“Space is the real luxury”

Birchover Darley Abbey
Ranked #17 of 29 Hotels in Derby
Beaconsfield, United Kingdom
“Space is the real luxury”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2013

Stayed here on Saturday night, after a running event at Loughborough University and with a further race near Matlock on Sunday.

The apartment is just as described on the owner's website. Whilst the decor was not to my taste, it was very comfortable, and had everything you would need for a short stay, or for a longer one. And unlike a hotel room, there was masses of space to be able to relax in, a real luxury.

The one slight downside is traffic noise. The building is very close to the A38, and despite double-glazing, there is some traffic noise. Light sleepers might be troubled by it.

We never saw any of the staff. The reception was unmanned when we arrived, with a note to phone - we were then given instructions as to where to find the key and which apartment was ours. But this was fine by us; it was a simple painless experience, and we knew someone was available on the phone if we needed anything.

We ate at Darleys Restaurant, just a couple of minutes away by car. Good food, although service was a bit amateurish.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Birchover, Owner at Birchover Darley Abbey, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Dear Alliz33

Once I had got over the fact you completed two running races in two days (I am tired just contemplating it!), I wanted to say thank you very much for your detailed and informative review.

I'm really pleased that you felt the check-in process out of hours was simple and painless. With reception open until late, we don't often have reviews which cover this point and I'm very happy that you felt that accessing the key safe was easy. We do strive to provide a personal service where possible and work hard to ensure the few out-of-hours arrival guests are comfortable with the process. And, as you've said, we do have a team on call for any eventuality.

I'm sorry that you had a poor experience at Darley's Restaurant. We've had feedback from a few guests that the service is not very good and we have stopped recommending it as a place to visit. If you decide to return to stay with us, please ask us about the special exclusive deals we have with two superb restaurants - Zest and Mansion.

Best wishes for your running career and thank you once again for taking the time to place this review.

Kind regards,
Carl, Lisa and the team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Surrey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2013

I almost feel that I shouldn't be writing this review as part of me (selfishly) wants to keep this little gem to myself.

We stayed here, for one night, recently and every aspect of our stay was absolutely faultless. I originally booked a one bedroom apartment as I was on business in Derby the day after but, on seeing the apartments on the internet, my wife decided to join me with our children (my 8 year old was off school and we have a small baby also). I called Birchover and spoke to guy called Carl who was really helpful. He changed our booking and we paid the small amount extra. He then checked what baby stuff we needed (this makes a massive difference as sometimes the car can be packed full of travel cots, sterilisers, bath mats etc etc - all of these were supplied FOC by the team).

On arrival we were booked in by a member of staff. She was knowledgeable and really friendly. Nothing seemed too much trouble and she appeared to genuinely care that we had a nice stay - unheard of in the corporate Hotel chains where you are just a number). The reception area is really friendly and there are a few things (wine, chocolates etc) that you can buy if you feel like a treat. She showed us to our apartment and took us through everything that we would need to know.

The apartment was spacious and spotlessly clean. It was extremely well equipped - it even had a washing machine. The spec on everything was to high standards - you can tell that corners had not been cut. The bathrooms were also spotlessly clean and extremely modern. There were plenty of clean fresh towels and the bedding was really luxurious and thick - not a bit like the wafer thin duvets you get at some hotels. In the en-suite bathroom was a sauna. We couldn't believe it! It was clean and fresh too. Its easy to operate if you just follow the easy instructions on the card left in the apartment. This is definitely a nice little touch and we felt totally spoilt.

There are plenty of supermarkets nearby to grab some supplies but the welcome breakfast pack is also a really nice touch.

My only gripe is that we only stayed for 1 night. I can see myself "having" to visit Derby more regularly in future. In fact, personally, we are arranging a weekend stay at Birchover with some friends as we were so impressed with it.

No 1 in Derby - I can clearly see why. The attention to detail is first class and the levels of customer service go to show that this is obviously a family run business where they genuinely care for your comfort - not some corporate hotel machine where they just want your money.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank mrkbtlr
Dear mrkbtlr

When we receive a review like this, it really makes everything we do worthwhile. Whilst it is the case that we have a great template to work with, in terms of the spacious apartments and the sauna, it is the performance of the team in ensuring you and your family had a great stay which pleases me the most.

It was my wife (and business partner) Lisa's idea to provide so many baby items for guests, as we have two young boys and know how much space a cot, high chair, bottle warmer, etc can take up in the car! We have plenty in stock and are fastidious about ensuring that they are always spotlessly clean.

Rowan was the lady who roomed you and I'm pleased that you felt she was informative and cared about you having a good stay.

The housekeepers who cleaned your apartment to the 'spotlessly clean' standard were Sharon B and Ann (second review mention for Ann in recent weeks...well done!).

Your kindness in writing such a detailed review covering all these points is wonderful for prospective guests considering whether to stay with us and drives all of us on to continue providing great service and immaculate apartments.

I'm so pleased that you're looking to stay with us again both for work and pleasure and we look forward to welcoming you back.

london
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2013

Number one on Tripadvisor for Derby -I find that very hard to believe after my stay. They are in the middle of nowhere, the decor reminded me of OAP sheltered housing. There is no reception most of the time. So when heating failed after ten minutes I had to flaff around trying to find a number to call.
True he offered to come up with heaters in 20 mins. Next thing trying to find something to eat -tried just-eats as suggested by receptionist but after trying and failing to register I had to drive off to a takeaway. Not hotels fault but like I said it is in middle of nowhere.
Next morning housekeeping came marching in at 9.50am.When I said I wasn't ready they went -then a very rude woman came hammering in the door. Mistakenly I had read in the leaflets left in room that check out is 11am apparently that is just weekends. When I told her this she said putting her head in the door to look in lounge "Where exactly did you read that!"
Stood in my nightie I asked if I could have ten minutes -when I said could it be 15 she said "No we need the room now!," I don't think they were fully booked.
Then as I left I realised I had the room keys on me -now in the leaflets there is a list of slightly off putting extra charges eg lost keys cost I think £100 - 15 mins over check results in extra charge etc etc
No reception to give keys to panic stricken I had to ring every bell to find someone to let me back in to return keys. All in all a stressful stay. The room didn't look like the website it would prob be okay for a family visit for a long time. But not very good for business users

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank nell65
Birchover, Owner at Birchover Darley Abbey, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Dear nell65

Thank you very much for your review. I am sorry that you felt so disappointed after your stay with us.

Naturally, the first thing to say is that we never want anyone to have a bad stay with us and we did not intend to make you and your partner feel rushed in the morning. You have taken the time to provide a detailed review, which merits a response to each of your points.

1. You stated that we are in the middle of nowhere. Whilst we are in a leafy suburban area, less than 2 miles from Derby city centre, we are adjacent to the A6 and within 200 yards of the A38, so feel it is a very convenient location. Three fantastic pubs (one a converted abbey, one a welcoming local pub and one serving food until 10pm) and Derby's best restaurant 2010 & 2011 are all within a 10 minute walk, as is Darley Park and the Arboretum and spectacular weir over the River Derwent

2. Our reception is open until 9pm (8pm on Saturdays) and when you called me at 9.05pm that night. We responded quickly, as you commented in your review. Guests staying in that apartment on the evening you vacated found no issue, and indeed we checked the system thoroughly following your departure, however I understand that you felt the cold and so that is why we offered you some additional heaters. You did state however that you were not too worried as you were going to bed anyway.

3. If I had known that you were planning on eating prior to bedtime, I would have gladly phoned through an order for a takeaway. This is something we do regularly and so I'll speak with our Meet and Greet team to reinforce that we should have offered that service on this occasion

4. You state that there was an issue at check out time and that you felt hassled by our staff. We attended at 10am to check that you were vacating, to enable our housekeepers to clean the apartment for the arriving guests that day, who had booked an early check in with us. At that point you were still in a state of undress, therefore we felt it necessary to gently remind you of our check out policy. Of course we’re sorry if you took offence to this, but we believe we acted appropriately at all times.

5. That said, we have just increased our check in and check out times (2pm check in Monday-Friday, 1pm check in Saturday and Sunday and 11am check out on Saturdays and Sundays) and will work very hard to ensure guests can benefit from these longer stays with us - especially at weekends

6. I’m sorry you could not find where to leave your key or that you could not find a member of our team to speak to. I’m not aware of you trying to call on the same number you used the previous night to ask, but I understand and appreciate that you were inconvenienced and delayed.

Rugby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

Returned yesterday from a 4 night stay! We have stayed in the same apartment twice now. It is a fantastic place and ideal for my two little ones. We arrived and we needed a cot and pull out bed and two high chairs. The staff were amazing had it all in apartment within mins.

All the staff are extremely friendly and helpfull. We visited a few places including Alton towers water park.

We will return again.
Thanks . Christine

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank 898ChristineH
Birchover, Owner at Birchover Darley Abbey, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Dear Christine

We were so pleased to read your kind review and I am so happy that you and your family had a great time again. It's been an absolute pleasure having you come to stay at Birchover and I hope that the children loved Alton Towers Water Park.

On the day, I'm proud to say that it was Sharon S and Annette who brought all the baby items to the apartment in double-quick time! Elaine - our Guest Services Manager - was the lady co-ordinating all the speedy work and it means a lot to them that you have mentioned their assistance.

That's now 23 of the last 24 reviews where we've received 5 out of 5 and whilst I get the lovely job of replying to the reviews, it truly is our team who create such great memories for our guests. For you to praise them as 'amazing' is something which I know has made them feel very proud.

We are all looking forward to you returning and I hope that we can continue to provide such stellar service for you all.

Best wishes to you and your famly,
Guisborough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

Stayed 2 nights from Friday 22nd to 24th March after almost cancelling because of the snow forecast. We are so glad that we decided to brave the 2 hour drive as we were rewarded with a lovely apartment that we immediately felt at home in with all our needs catered for. We awoke on Saturday morning to inches of snow and were a little concerned about getting out of the car park which has a slight incline towards the main road. We need not have worried as a team arrived with snow shovels and dug out the entrance and car park with lightening speed. We didn't manage to visit the National Trust properties that we had planned but instead spent the day in the Westfield Centre and returned to the apartment for a sauna and a bottle of wine. We thoroughly enjoyed our weekend and will stay at Birchover again to explore the area in better weather.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Birchover, Owner at Birchover Darley Abbey, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Dear Unwinders

We were thrilled to receive such a fantastic review, following your stay with us last weekend. It must have been a real shame to have travelled all this way and then not be able to visit the National Trust properties that you'd hoped to see. The snow was particularly bad in and around Derby and I'm glad that you're hoping to return when there is more clement weather!

When the snow arrived last weekend, we were concerned that guests and staff would find it difficult to get to Birchover. I have already commented on our company's Facebook page (and privately to staff) that I was so proud of the housekeeping team for all getting to work every day through the weekend, to ensure we had clean apartments for arriving guests. But even more astounding for me was that the army of volunteers that you've mentioned who turned up to clear the car park were unpaid members of Lisa's family! Thank you so much to Martin, Sheila, Rhys and Nick for their terrific work in ensuring that all our guests were able to come and go from the car park, given there was such heavy snowfall. It is a great feeling in our small family business that the staff and family members all 'mucked in' - and reviews like this are testimony to the positive impact it has on how guests appreciate this. So, thank you all.

Returning to your particular stay and the review, we're extremely happy that you liked the apartment itself and the facilities provided. I'm very sorry that you were unable to visit the National Trust properties, but we're delighted that you're planning to return in the future.

Thank you once again for such a fantastic review - I'm really pleased that you felt the drive in such treacherous conditions was worth it and we really look forward to welcoming you back to Birchover.

Kind regards and best wishes,
uk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2013

My sister and I stayed here for 3 nights, in a 2 bedroom penthouse suite. Its a great location for visiting Derby town to do a little sightseeing/shopping, and also visiting some of the many Derbyshire villages nearby. But best of all the facilities in the apartment were fabulous, the sauna was a real treat combined with a relaxing face mask we had our own mini spa!
The kitchen was well equipped, I even had a chance to indulge in some baking.

The rooms were spotless and the beds very comfortable indeed. I found all the staff polite and helpful, the free dvd library was a real bonus too.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Birchover, Owner at Birchover Darley Abbey, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Dear daisyandangel

I was so pleased to read your review and that so many aspects of your stay were good. It sounds like you and your sister put the apartments to great use! I think that's a first that someone has done some baking in the apartment (certainly the first time I've known) and I'm just sorry I didn't pop by for some cakes!!

We're really pleased that you've highlighted how the location is good both for visiting Derby city centre and also the lovely villages (and market towns) directly north on the A6 as you head up into the Peak District.

Lisa W and our brand new housekeeper Eva were the ladies who cleaned your apartment to the 'spotless' standard (we always like to mention them when they've given great service) and Chloe was the lady who welcomed you on arrival. All of the staff members I've met who came into contact with you have mentioned how lovely you were and I'm so pleased that it was felt the other way too. I do hope you can return sometime so that I can meet you personally and thank you once again for such a kind review.

Guernsey, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2013 via mobile

This was the second time I've used these apartments and yet again they didn't disappoint.
Our apartment was one of the superior 1 bedroom which basically means top floor and therefore a bit more private - whereas ground floor and first floor are sitting rooms are all pretty easy to see into from the car park.
As usual the place was very clean and warm. The sauna in the bathroom was an excellent antidote to a bitterly cold day!
I really like having all the usual equipment you use at home - like toaster, microwave, cafetiere, dishwasher, washing machine - which all make a stay here very easy.
The location is good for access to the A38 and therefore M1 north or north Derbyshire. However, the position next to this road means a little noise at the bedroom side of the flat although the double glazing does a good job. Not surer what it would be like in summer if you wanted to open the bedroom window!
I'd definitely go back there as by parents live nearby and it's an ideal home away from home with everything you need for weekend or a longer stay.

• Stayed January 2013
Birchover, Owner at Birchover Darley Abbey, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Dear Ian_On_The_Rock

It is always great when a regular/repeat guest provides a positive review for us, as our team then have evidence that we are consistently 'getting it right'. It also means a lot to us that you are an experienced reviewer and that we are only the second hotel which you feel deserves 5 out of 5.

The "home away from home" comment is our most frequent piece of feedback and, given that you seem likely to return to visit parents, I'm pleased we can offer that comfort. The apartments were originally designed for long-term guests and so now that we accept bookings for all durations from 1 night upwards, everyone gets that benefit!

We appreciate the concerns that you might have regarding traffic noise in the summer and my response to the review further below (18 February) outlines some of the tactics we have to keep apartments cool in the summer. I hope that if you ever stay in summer months, we can demonstrate how that works (assuming we get a long-enough spell of hot weather in the first place!).

We look forward to welcoming you back and please let us know when you're next in Derby to visit your parents, as we'd like to say thank you personally.