“Great Service - they make you feel like royalty”
Review of Viceroy Derby

Viceroy Derby
Ranked #7 of 608 Restaurants in Derby
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Located on the Midland Road in Derby, a street filled with restaurants and caf��s, The Viceroy Restaurant stands out as one of the most stylish dining destinations in the neighbourhood. Smart and upmarket, the dining room at The Viceroy is filled with modern furniture, plush carpets and colourful lighting, and the sophisticated atmosphere is suitable for dinner with family, clients or friends. The menu is extensive, but The Viceroy Restaurant���s specialty is Desi cooking ��� a traditional home-style of Indian cooking full of flavour and cooked over slow fires. Only a two minute walk from the Derby train station, this restaurant also has affordable prices as well as a fantastic selection of wine.
Reviewed June 24, 2013

We wandered into the restaurant after surveying the area on an evening staying in Derby. It was on the same road as our hotel, so we decided to have a walk around and look at restaurants in the area and pick which we liked the look of.

We thought the Viceroy looked good and came back to it.

I had a headache and the restaurant was noisy and very busy. We mentioned this to the maitre d and he said he could find a quieter table. He picked a perfect spot for us - and came after a few minutes to check whether the table was to our like or whether we wanted to be moved.

We were served drinks immediately. I'm vegetarian, so I asked our waiter for his advice on the best vegetarian choices. He was really happy to go through them with me and his recommendation was great.

Although busy, you would not know it because the staff make you feel like royalty. It's the best service I've ever received in a restaurant.

The staff checked on us a number of times to ask how we were, whether there was anything we needed. My husband had a large bottle of beer on the table and we had a bottle of water between us and the bar waitress came around at regular intervals and ensured our glasses were topped up. Initially my husband thought it may be to encourage us to drink more, but I pointed out the number of tables with jugs of tap water on them - and she was doing the same for them. She was just providing an excellent service.

At the end of the meal, we had coffee which came with biscuits.

The bar waitress then came along and asked if she could get us a drink, and told us it was on the house.

The only thing I'd say beware of is that, although the food is lovely, the portions are rather large. We ordered too much so couldn't eat it all - and certainly couldn't touch the lovely looking biscuits with the coffee.

When we left, the staff were really courteous, the manager shook our hand and doors were held open for us. It was a lovely experience - I can't wait to go back (but I'll order less food next time).

Reviewed June 24, 2013

There are a few good Indian restaurants in Derby and The Viceroy can be included amongst them. From the warm welcome we received to the attentive service and excellent food my colleagues and myself would thoroughly recommend this restaurant. There were six of us in the party and we all enjoyed the evening.

Reviewed June 23, 2013

Great choice on menu, food fantastic and plenty of it. Relaxed and friendly atmosphere, accommodated all our parties needs. Great value for money. we took our own birthday cake and they gave us a complimentary round of drinks. Very good would definitely return even with a large party nothing was too much trouble.

Reviewed June 22, 2013

Just visitited this restaurant, excellent welcome, service second to none and the food was fabulous, a tad exspensive but well worth it, if in Derby again would definetley return for another meal

Reviewed June 21, 2013

I have just had a meal in here as part of a group of 13 of us.

The service was first class and very attentive and the atmosphere was good.

The menu has an excellent selection and the portions were massive. Food was well cooked, presented nicely and tasted delicious.

Overall, highly recommended!