“Comfortable stay in Derby” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hallmark Hotel Derby Midland

Hallmark Hotel Derby Midland
Ranked #14 of 29 Hotels in Derby
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Comfortable stay in Derby”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

We stayed 2 nights in Jan 2013, visiting Derby for a wedding. We liked the hotel a lot - the photos of railways showed it was one of the first railway hotels - but everything is up to date and comfortable. The staff were friendly and efficient, the room and breakfast were good value. And the wedding reception was enjoyable and well organised with good food.

Room Tip: Creaky floors meant we heard people walking about overhead! Don't know how to avoid unless you c...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
DCroasdale, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Derby Midland, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Thanks for a great review; I’m so pleased you had a good stay with us on this occasion. I am Looking forward to welcoming you to the hotel again in the near future

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
cambridge uk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2013

Our stay at the Hallmark Hotel was fine its nicely decorated theb staff were very friendly and on the whole we were satisfied..there are just one or two niggles!!
Firstly in our double bed room the first night we had only one bath and hand towel! yes they did bring us extra the next morning..the bedroom 152 had a huge easy chair as well as a smaller chair! Couldnt quite see the need for such a big chair ..it had splayed wooden arms, there was no adequate space for it so they had it sitting in the walkway to the bathroom... I got up during the night half asleep and caught my thigh on the arm of this chair, it grazed me very badly and even now four days later I still have large saucer size multi coloured bruise...We moved the offending chair into the bathroom which was very large with nothing in it! Our bathroom shower blind was also broken and we couldnt raise it...my other moan was breakfast on first day lovely..second day not so good, no mushrooms, no black pudding..had to wait for scrambled eggs but not that vital but for a good hotel is it acceptable?

Room Tip: the pother members complained about hard beds and noise but to be very fair we found our bed comfy a...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thanks for a great review; I’m so pleased you had a great stay with us. I’m sorry to hear you bumped your leg on the chair in the night, hope all is well now.
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013 via mobile

Pro's - Lovely decor in the main reception of the hotel, clean throughout, large rooms with modern decor (although some previous reviews stated that bathrooms were outdated, ours was very modern so maybe we had a refurbished room?). Huge bed with an extremely comfortable mattress, lots of wardrobe space and free parking (although limited spaces). Mostly friendly staff and the garden looks beautiful at night with the trees lit up. Good quality shower products supplied.

Con's - We were not informed of breakfast serving times at check-in so we had to ask a another guest later on. Although the mattress was comfy the pillows were very hard and not comfortable to sleep on at all. Even though the room was nice and warm when we arrived I woke up in the early hours of the morning freezing cold, not sure if this is because the heating is on a timer or because the windows aren't double glazed. As other reviewers have stated, Breakfast was a a but of a disaster - we were given a table that we could hardly sit down at because it was wedged into an alcove. We were then told that if we wanted fried eggs to 'go and get one now as some have just come out' so I went up to the buffet, however after getting the fried egg they had ran out of sausages, bacon, tomatoes and scrambled eggs (yes, really) and I had to stand there and wait for nearly 10 minutes until they were stocked up again - by then my fried egg was cold but I couldn't get another one as they had then ran out of those too! I have read the Managers response about this issue on other people's reviews but I really feel that as this appears to happen quite often then he really needs to rethink his 'little and often' approach to restocking the food as guests should not be left standing there with half a breakfast. Need to be better organised in the restaurant I think. Also, please note that there IS tea and coffee making facilities in your room but they are hidden away in a cupboard and I didn't even realise until in the morning when we were leaving - it is like they don't want you to know they are there, would have been a lot better to just put them out neatly on the desk. Drinks at the bar are expensive but I suppose you come to expect that in hotels now.

Overall a not a bad stay and I would return if I thought that the breakfast issue was sorted out!

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks for your review. I’m glad overall you enjoyed your stay and that you’ll come back and stay with us again. I have brought your comments to our kitchen and restaurant manager attention.
Stamford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2013

We loved our stay in the Hallmark Hotel Derby. It is one of the best, with super staff, cheery and helpful. The Sunday breakfast was excellent, with especially tastey sausages - scrumptious!. I love the decor and your jet-black chandeliers, tres chic.
Special thanks are due to Maggie and Sue Waters for locating the phone charger I left behind.

We have been with you before, will we visit you again? YOU BET YER LIFE WE WILL.

A good New Year to One and All, and many may ye see.

Claire Sophie Stafford-Swithenbank-Grove, and David Grove

Room Tip: .We were room 161. It was comfortable, roomy and very well serviced. If I could, I would have taken...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sophie Claire S
Wow what can I say 5 stars thanks for a fantastic review! We have a great team and a beautiful hotel which we are very proud of, it’s great to hear we are getting it right for our guest. Your special comments about Sue and Maggie have been passed on. Hope you’ll come back and see us again in the near future.
Belfast, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2013

This is the first review I have written on a hotel. I stayed in January 2013. The entrance hall is impressive and staff are accommodating. The corridors to the bedrooms are tastefully decorated. The rooms are a good size, however, the decor appears outdated and what I would describe as drap. I asked for a quiet room and the receptionist ensured the room was on the 'inside' of the hotel. I could not hear traffic, however, I could however hear neighbours using the bathroom so walls are thin. The evening food menu is limited and alcohol appears expensive. The breakfast buffet was cold and that was going to breakfast at 8am. The resturant was not busy. In comparing with other four star hotels, it feels like there is something missing. There is no extra 'something' that would make me feel I would like to return. Staff are accommodating but not friendly. Food range and quality is average. Overall, rooms are average. I can see that this hotel has tried to make it a four star but my opinion is it is a three star. It is average.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thanks for your review. I must admit to being very surprised about a number of your comments about the decor, team and our service. We do try very hard and our aim is to ensure every guest has a great stay with us I am sorry if this wasn’t the case for you. I do hope you’ll give us another try in the future.
Leicestershire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2013

We attended a wedding reception and were very impressed with everything. We had drinks and canapes in the bar then moved to the garden room for the wedding breakfast. The food was excellent and service attentive. Two of us were breastfeeding babies and we asked if we could have the use of one of the rooms for feeding and this wasn't a problem at all. Very impressed

• Stayed January 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thanks for a great review; I’m so pleased you had a good stay and enjoyed the wedding you attended, I am pleased the team were able to help you with your request. I do hope you’ll come back to us again soon.
lancashire, england
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013

Arrived here for a two night midweek break with my husband just after New Years.
On first impressions the hotel has a nice look, lovely decor & style downstairs. Our room however although a great size, especially the bathroom, but it was a little dated.
I'd read previous reviews & noted some rooms could be noisy & so I requested a quiet room. I wouldn't say it was quiet as it was directly next to the lift & so I could hear that almost constant from about 6am - we also had a fan unit going all night right next to our window (I had the window open as the room was so hot).
These are the only downsides though, the food is lovely both the breakfasts & in the brasserie.
A little to is you are panning on dining out during your stay & like Indian food - we went to the Vichroy restaurant practically opposite ( just to the left) - amazing food! Most defiantly the nicest curries we have ever eaten!
Location of the hallmark was perfect for us - within easy walking distance to the high street for shopping, directly opposite for those wanting to commute via train.
We enjoyed our stay & would return if we were in the derby area again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
DCroasdale, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Derby Midland, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Thanks for your really positive review; I’m so please you had a good time with us. Sorry if you were disturbed in the evening. I do hope we can welcome you back in the future.