“Nice little restaurant”
Review of Cucina

Cucina
Ranked #6 of 596 Restaurants in Derby
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Italian trattoria, serving homemade fresh food 5 days a week. Family run, local institution, opened by Alfonso Mallardo, and now run by his two sons. In the evenings, we serve a mixture of Italian classics, and some more adventurous specials. Pop in for lunch for a quick bowl of pasta or platters of antipasti.
“Nice little restaurant”
Reviewed December 15, 2013

We visited as a party of 4 and at late notice they managed to find us a table. The host was very welcoming, jovial and made you feel like he was welcoming you into his house.

The menu was not exactly extensive, but it's a small restaurant and what we had was lovely. I had a tagliatelle dish, with beef brisket and it was fantastic. I recommend having that as your main, because if there was no-one looking and no-one there, then I would have quite happily licked the plate clean. The couple that we were with, had the pork and they found it equally delicious.

The reason I took away a star was because of the desserts. My girlfriend tried the doughnut, ice cream and bacon(?!), which worked, but it was just ok. I had the banana bread and butter pudding which was very bland. You could only get a faint taste of banana, so both desserts were a thumbs down.

But it's a lovely little restaurant, a wonderful host and the main courses were delicious. I'd just pass on the desserts.

Melbourne, United Kingdom
“Wonderful Experience”
Reviewed December 15, 2013 via mobile

I visited Cucina with a group of friends just before Christmas as part of our "Tour of Derby restaurants" experience. Due to the time of year I was advised before the day that the menu would be their Christmas menu but this was certainly not the standard boring turkey, veg etc that so many churn out at this time of year.
Each course was a lovely and very imaginative creation that had a festive charm but was very high quality. The most creative dessert in my eyes was the Doughnut bites, maple glaze and crispy bacon with vanilla ice cream. The bacon made it sound rather Heston Blumenthal and it turned out to be wonderful!

The staff were very attentive and catered to our every need without being intrusive.

The menu was a set price per person but the selection could be two or three courses with the appropriate adjustment in price. Cost was very reasonable making budgeting easy.

It's a restaurant I could recommend to anyone and it's on our list of locations to visit more than once. Very few come into that category but we were told the menu changes every few weeks so we look forward to trying it in mid year.

Visited December 2013
1 Thank Paul C
Derby, United Kingdom
“Simply very very good food!”
Reviewed December 14, 2013

We went to Cucina for the first time yesterday with friends and we were very impressed. The restaurant itself is spacious and attractive. The menu is Italian, without being overly traditional, and is small - 3 starters, 3 additional pasta/risotto dishes that can be served as a starter or main, 3 mains and 3 puds. But to be honest, when the food is this good, you don't need more choice as everything was cooked to perfection.The pasta with braised steak in particular was incredibly tasty. I liked the fact that it was a fixed price for 2 or 3 courses, so everyone felt comfortable picking exactly what we wanted without worrying that we were being the greediest!

The wine is very reasonably priced starting at £11 per bottle and they served very good coffee too. The restaurant is family owned and the service is excellent. With 2 bottles of wine and tip it came to less that £30 a head which is a genuine bargain for food this good. I will certainly be going back.

Westport, Ireland
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great all rounder”
Reviewed December 10, 2013

My Girlfriend suggested Cucina based on some online reviews and we thought we would give it a shot. Knowing very little about the place and based on my initial impressions, I was just expecting a nice simple Italian restaurant. However, we received service and food fair superior to anything we could of imagined!! Hosting was outstanding, and the food was out of this world!! and all very reasonably priced!! A must visit!!

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Mark K
“Return to Cucina”
Reviewed December 9, 2013

My second visit to Cucina since the reopening. Once again an excellent meal with, as usual, attention to detail. It is a good job that we booked as most tables were full. Green Lane is not in the central eating area of Derby so to find such a friendly restaurant in this area is very welcome.
yes, and confirm my view, thanks for remembering I do like sugar in a bowl and not in a packet!
Thanks again