“Great place to stay for a wedding”

Birchover Darley Abbey
Ranked #19 of 29 Hotels in Derby
Reviewed August 27, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here as part of a wedding party and was genuinely impressed by the quality of the accommodation.

Massive rooms, comfortable lounge and all the mod cons - ipod dock, sauna, digital TV etc.

Great value and would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank Christopher H
Birchover, Owner at Birchover Darley Abbey, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2013

Dear Christopher H

We were all very happy to see that you had a great stay with us last weekend. It's particularly pleasing for us, as the owners, because it was an exceptionally-busy weekend. Whilst we're normally full on a weekend, because you were part of a large wedding party, we had an even higher volume of arriving and departing guests than usual. To know that the whole experience was positive for you is very heartening for us.

Chloe was the lady who organised all of the bookings for you and your fellow wedding guests and Jean and Lisa were the housekeepers who cleaned your apartment. Credit should also go to Aneta on Reception who would have welcomed you.

Thank you so much for recommending us and I will ensure that the team are made aware of your kind comments. Please feel free to contact us directly again when you return.

Kindest regards,

There are newer reviews for Birchover Darley Abbey

Reviewed August 24, 2013

We were on holiday touring around England along with another couple and stayed at Birchover recently .The apartment was spacious with two big en- suite bed room one with a sauna ,sitting area ,dining area and a kitchen that was fitted out with every thing that was needed including dish washer and washing machine. The owner and staff were friendly .We were very impressed with the apartment and will definitely be back to stay again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank greatdeal123

Dear great deal123

I really enjoyed meeting you all last weekend and we are very privileged that you included Birchover in your itinerary of your tour of England.

I'm delighted that you thought the apartment was spacious and was kitted-out with everything you needed. I'll make sure that the housekeepers (Magine and Aneta, who cleaned your apartment) see your fantastic review.

Please feel free to contact us directly when you next return and we look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed August 19, 2013

Myself, my partner and a couple of friends of ours stayed at Birchover very recently.
We were attending a wedding at Morley Hayes and the accommodation there was really expensive. I found Birchover on Booking.com and as there were four of us the price was so reasonable, it worked out just over £40 per person per night.
Upon arrival we were greeted by a very lovely lady who understood our rush to get back to the wedding so showed us to our apartment promptly and left us to it.
I couldn't believe the space we got, a living room, dining/kitchen, two big bedrooms and both were en-suite.
I was so impressed.... it was just like been at home in terms of the space and that homely feeling.
The only slight downfall (which would not put me off) was the main road (A38???) which our bedroom faced onto. In the morning, we could here the traffic and once woke we couldn't get back to sleep. Its a busy road and the windows didn't seem to block out much of the sound. Having said that, we live on a very quiet road so if you are used to heavy traffic outside your house it probably wouldn't bother you as much.
If we are ever in need of accommodation again in the area we will certainly book Birchover again.
Fantastic value for money, friendly staff and bags of space - perfect!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Birchover, Owner at Birchover Darley Abbey, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2013

Dear Thumbsup186347

Thank you so much for such a terrific review. We've had a large number of wedding group bookings recently and so I apologise that I do not know you personally and cannot confidently refer to your specific stay, but we have put our heads together and think we've identified you!

It's really heartening to know that you received such good service (this is extremely likely to have been Chloe from your comment about rushing to the wedding). With a large team on site, we feel we're able to react to each guest's specific needs and identify if you want a detailed walk-through of the apartment and how things like the sauna work...or if you need to dash off quickly to a friend's wedding!

All of our two bedroom apartments will match your description in terms of the space and features, so thank you for identifying those for other potential guests.

If you do return to Derby in the future, we'd love to welcome you back, so please feel free to contact us directly - having been for a wedding, you will almost certainly have Chloe's details as she is our dedicated wedding guest co-ordinator.

Reviewed August 6, 2013

Working away from home has meant me staying two nights a week for a year. I had tried most of the hotels in the area before settling at Birchover. The appartments are to a high standard, all including saunas, and are very well maintained. I have worked away from home for years and Birchover is the cleanest I have ever experienced. The reception staff can not do enough for you, going well beyond expectation and the owners try very hard to ensure the end to end hotel experience is maintained to a very high standard, which shows I think, in the very happy staff. I have also stayed in the Darley Suite which is amazing for special occations. Birchover is an ideal hotel alternative for short one night visits or longer term for business or pleasure. I can not rate the hotel experience I have received enought, to the point that many of my collegues decided to stay either one offs or longer stays. Everyone who has tried Birchover always comes back. My work is now taking me elsewhere but I will be bringing my family back for a visit.

Room Tip: Higher floors are quieter, I prefer the rooms in the same block as the reception.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Birchover, Owner at Birchover Darley Abbey, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2013

Dear RUSHexit_stage

Thank you so much for your wonderful and detailed review. It has been a real pleasure having you and your colleagues stay with us for the past 12 months. The housekeeping and Meet and Greet teams will be overjoyed to see that you have been so consistently happy when staying at Birchover.

We hugely appreciate the fact that you felt comfortable in recommending us to your colleagues after you'd stayed with us a few times and we've enjoyed the great relationship we have had with all of you. It is sad that your work is taking you elsewhere but we'll be very happy to welcome you back sometime in the future. Best wishes and thank you once again - it means a lot to all of us that you've taken the time to write such a positive review after so many stays with us.

Best wishes for the future,

Reviewed July 9, 2013

My husband booked an apartment online as a surprise for our 1st anniversary, however he received a call to take his card details, he was assured all was alright yet 3 hours later he received another call to state his card was declined (bank states no transaction was requested) and the room had been given to someone else. I called Birchover to complain to the manager, I was told he had left for the day and would call me the next day, that was 2 weeks ago and I'm still waiting for a call. We were regular customers but to be treated like this we will not return again

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bramleybabe
Birchover, Owner at Birchover Darley Abbey, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2013

Dear bramleybabe

Thank you for your review. I am very sorry that you have been disappointed by this experience.

On the day that the booking was made, we did attempt to take payment on our card machine. Unfortunately the transaction was not authorised (we do have the paperwork, which we can send you a copy of). It is not unusual for a card to either be declined or not authorised - it happens probably once a day on average, so it was a routine call that I made to obtain alternative details.

When I telephoned to speak to the person who had made the booking, he was immediately aggressive and dismissive of the fact that the card had declined. I politely explained that the payment had not been authorised but he refused to believe me or provide alternative card details. Unfortunately, we reached an impasse, because we cannot send a formal confirmation email if a guest refuses to provide payment. The gentleman stated that he had stayed with us previously, but I could find no record of him staying. I did specifically ask if it had been booked under a different name and he was adamant that it hadn't.

The call ended when the gentleman stated that he did not want me to call him again and that he would not be staying at our hotel again. This was a mutually acceptable outcome.

Of course, I am aware that you have been a previous guest of ours but only realised that you and the gentleman were connected when you posted a negative comment on another public forum before I returned to the office to call you. The reasons I have not called since are because the gentleman told me not to and then you engaged in a public criticism of our hotel.

Unfortunately, because the gentleman was unhelpful in allowing us to identify previous bookings and was not prepared to provide alternative card details for payment, at that stage we were unable to process the booking. I am sorry if this impacted on your planned weekend away, but hope that you made an alternative booking as it was still two weeks' prior to the date of stay.

Kind regards
Carl

Reviewed July 9, 2013

We stayed in the Darley suite for our wedding anniversary, and my birthday. The whole stay and experience was wonderful. Carl and the team really looked after us, the suite had some lovely touches including a personal message and bottle of fizz in the apartment when we arrived. The standard of accommodation, fixtures, fittings and service is excellent. The sauna in the bathroom was a treat and fun experience too! We will definitely recommend to friends and family for their stays in Derby. Thank you!

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear cornishbex

Thank you so much for your kind review. It is always wonderful to get such nice feedback when our team have taken the time to make someone's stay really special. Once we discovered that it was both your anniversary and birthday, we wanted to make sure you had a wonderful stay.

The lady who welcomed you was Sami - sadly for us, this was her very last day working at Birchover, so it's great that she gets a final mention and I'll make sure Sami is made aware of this review. I'm very pleased that you had a great experience overall and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed June 18, 2013

We got married on 23rd May and decided to spend a few nights at Birchover Apartments. It was recommended by our wedding planner at the venue Shottle Hall and well let's just say we weren't disappointed!
From the moment we met with Chloe (the deputy manager) we knew we picked the right place. The staff were all very friendly & couldn't do enough to help. We had a few rooms as our friends & family stayed and all of them were very happy with their stay. We stayed for 2 nights after our wedding day and it was so worth it. Staying in the absolutely gorgeous Darley Suite, we had everything we needed and more - the room was beautiful and every little detail had been thought of! It really gave married life a lovely start for us!
Would like to thoroughly recommend the apartments as you will be looked after very well. Thank you again to Chloe & the team for making our stay so enjoyable!
We liked it so much we have already reserved it for our wedding anniversary next year!!!

• Stayed: May 2013
Birchover, Owner at Birchover Darley Abbey, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2013

Dear KBond79

Firstly, many congratulations on your wedding and we hope you had a lovely honeymoon. We are all over the moon that you had such a good start to married life in our Darley Suite.

Chloe is responsible for all wedding party bookings and works closely with the team at Shottle Hall to ensure that we play our (small) part in ensuring everything runs smoothly for brides, grooms and their guests. Your feedback for Chloe is typical of what we receive from all brides in private emails and cards, so I'm delighted you've given her this public recognition.

It was a real pleasure welcoming you, your family and friends to Birchover for your wedding and we're blessed to have been involved in this special day in your life.

Whilst you've been on honeymoon, we've booked out the Darley Suite for you for your first anniversary and are looking forward to seeing all the photos of the big day and your honeymoon!

Best wishes for your first year together and we'll see you next year!

Carl, Lisa, Chloe and the team