“Wonderful Experience”
Review of Cucina

Cucina
Ranked #19 of 629 Restaurants in Derby
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Italian trattoria, serving homemade fresh food 5 days a week. Family run, local institution, opened by Alfonso Mallardo, and now run by his two sons. In the evenings, we serve a mixture of Italian classics, and some more adventurous specials. Pop in for lunch for a quick bowl of pasta or platters of antipasti.
Reviewed December 15, 2013

I visited Cucina with a group of friends just before Christmas as part of our "Tour of Derby restaurants" experience. Due to the time of year I was advised before the day that the menu would be their Christmas menu but this was certainly not the standard boring turkey, veg etc that so many churn out at this time of year.
Each course was a lovely and very imaginative creation that had a festive charm but was very high quality. The most creative dessert in my eyes was the Doughnut bites, maple glaze and crispy bacon with vanilla ice cream. The bacon made it sound rather Heston Blumenthal and it turned out to be wonderful!

The staff were very attentive and catered to our every need without being intrusive.

The menu was a set price per person but the selection could be two or three courses with the appropriate adjustment in price. Cost was very reasonable making budgeting easy.

It's a restaurant I could recommend to anyone and it's on our list of locations to visit more than once. Very few come into that category but we were told the menu changes every few weeks so we look forward to trying it in mid year.

1  Thank Paul C

Reviewed December 14, 2013

We went to Cucina for the first time yesterday with friends and we were very impressed. The restaurant itself is spacious and attractive. The menu is Italian, without being overly traditional, and is small - 3 starters, 3 additional pasta/risotto dishes that can be served as a starter or main, 3 mains and 3 puds. But to be honest, when the food is this good, you don't need more choice as everything was cooked to perfection.The pasta with braised steak in particular was incredibly tasty. I liked the fact that it was a fixed price for 2 or 3 courses, so everyone felt comfortable picking exactly what we wanted without worrying that we were being the greediest!

The wine is very reasonably priced starting at £11 per bottle and they served very good coffee too. The restaurant is family owned and the service is excellent. With 2 bottles of wine and tip it came to less that £30 a head which is a genuine bargain for food this good. I will certainly be going back.

Reviewed December 10, 2013

My Girlfriend suggested Cucina based on some online reviews and we thought we would give it a shot. Knowing very little about the place and based on my initial impressions, I was just expecting a nice simple Italian restaurant. However, we received service and food fair superior to anything we could of imagined!! Hosting was outstanding, and the food was out of this world!! and all very reasonably priced!! A must visit!!

1  Thank Mark K
Reviewed December 9, 2013

My second visit to Cucina since the reopening. Once again an excellent meal with, as usual, attention to detail. It is a good job that we booked as most tables were full. Green Lane is not in the central eating area of Derby so to find such a friendly restaurant in this area is very welcome.
yes, and confirm my view, thanks for remembering I do like sugar in a bowl and not in a packet!
Thanks again

Reviewed December 8, 2013 via mobile

Visited this place via a groupon voucher and so glad we did. Everything from the food and atmosphere to the service was impeccable. Truly a hidden gem.