“Look beyond appearances!”
Review of Aston Court Hotel

Aston Court Hotel
Ranked #17 of 29 Hotels in Derby
Reviewed April 2, 2014

This hotel was booked for me by someone else and my heart sank as I walked the few yards from Derby station toward its uninspiring - frankly ugly - frontage. Once inside however I was charmed by the staff and their willingness to do everything they could to try and match my requirements to try and overcome my disappointment. The public area is not a thing of beauty but it probably serves the purpose of a late night crowd really well. What I can tell you for sure is that the bedrooms are great - of a surprisingly high standard, the sleep quality was exceptional for a city centre location and I have just had a quite excellent breakfast. I wouldn't have booked here and I certainly would have walked right past if I could, but now, the spectacular customer service skills of Matt and the rest of the team mean that I may well book it out of choice if I ever find myself back in Derby. And that's a really big turnaround for me.

Room Tip: Ask the staff, they'll help you and they'll tell you the history of each room as well. I was...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
John R, General Manager at Aston Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2014

Thank you so much for leaving feedback, I am glad you chose to give us a chance regardless of your first impressions from the outside. My staff do strive to make all guests welcome and for them to leave the hotel feeling like they have had a home from home experience. I will ensure Matthew reads the positive feedback regarding himself and his service to you.

Reviewed March 30, 2014

I planned this trip and specifically asked about disable rooms and their proximity to the main areas of the Hotel as well as the parking for blue badge holders. I was assured the rooms were very close, up just a couple of steps to the Bar and dinning area and the Disabled parking was by the back door which was a few steps into the Bar Area/Reception. Both counts were wrong but sadly it was worse than this. there is NO designated disabled parking, staff park closest the rear entrance but the visitors car parking is to the rear of the property on a rough and unlevel patch of land where a building has been demolished. Its then a 100 foot walk to reception, slightly shorter for the bar, through 2 fire doors and a short corridor. There are then 4 steps to negotiate to get to Reception and check in. There are then 2 steps, a very narrow and winding corridor and an uneven slope to negotiate, complete with 2 more fire doors before getting to just one of 2 Disabled rooms on the ground floor. There was no offer of assistance with our bags and you would not have got a wheelchair down the tight corridor. The bedroom was large and with a reasonable wet room, except there was a lack of correctly placed grab handles and NO shower seat or stool and none available at reception. The bed was fine but the floor was uneven and caused me to fall. Both pull alarms were tied up to close to the ceiling so were in-effective. The room needed a good hoover and dusting, though the bed linen was clean. Back through the corridor and 4 steps in total into the dining room and another 2 once there to get to where the food was laid out. Dinner was expensive so we skipped that and whilst Breakfast was tasty we had no offer of assistance as i struggled to carry, toast and breakfast and negotiate 2 steps with a walking cane. In fact the Saturday morning staff were devoid of any personality, character or sadly manners. "What do you want?", was one question, "Wait I am busy", was a retort to my saying "excuse me", another customer got told to "hang on". Both men had faces like thunder and spoke very little though I later established their English was fine. Luckily the staff on Sunday, apart from one male, was much better and we got smiles and pleasantries and even a joke or two.The receptionist as we arrived, who was also on on Saturday evening was civil and pleasant as was the barman who was cooking the breakfast on Sunday. Both nights my wife and i had broken sleep with people coming and going all night in the rooms or corridor above our head, creaking floorboards and even at 3am people were moving about. Then on Saturday night a group of women from the room opposite were happy to stand in the corridor shouting and laughing loudly at 3.15am causing me to open my door and speak civilly to them and I just got a torrent of abuse, I know that isn't the Hotel's fault but badly creaking boards over our head were and i suspect it was staff coming and going. So as a disabled person would I stay again? No, without doubt not and would not recommend others stay either.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family

I am very sorry to read that you had such an unpleasant time whilst staying with us and found the facilities did not meet your needs. I take on board your comments regarding the hotel and the staff and will be discussing this with the staff concerned.

Reviewed March 26, 2014

Stayed for two nights on go groupie voucher, the room we were in, 303, was very small and could have done with a good hoovering and dusting, the bed linen was clean and the bathroom excellent. The breakfast was decent and the staff were ok but when I asked if there was any more milk I was asked if I wanted more, I wouldn't have asked if I didn't want more! There was an unpleasant smell in the bar area coming from the floor, I presume there was a problem with the drains as workmen had a drain cover up in the car park on the Monday afternoon. I don't know whose idea if was to paint the frontage white but I personally think it was a big mistake as it takes away from the grandeur of the building. Overall the whole building could do with updating but I would return.

Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Roniwilson

I am pleased to read that the few points you have made about the hotel have not put you off returning to the hotel in the future. Unfortunately the hotel exterior was already painted white when I started at the hotel. We did have an issue with the drains which ran into the street, this was resolved as quickly as possible by ourselves and the local drainage company.

Reviewed March 26, 2014

Even though the staff were nice and professional, the hotel itself looks very tired, the room smelled funny, bathroom was cold and room and bathroom really tiny. It could do better if some refurb is done.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business

I am so sorry to read that you did not enjoy your stay with us and found the hotel very dated, this is something we are working on at present however as you can imagine it is a costly process and takes some time. Hopefully when the work is complete you will visit us again and have a more enjoyable stay.

Reviewed March 23, 2014

Hotel is located a minute walk from train station ideal if using train to explore. There is a secure car park to the rear. It is located a short walk from Westfield shoping centre an local attractions.
stayed using Amazon voucher for few nights & included lovely afternoon tea. Greeted by friendly staff and nothing seemed too much trouble.
Room was pleasant and clean with good size wardrobe and toiletries. Some areas could do with renovating a bit but this is a lovely friendly comfortable hotel with a bit of character. Had an enjoyable few days thanks to the friendly staff.

• Stayed: March 2014

Thank you, what a lovely review to read. I am glad you found the deal to be of great value and do hope to welcome you again in the future should your needs require a stay in Derby.

Reviewed March 20, 2014

My wife and I stayed here last week for 2 nights on a Amazon deal. We had room 102, which was a lovely room, really cosy and extremely clean. We had a very warm welcome from the receptionist & had an afternoon tea which was excellent! The breakfast was marvellous & a very good quality. Our only little gripe was that we had to ask for our pot of tea & coffee to be served on our second morning, after waiting at least 20 minutes, also we were not asked if we wanted refills on either morning.
The staff worked very hard & were very pleasant. We will certainly be booking again.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank youngatheart096

Thank you so much for leaving feedback regarding your recent stay with us, I am sorry you had to ask for beverages at breakfast time, this is not usually the case. It is nice to know it did not ruin your stay with us at all.

Reviewed March 18, 2014

Great hotel and Excellent staff, Emma was excellent so were all the other staff. Afternoon tea was great as was food in the restaurant,Breakfast was very good and just enough help yourself. Perfect location for station or town.We did not move car as car park was very secure with electric gates so used train to travel. Room was great four poster with fridge and tv. only down side was the whirlpool bath did not work (seems it had not from when it was fitted) but did not spoil a wonderful weekend we enjoyed ourselves so much will be back soon to see all our new friends (THE STAFF) D AND P FROM MANCHESTER

Room Tip: Room and hotel great value for money
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
John R, General Manager at Aston Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2014

Wow, what a lovely review to read. I am sure Emma will be very pleased that she contributed to making your stay so wonderful and enjoyable as will the other staff. We look forward to welcoming you back in the not to distant future.