“Good Carvery”

Ranked #36 of 612 Restaurants in Derby
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Me and my partner went to the Coopers on a Sunday afternoon to take a break from the Scarecrow Trail in the village. There were three or four choice of meats as well as an allacarte Menu. I opted for the roast beef which was tender and tasty. The roast potatos were fantastic and the Yorkshires were large AND home made. Two roast beef carverys came to about £20, we paid £26 for the two of us which included drinks. It's obviously not cheap but the quality was high and i think the price was about right. if i am being uber critical I would just mention two points. The guy serving the carvery partakes in an odd ritual of only filling a gravy boat up when people are being served, said gravy boat is no bigger than what you'd have on a table for two people. . . . .so when you run out of gravy there is non there for you to get. . . . you have to wait for other people to get served and for the small gravy boat to be topped up. Maybe this system is implimented to prevent gravy getting a skin from being sat under a heat lamp for hours but I think there must be a better method of gravy management than this. Also the set up is a little "dis joined". we hadnt been to the pub before and were not sure of the system of ordering food, paying, or gettng drinks; some places serve drinks at your table for example, some places require you pay first then get your carvery, non of this was made clear to us. Remember, you dont just review a restaurant on food, you also review them on the experience. I think in the case of the Coopers, that somebody being front of house giving it the whole "hello, have you been here before?" speech would be good. But these were minor points. The food was very good, the suroundings are lovely, very polite staff too. If you are in the area give it a go!!

1  Thank Luckyjez

Reviewed June 4, 2013

We enjoyed the Sunday carvery on our way home from holiday last week end. The food was good, though when we arrived the a la carte wasn't available, only the carvery - but what we had was excellent. The staff were friendly and efficient and we enjoyed the overall experience. We would definitely return if we are in the area as the setting is wonderful.

Reviewed June 3, 2013 via mobile

Attentive staff, me and my hubby went we both had same thing starters were baked camambert and mains were steak ale and mushroom pie it was all very tasty we were too full for dessert! Cavery looked good lovely place to go and eat would go again.

Reviewed May 30, 2013

The Cooper's Arms is worth a visit purely for its history - I believe the building dates back to medieval times and you almost feel that you're travelling back in time when you go here. I've visited the Cooper's Arms several times for Sunday lunch - the carvery is delicious.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

We went for my wife's birthday with friends and had a lovely night. The meal was excellent and the staff extremely friendly. Known for its carvery, but the a la carte choice is also very good.
Highly recommended