“Poor service standards, cleanliness and dreadful food”

Hallmark Hotel Derby Midland
Ranked #14 of 29 Hotels in Derby
Peterborough, United Kingdom
“Poor service standards, cleanliness and dreadful food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2013

We booked in to this Hotel for 1 night to attend an RAF reunion - the Hotel had been used in previous years and many of the Squadron members were keen to go back having had very happy memories of the Hotel and previous reunion events. How wrong they were !!! We spoke to other Squadron Members during our thankfully brief stay and to a man & woman they were unhappy with some or all aspects of their stay - the biggest complaint was the standard of the food at the main reunion dinner on the Saturday night I for one couldn't manage to eat the main course as the pork was so tough and I am one of the younger ones imagine how bad it was for some of the older members !! Most of the staff at the dinner were good but we had a problem with a leaking wine cooler which had drenched the table and the cover plus one of the chairs and we were told it would be OK being left like that - Oh no it wouldn't not a good start. Our room was dirty with ragged towels in the bathroom and the bed was supposed to be a zip and link large double had been left as 2 singles - when we complained we were told the room hadn't been serviced from the previous occupants !! It was much better when we went back later. Breakfast wasn't any better the tea and coffee was dreadful out of the jugs - the muesli had large lumps in it - plates for the hot breakfast buffet were stone cold and the flora had melted to liquid which went everywhere - unless a miracle occurs before next September I would not consider returning to this Hotel.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else !!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank jillyannie
DCroasdale, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Derby Midland, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Thank you for your review, our ops team spoke to a great deal of the guest attending the weekend and the feedback we received was overwhelming positive. I had been made aware of the leaking ice bucket, the waiter should have changed this as soon as he was made aware my apologies this wasn't the case, however as soon as the banqueting manager was informed I believe the whole table linen was changed. I was also aware of the feedback about just the main course on the evening which I have written to your chairman about.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
Bellshill
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2013 via mobile

We recently stayed in the hotel, 27th Sept - 30th Sept. When we had been booking we looked at a few hotels in the area that where cheaper but I wanted to pay a bit extra to stay in a nice hotel, looking back I wish I had taken the cheaper option. The hotel was lovely but just lacked in a few areas and left me disappointed.

The hotel was really lovely and pretty, from outside and also in foyer/bar area. The room we stayed in was in the newer extension and while it seemed nice it had a few flaws, from a bedside light not working and the heated towel rail not working. The heat in the building was crazy, we had the fan (in the cupboard under the TV) on the whole time we were there. The hairdryer in the room was useless, thankfully I took my own hairdryer. On the plus side, the room was clean and comfortable, only issue with the cleaning is on the 3rd day the maids didn't replace our wet towels only folded them and put them back over the towel rail! There is a little garden at the back of the hotel, nice place to sit and cool down from heat inside. Carpark is just behind the garden, did get some bird poop on the car but if you park under trees what else do you expect.

We didn't take breakfast in the hotel, to be honest I felt that it should have been included for what we paid for hotel, other places about that have breakfast included that would have cost us less. We would have added breakfast on once we got there but for what you get price is too high, there is a Little Frankie's in centre that does an amazing breakfast at half the cost.

Was very disappointed in the bar service and room service. We came back to the hotel after 11pm and decided to have a few drinks in the bar, tried paying by cash but were told they don't accept cash at that time!! So we had no choice but to open a tab on the room, slightly confused how they can offer weddings and functions in the hotel if they can't accept cash at 11pm. For the room service, apart from the all ready over inflated price (£6.20 for a sandwich) there is a tray charge of a whopping £4.20 (I think, it's def over the £4) also after 10pm all you can have is sandwiches, chicken masala or mushroom stroganoff (£14.95), unfortunately for me it was almost midnight by time I decided I was hungry and none of these 3 options were appealing to me, they have things like nachos before 10pm can't see why they don't offer after too, though this silly tray charge was off putting anyways.

Staff were polite enough, but no real customer service skills, the guy at the bar seemed confused to find himself behind a bar and didn't seem like he knew what he was doing. The staff at reception were friendly but at check there was no "thanks for staying with us" "how was you stay?" or anything like that.

To be honest I wouldn't stay there again, I went expecting a better stay, and was really let down.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank nattydoll
thanks for your review, we do take all our guest feedback very seriously and do try to use it to improve future guest care when possible. It seems you were aggrieved by what you had paid in the first place, our aim is always to look after all our guest and we do have a duty manager on the premises 24 hours a day who would have tried to resolve any of your issues.
WIDNES
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2013

The last time I stayed at this hotel (then the Midland) it was shabby, however what a transformation upon my recent visit. Excellent score re the staff, all very courteous and very helpful from checking in to checking out. The hotel as a product met all my expectations and excellent private car parking on site takes away the worry of leaving the car on the street. Very clean and well cared for hotel, definitely not shabby this time around. Thank you for an excellent stay, well done to all those employees who I found to be polite, cheerful, pleasant and tidy as they are the ones who are usually on the pointed end and have to deal with people whom are the good bad and ugly at times. Will definitely visit again, keep up the good work.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks for a great review, the team love to hear such great comments.
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2013

I stayed at the Hallmark on business recently and it was a very convenient location for me being so close to the train station. The building is lovely and my room was clean and perfectly adequate for my needs. It was a little warm, but it was so cold outside that it was very pleasant when I first arrived, but during the night it got a little too warm which was a bit uncomfortable. The décor is nice and in good condition. The staff were all very helpful, even during breakfast time when it was apparent they were very busy but they were still attentive and friendly. It was nice to stay somewhere a little more interesting than the usual plain and rather dull business hotels, and I would return to the Hallmark Derby if I am in the area again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2013

I got treated to the afternoon tea as a birthday present. On arrival we got informed to find 'Shona?' To seat us.... Very helpful, not. We had called ahead and booked a table for 12pm and asked for a high chair. As they were still mopping the floor at 12;10 we had to wait in the bar. Not helpful, trying to explain this to a 5month old.....

The afternoon tea, if stale bread, dry cakes and nothing to drink is your thing, this is the place for you. There was no one around to ask for a drink (we got served one on arrival) the cakes left your mouth as dry as it would be in a dessert, the chances of finding water in a dessert would be easier than finding staff.

If you are disabled or male don't take young children as the only changing facilities are in the female toilets.

All I can say is no wonder we are the only people here. I know my sister paid £47 through last minute for this experience, not even a glass of prosseco offered! Awful!

• Stayed September 2013
Nottingham
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2013

Stayed one night on an experience more voucher, paid for an upgrade for a suite,(£75 extra) as it was my birthday, the room was quite big on a corner overlooking the train station, which was incredibly noisy all night, taxis pulling up constantly and seemed like the drivers having conversations all night too.The room was the oddist room I have ever stayed in, there is a completely separate living room, which lacked so much warmth and character, it reminded us of a doctors waiting room,it didn't feel like part of the room at all. The Shower was awful, just trickelled at best,and very mouldy around seals.
The breakfast was good, lots of fresh fruit, good choice overall, we waited ages to be offered a hot drink though, and when it came the tea is poured straight from a teapot,so was unbelievably stewed, hope that idea does not catch on.
The communal parts of this hotel are lovely, the bedroom we stayed in was not, to say it was an upgrade, so I wouldn't like to see the standard or exec rooms.The hotel is in a very good location for the town, but you have to bear that in mind if you like quiet.
All staff were very friendly especially girl on check-in,made to feel very welcome.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the station, dont pay extra for a suite, not worth it.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
AYLESBURY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2013

Just stayed at the Hallmark Derby with a group of people with Parkinson's for four nights, great room for wheelchair access, also great service from all the staff especially the customer service manager.
Food and service excellent in the dinning area, nothing to much trouble, would recommend this hotel to anyone but especially someone wanting to take an elderly relative on a break.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends