“Fabtastic :))”

Slice of India
Ranked #28 of 582 Restaurants in Derby
Cuisines: Indian, Asian, Balti
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Buffet, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Delicious food... That's what we're all about here at Slice of India. We've brought together a fantastic team of chefs who know how Indian food should be cooked. Every dish that is put before you has been carefully selected, tasted and adapted using the finest ingredients. Unlike many buffet restaurants up and down the country we believe quantity should not replace quality and we strive to ensure that every dish we serve can stand alone as a culinary delight in its own right. The beauty of our buffet set up is that while we offer a fine selection of your tried and tested favourites we also offer traditional Indian dishes you haven't tried before. If you don't like it (you will) then try something else. Why play it safe with a Chicken Tikka Masala when your new favourite dish is just waiting to be discovered? We look to couple great food with great service. All our staff our eager to help so if you need anything or would like to know more information about the food or drink on offer just ask and they'll be only too pleased to help. Please take a look around our website where you can meet some of the team, see a selection of the many dishes on offer and get a feel for the Slice of India experience. We hope to see you soon!
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fabtastic :))”
Reviewed June 19, 2013 via mobile

I can't believe this place has been open a few years and I've never been ??!! Absolutely loved it !! As a vegetarian I found plenty of choice ! The Paneer curry is gorgeous!! Everything was freshly prepared and tasted wonderful ! Nothing was bland at all and also was nice and hot not a lukewarm curry in sight ?? Me and my husband were extremely impressed ! We have dined at Jimmy's World Bar and Grill which was an awful experience ! We were going to go to Cosmo but was fully booked due to Father's Day and I'm sooooo glad it was !! May Sum is also looking tired and so is the food, the windows are filthy which says alot *Shudders* !! The Slice of India is a total gem and is now our firm favourite ! Shame I'm dieting for my holidays or I would be back next week !! My husband enjoyed the butter chicken, Madras, stir fry and Sunday Dinner selection, whilst I tried all 3 vegetarian curries ( Mushroom, brown lentil and paneer ) and they were lovely :) Im so happy to have found a place that doesn't use frozen vegetables in their curry.... At long last ! Hoooorrraaayyy !! The naan breads were cooked freshly in the Tandoor in front if you as was almost everything else ! Loved the Indian sweets and of course the selection of cakes, ice cream and sweeties ! Wish the Chocolate fountain would have been in though :( The atmosphere is lovely with no waitresses hanging around watching you, unlike Jimmy's were they didn't leave you alone ! I felt comfortable and relaxed as the Chef's were concentrating upon their cooking soooo much you didn't feel like a piglet keep going up as they were farrrrr to busy to notice :))) I'd wholeheartedly recommend The Slice of India if you enjoy freshly cooked food and we will be returning without a doubt ! :))))

1 Thank Michymoo2

Derby, United Kingdom
“Keep saying excellent but it is.”
Reviewed June 18, 2013

I can't count the many times we have been to The slice of India but were never disappointed.
Staff are very friendly and helpful, you will be shown around the buffet style kitchen and if your diet like my husband needs low salt the chef will explain to you what you can eat or what to ask for if your having stir fry ask the chef to not put in to much soya sauce, they are all helpful and want you to enjoy yourselves and the food.
We have just had a party there 30 people came and not one went home unhappy just the opposite they all loved it, and kept saying so throughout the evening.
We wouldn't have taken our guests there if we had any doubts.
Where can you get so many courses and as much as you like for that sort of money.
Plus the food is cooked ongoing so it does sit around for long periods.
And the "kitchen" and eating area are spotless ( unless the people sitting there are making the mess ) I have seen this but its quickly cleaned up after they go.
If you love good food then give it a try you won't be disappointed,
There really is such a huge amount to choose from--- and puddings, ice cream machine with many naughty sweets to decorate it with, fresh fruit, jellies, cakes and other Indian sweets and more.
Need I say more if your not happy at this place then you don't like good food.
Well done to all at The slice of India you do the works. Sandy and Brian.

Belper, England, United Kingdom
“£14.50 too much for average food”
Reviewed June 16, 2013

I love Indian food but Slice of India disappointed me. The starters were very spicy and not to everyone's taste whereas the mains were bland and tasteless. Desserts were also very poor. I didn't enjoy it at all. At £14.50 I excepted a lot more.

1 Thank ChristinaAVP
Derbyshire
“Excellent value for money”
Reviewed June 11, 2013

If you are looking for a good india restaurant then Slice of India is a fantastic venue. At first I was put off with it being a buffet as you dont usually get the quality you get in a traditional restaurant, but I couldn't have been more wrong. the choice and quality of food was excellent, The serivice fromthe bar staff was excellent and the turn around of the food at the buffet was often, so freshly cooked food was always avaialble. It was also really good to see traditional India sweets avaialble in place of plastic containers of so called ice cream.

• Visited March 2013
Derby UK
“"Spoiled for choice"”
Reviewed June 9, 2013

I have been to this restaurant many times and each time I have enjoyed my meal,choice plentiful,over the time myself and my family members have had the pleasure of birthday party meals and recently a very early wedding tea party on the way to Manchester when my nephew got married, once again it was pleasure to visit this restaurant and staff on duty were brilliant and very welcoming and make you feel special and not forgetting the food was good,keep up the good work will keep coming back.