“Always our first choice in Derby”

Birchover Darley Abbey
Ranked #19 of 29 Hotels in Derby
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Always our first choice in Derby”
Reviewed April 30, 2014

I first reviewed the Birchover Apartments back in September last year after two visits. I rated it highly then and said we’d use it again. Well, since then we’ve stayed a further four times and we have several more bookings to come throughout the year. These apartments are truly excellent and now when we stay there it always feels like we are coming home. The management is first class and always extremely responsive – you only have to look at the replies to the comments posted on this site to see the proof of that. But it is not only the quality of the apartments and Carl’s prompt replies to my emails that are impressive; there is always a warm, friendly greeting from all of the staff on site. Thanks again to the whole team.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank World_travellers08
Birchover, Owner at Birchover Darley Abbey, responded to this review, May 8, 2014
Dear World_travellers08

Obviously we know you by name now after all these visits, but we won't give away your identity! (And we're not allowed to here). Thank you so much for feeling that you can write a second review for us, now that you've stayed 6 times. It's always been an absolute pleasure when speaking/emailing with you and I know for sure that the team are always delighted to welcome you. The fact that you've felt comfortable recommending us to family is a great boost for me, as that demonstrates that you trust in us to deliver the same service to people who you really care about.

The attitude and warm, welcoming greeting from all staff is paramount for us and so I am delighted that you feel we consistently offer that.

We are really pleased that you've chosen us as your regular place to stay in Derby and it means a lot to us that you'd take the time and effort to review us yet again. Thank you very much for doing that and we'll see you again next month!

Carl, Lisa and the team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 19, 2014

What stunning apartments - large rooms, basically Narnia's wardrobe that leads into a sauna! We even popped down to reception and borrowed a couple of DVD's - Jack Whitehall was hilarious whilst we're rating things!

There was plenty of crockery - a fridge/ freezer/ dishwasher etc. and the air con was really useful as there was a lot of noise from A38 so you would not sleep with the windows open, apart from that ...GREAT :)

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Birchover, Owner at Birchover Darley Abbey, responded to this review, April 24, 2014
Dear Ells1090

It was great to see that you had a really positive stay with us. I'll happily take any review that starts with 'stunning' and ends with 'great'!

I know that the team all enjoyed meeting you and so the feeling is definitely mutual! Elaine and Lesley on Reception would have been the ladies assisting with the DVD selection and I'm in agreement with you on Jack Whitehall!

I know that you're from Derby itself, so hope that you'll be able to find a reason to revisit us, or perhaps come and pop in if friends or family are ever staying. It would be great to welcome you again.

Best wishes and thank you again for such a positive review,
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed April 18, 2014

I've never experienced such service before. On top of providing incredible comfortable and well-appointed accommodation, the Birchover Hotel Apartments also offered some complimentary basic groceries, full-sized appliances, and conveniences well beyond what I could find at traditional hotels at such a low price. The spacious floor plan was bigger than my own apartment, offering a second bedroom, second full bath, and a sauna large enough for three. Incredible apartment. The staff went above and beyond, by the way. On my second day staying with Birchover, my three-year-old daughter became ill and needed medical attention. I mentioned it to one of the managers, Elaine, in order to ask directions for a treatment facility. This could have all been somewhat stressful for a foreign traveler like me (American), but she made it effortless. Elaine stopped what she was doing immediately, invited my wife, daughter, and me into her own car, and she drove us to a nearby NHS walk-in center. I'm deeply impressed, and I'm grateful to everyone at Birchover who had a hand in making us feel comfortable and welcome. Thank you all so much!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Drewber
Dear Drew

I was delighted to read your review and to see that so many aspects of your stay were rated so highly. Obviously, we are always really pleased to receive reviews praising the comfort of the apartment or the service provided, but what really stands out for me here is the proactive nature of Elaine when your daughter fell ill during your stay. I know that when we discussed this in person afterwards, you and your wife were grateful for her quick and selfless automatic reaction to drive you to the Walk-In Centre.

It was great to see your daughter make a full recovery and I hope that you had a stress-free onward journey to London and then Bratislava.

It is this kind of natural caring attitude that we hope is present in all our staff when guests come to stay and we have thanked Elaine for her reaction.

We would love for you to return if you get the opportunity in what seems to be a very busy schedule! Perhaps you'll be able to see more of the local area and sample some more of the Dancing Duck 'Ay Up' beer you said you enjoyed! Hope to see you again.

Best wishes to you and your family from Carl, Lisa and the team
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 30, 2014 via mobile

Great stay on a Groupon voucher.
Excellent accommodation and sevice from reception,
Would recommend to anynone who needed a home from home base in Derby.
Rooms were clean and comfortable, and we felt completely at home.
Thanks again Birchover.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Birchover, Owner at Birchover Darley Abbey, responded to this review, April 5, 2014
We are very grateful for your extremely positive review of your recent stay with us. I am really pleased that you found the accommodation and service to be excellent and that you felt it was a 'home from home'. This is the overriding aim for us when guests come to stay.

Unfortunately we are unable to identify you - and therefore when you stayed - but I'll ensure that all staff see this feedback in the housekeeping and Meet & Greet teams.

East Yorkshire
Reviewed March 27, 2014

Rooms very spacious and clean. Was great to have kitchen facilities. We were part of a Groupon deal and were greeted with a bottle of chilled Prosecco, milk and orange juice. The receptionist was helpful and extremely attentive. We did move rooms, as our neighbours (above) were noisy, i could hear them walking up and down...bizarre. Im a very light sleeper and asked if we could be moved, they quickly arranged another room and it was perfect. I cannot thank the staff enough as that made my weekend much more relaxed. Room was supplied with hairdryer, ironing board, iron, cereal, tea, coffee, was extremely pleased with our choice to go here. Location ideal, not far away from a handful of pubs and restaurants, 10 minutes away from the city centre and about 45 minutes from Twycross Zoo which was excellent. Will definitely return. Thanks

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear KittenFluff

Thank you for your detailed review of your stay with us. I was delighted to hear that Chloe handled your request to move apartments so sensitively and rapidly. Your apartment had been cleaned by Karen and our brand new housekeeper Brenda - so well done team! It's always important to us that guests feel totally relaxed when staying with us.

You've kindly outlined a lot of the features of the apartment and our proximity to the city centre and Twycross Zoo - another attraction worth visiting; we had a lovely family day out there recently.

I'm delighted that you'd like to return and we look forward to welcoming you back to Birchover.

Surrey
Reviewed March 17, 2014

Birchover never ever fails to impress me. We had a fantastic weekend away with friends to celebrate our wedding anniversary. The rooms, as always, were super clean and to a very high spec. Tiny things had been thought of, from an ipod docking station to a cafetiere. Staff were friendly but not over-imposing and, even though there wasn't any reason to contact them during our stay, they gave you the absolute feeling that nothing would have been a problem for them.

The beds and bedding are extremely comfortable and the sauna (off the main en suite) just adds that little bit of luxury that makes these apartments stand out from the rest of accommodation that's on offer in Derby.

The outside areas (car park, gardens etc) are also clean and extremely well maintained. We all walked across the road and into Darley Abbey village. Its about a twenty minute walk and the park is really pretty. Theres a large tea rooms that seemed really popular but we bypassed that and headed for the pub in the village (The Abbey). Good beer and nice for a cheap lunch.

I have no hesitation in recommending these apartments - top notch hotel luxury with loads of space and every detail thought of.

Will we be going back - of course.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Birchover, Owner at Birchover Darley Abbey, responded to this review, March 21, 2014
Dear mrkbtlr

Thank you (once again) for your review of us here on Trip Advisor. We were very happy that you booked to return with several friends and it is always a pleasure having you come to stay with us. I hope that you had a fantastic wedding anniversary and it seems you had fun exploring the local area! As a real ale lover, I totally concur with you on the good beers in The Abbey pub - it's definitely our favourite local here.

You stayed on the same weekend as the lady in the review below, so once again I am immensely proud to give Chrissy recognition for another memorable welcome - well done Chrissy! Since joining the management team in September, every single one of the 25 reviews we've had on Trip Advisor since then have been 100%...that's some record! Well done.

Ann and Maria (also mentioned in the previous review) were the ladies responsible for your 'super clean' apartments.

We are really pleased that so many aspects of your weekend with us on this special occasion were positive. Our team are passionate about making sure that everyone has a relaxing time and even more so when it's for a special occasion.

I'm looking forward to hearing from you again and thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review (for a second time!).

Dudley, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 16, 2014

Visited these superb apartments for the first time using a travel-zoo voucher. Original offer was for one night but was emailed an offer for a second night which we took advantage of. Lovely friendly people to deal with including a courtesy phone call the day before our visit. Our apartment was on third floor easily accessed by lift or stairs. Everywhere was beautifully decorated and spotlessly clean. The apartment had everything that we could possibly need and so comfortable and spacious. The sauna was a great bonus. We had a wonderful stay with easy access to the Derbyshire Dales and Peak District. We will definitely return.

Room Tip: All rooms are to the same high standard.