“Only OK”

Ranked #23 of 29 Hotels in Derby
Sheffield, UK
“Only OK”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2012

Stayed overnight at end of December 2012. Made welcome. Room 16. Small but tidy and warm. Nice bathroom. VERY VERY VERY noisy. SOME of this may have been down to the fact that there were some Christmas parties taking place. But why would these revellers be allowed through the corridors at night time? This old police station has parquet flooring along every corridor which looks great. However, most of it on our visit was loose and every footstep the floor rattled and with no curtains or carpet, noise is amplified. Bit of a death trap too. The odd sign here and there warning visitors of the state of the flooring doesn't forgive the fact that it shouldn't be like that at all. They might have paid £5 million to develop the hotel back in 2008 but it looks like very little has been spent on it since then. Systems need sorting too, took me ages to persuade the guy at checkout that I had had burger and chips on room service the night before. Could easily have got away with it but I am one of the honest ones!

Room Tip: Choose a room away from loose parquet flooring on the corridor
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank drbell

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Stockton on Tees
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2012

We stayed here 1st December for one night when attending a friends evening reception. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The decor in the bedroom was lovely,the bed was very comfortable. The breakfast was vey nice good choice of food. We would definately stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank JaboStocktononTees
Killinchy, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2012

A fine boutique hotel with a lot of charm. My room was very clean and well equipped but it was a double. The singles can be quite snug. Restaurant was really very good. Dinner was outstanding and it is a delight these days to get a freshly cooked breakfast. Will definitely stay here the next time I am in Derby.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank KenCountyDown
Derby, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2012

I booked a room for the night of the 13th October 2012, a King Room for Romance. The occasion was me proposing to my girlfriend and surprising her with a stay overnight.

From the outset there were issues. I checked in at 19:30 on the evening and the room hadn't been dressed with the romance package. There was some quick rushing around and we got the nibbles, champagne and flowers. Didn't get the rose petals on the bed or the candlelit bath which was also part of my reservation.

I let this all slide and thought its happened now and there was nothing I could do. Then the issues with the room started to creep in. Paint peeling off the roof in the bathroom that fell into the bath, the curtains which didn't close properly, and no phone in the room. They are suppose to be a 4 star hotel but I can honestly say I have stayed in a Premier Inn for £39 which was better all round and got what I was promised. I said something to the night manager who then said he would mention it to the head receptionist and I would be compensated but I wasn't!

I then went to check out this morning and got given a bill for £195, bearing in mind my Romance room was only suppose to be £180, stating that we had signed for 2 cocktails in the bar! It was the final straw!

I was then offered another stay with them a few weeks later to try and make up for the first night that went wrong. I was offered dinner bed and breakfast and all was confirmed with the manager. Dinner being at the Chef's table. We checked in asked what time we had to be ready for dinner only to be told that we didn't have anything booked in. I immediately got our stuff and left and contacted James Blick the CEO of the Finesse Collection for an answer. I have been waiting for a week and a half now for a response after he said he would contact me.

All I can say is that they ruined a night that is only suppose to happen once in a lifetime and I wont be able to get it back.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
9 Thank Damien G

Travelers are raving about these Derby hotels

Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2012

We have just returned from a 1 night stay at this hotel. We went there for our friends wedding and have a really nice time.
The hotel is small and friendly and staff are fantastic.
The rooms are very clean and nicely decorated and the breakfast was great, with plenty of choice.
Hotel is also in a great location from all the shops and local amenities.
Would definetly recommend this hotel and would certainly stay there again in the future.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank holidayholic1
Nathan W, Manager at Cathedral Quarter Hotel, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for your kind words about our hotel. It is always nice to hear such glowing feedback and deliver it back to the teams.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.
Sutton in Ashfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2012

Stayed here on a Hen weekend with friends and could not recommend it highly enough. Excellent value for what we got! And I can absolutely loved the cocktail class! Really added a special something to the party!!!

As someone who has special dietary requirements the special effort made by the hotel to cater for me was wonderful.

The spa area is small but great for a group of friends and the back massage was fantastic!

Will definitely be visiting again!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank gemgem1496
Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent review. It is always nice to hear when we have left someone with a dietary requirement well looked after.

We always try to have options available and our events and kitchen team strive to deliver where feasible.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Regards

Nathan
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2012

I stayed at the Cathedral Quarter on a business trip having endured a horrendous train journey due to the weather problems. On arrival in the late evening, the receptionist was extremely warm and helpful and assisted me with my various enquiries, caused by the fact that I was some two hours later than expected. The following day another member of the reception team was equally helpful in every regard; directions, luggage, check out, taxis, internet assistance to determine my train times home etc etc. The room was very comfortable, breakfast was very good. All in all I would definitely recommend this hotel if visiting Derby and I would certainly stay there again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business