“Large, long hair found in starter”
Review of Mexico - CLOSED

Mexico
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
“Large, long hair found in starter”
Reviewed February 26, 2014

I'd been twice before and found the place a bit quirky - slow to be served and then served by different people, drinks slow coming... Thought we'd give it a go again. Completely put of my meal as I cut in to my starter and as I raised it to my mouth say a long hair trailing back down in to the dish and around the sides of it under the food.

I took it back and the girl on the counter heaved as she saw it. They offered me another and i declined - though they did bring another out anyway. By this time I was not at all hungry. The team took the cost of the starter off the meal but with food hygiene standards in place how does a two-foot long hair get under the starter?!

• Visited February 2014

loughton
“Not impressed!”
Reviewed February 11, 2014

Went here on a Friday night and the restaurant was quiet so we were able to be seated straight away even though we hadn't made a reservation. I always think it's never a good sign if a restaurant is quiet at the weekend.

Before I had even sat down and was still removing my coat I was asked by the waitress quite abruptly what I wanted to drink. Once we had ordered the food the starters came out within 5 minutes and looked suspiciously as though they had been microwaved. They were tasty enough but were a bit of a slop in a bowl. Not hugely inspiring.
The mains were very disappointing as they didn't taste better than basic mexican food I cook at home (old el paso kits). It's always irritating to have to pay for food which you could have made better yourself. Again the food arrived too quickly and had been microwaved. The enchiladas were swimming in cheese and there was also rice and mashed potato on the plate. Far too many carbs for an already heavy meal. It wasn't horrible and was certainly edible but as mentioned above it just didn't taste any better than something I could have made at home myself for a fraction of the price.
The bill came to over £40 for 2 starters, 2 mains and 2 beers and we were in and out of the restaurant in 50 minutes due to how rushed the service was. Oh and the waiters and waitresses all stood around in a little huddle looking bored beside our table which was very off putting as we felt like they were listening in on our conversations.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank snugglepug7888
Derby, United Kingdom
“Pre-theatre meal - a great performance.”
Reviewed February 9, 2014

Surprise tickets to the panto so decided to take advantage of Mexico's pre-theatre deal. Excellent food, great service from Yasmin and great value. Superb nachos, followed by delicious fajitas and brioche (not Mexican but lovely); Merlot was gorgeous and the bill tiny. Thank you - we'll be back.

• Visited February 2014
Derby, United Kingdom
“poor service and selection”
Reviewed February 3, 2014 via mobile

Limited menu with no hard shell tacos, and no tequila selection! Very disappointing and will not be back.if it wasn't for the nachos it would be 1 star.....

Visited January 2014
1 Thank FergieCol
“Amazing!”
Reviewed January 12, 2014

I absolutely love this restaurant, I have been back time and time again and they never disappoint. Its a nice little cosy restaurant at the end of Saddlergate with amazing staff and an even better menu. Can never get enough!

• Visited January 2014