“Quirky with a good brew”
Review of Cafe On The Cut

Cafe On The Cut
Ranked #27 of 414 Restaurants in Gloucester
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed February 12, 2019 via mobile

Lovely cuppa, nice cake, good chat, honest, down to earth and human! Brilliant place. Different to a boring cafe. Loved it

Date of visit: January 2019

Reviewed December 6, 2018 via mobile

Totally unique experience. The interior is warm, friendly and spotlessly clean. The coffee is always good and the carrot cake and brownies are lovely. It's a place I always feel at home in and Vanessa always makes me laugh. In short, I love it.

Date of visit: December 2018
Reviewed December 2, 2018

This review is being written honestly and genuinely, after a very poor experience.

The boat itself is very novel, with interesting decor and a comfortable atmosphere. No problems there.

The service left a lot to be desired, though: this is coming from someone who has travelled extensively, and never felt compelled to leave a completely negative online review.

On entering, the boat/cafe owner greeted my partner and I by basically instructing me to close the door. 'What do you do when you enter a boat?', she asked loudly whilst glancing towards the entrance, as opposed to breaking her ongoing conversation (seated) with other customers and closing it herself. The word 'please' was not even used, and the lady delivered it in a condescending 'addressing-a-small-child' tone in front of everyone. There was either no sign to suggest that this should be done, or one that wasn't prominently displayed.

In the British tradition of politely bearing, we ordered coffee and peppermint tea. The coffee was served with a milk pourer which was not cleaned properly along the lip portion; this was accompanied by a chocolate brownie which had a hair in it. It tasted like a refrigerated brownie which can be purchased in Tesco or other supermarkets; if it was home made, it was one of the worst I have ever had, worthy of inclusion in any building foundation for its impossibly dense texture.

In addition, the tables were a bit grubby and not wiped down properly, which was only visible once we had taken our seats.

On quietly making our way out (and this, frankly, was the final straw which prompted me to take time out of a busy day to write this review), the owner asked in front of other customers and my partner, 'And what are you going to do on the way out?' In other words, 'Close the door after you'. I obviously needed reminding; a grown man and paying customer, too incompetent to remember to close the door after being instructed the first time. I have never experienced this is all my years of travel.

For £6.50, I got: two reminders to close a door in front of other customers and my partner, a sub-par brownie with a hair in it, an unclean milk pourer and poorly-wiped tables.

Date of visit: December 2018
Reviewed November 11, 2018 via mobile

Our first visit to the narrow boat and it certainly won’t be the last. The most delicious cakes were on offer this morning, the chocolate brownie was beautiful. Plenty of options on the menu both sweet and savoury (locally sourced too I believe...) with a wide range of drinks. The cafe is very well priced too.
Child friendly, which is always a bonus!
The two lovely ladies who were there this morning were very helpful and answered any questions we had. Will definitely return soon, thank you!

Date of visit: November 2018
Reviewed October 27, 2018 via mobile

Myself and my friend visited the Cafe On The Cut today for lunch. Right from the onset we were made to feel very welcome and it was such a lovely cosy atmosphere. Our lunch was wholesome and very tasty and the carrot cake was amazing too. Vanessa the owner took time to talk to us and lots of laughs were had. I highly recommend a visit.

Date of visit: October 2018