinese in derby”
Review of The Excelsior

The Excelsior
Ranked #75 of 621 Restaurants in Derby
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Over 140 dishes, you will be spoilt for choice! We offer a wide range of menus from around the Far East, including Chinese and Japanese dishes. From our popular crispy aromatic duck to our famous black pepper sirloin and fillet steaks, there is bound to be something to tempt your taste buds.
Reviewed July 9, 2014

tried the excelsior during a business trip to derby. the food was good, it was authentic. Service was a bit slow but it's worth the wait.

Reviewed July 6, 2014 via mobile

I used to visit the excelsior often, 6 or 7 years ago it was a favourite destination of ours. For one reason or another I had not been back for a very long time.

So I was interested to see how the place was all this time later... The food itself was absolutely fine, perhaps not quite as good as in the past but no complaints. However the wait of 1 hour 55 mins for the main to arrive was ridiculous. When mentioning my ridiculously long wait, staff just tried to laugh it off, I really don't think they were taking my point seriously. Almost 2 hours from sitting down to getting a main... Really?

It was pretty obvious that staff numbers were too low & not enough time & attention was being paid to ensure our experience was as smooth & enjoyable as it should have been.

Reviewed June 8, 2014 via mobile

... And even better service! This place is a real gem. The staff are the friendliest we've ever dealt with; the food is amazing - full of flavour and not your typical takeaway rubbish... A real find. Don't be out off by the exterior, the food and service more than make up for the outlook!

Reviewed May 17, 2014

This restaurant has been around for years and is a favourite for all Derby people and also from different areas....food is so fabulous and the host is so lovely she makes you feel welcome and there's nothing to much trouble. I recommend this restaurant 100% as a few years ago you really wouldn't of been able to of got a table. The only reason is because that end of Derby town has gone dead with closures of nightclubs & taxi ranks... Seriously if you love a fab Chinese cuisine this place is a must.. you really won't be disappointed.

Reviewed May 5, 2014

That title is no exageration. The staff are friendly and attentive and the food is just fantastic.
I came here about a week ago for the first time having walked passed it a few times in the past and it was so good I've already been back and can't wait to go again.

The crispy beef in chilli sauce is the best I've had anywhere, and never being a fan of sweet and sour chicken I thought I'd give my friends a try and miraculously it was my favourite dish. For starters we had crispy lamb with plum sauce and lettuce and it's really delicious idea and great start to a meal. Also had the satay chicken starter, duck in hoisin sauce main and the specail fried rice over the two visits and all were superb, I would reccomend all of them.

I've not yet gone to the buffet but am excited to try it out when I do. I think this resteraunt is going to become my regular chinese. A lovely atmosphere and truly magnifiecent food.