“Beware the cancellation charge policy”
Review of Albert Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Gloucester
Albert Hotel
Ranked #16 of 21 Hotels in Gloucester
Reviewed August 23, 2008

BE WARNED if you are tempted to reserve a room at this hotel. We had to cancel our booking due to illness more than a week before we were due to stay. The proprieter then decided that there was a 15 DAY CANCELLATION CHARGE of the full price of the room even though these terms are not on his website and were not communicated to us when we made the booking. We were never sent a confirmation so there was nothing in writing either. When my partner disputed this with the proprieter he became aggressive and abusive. I have stayed in hotels all over the world and NEVER encountered a 15 day cancellation charge.
I was upset and completely shaken by my experience of this proprieter - a very unpleasant individual and not at all friendly as procalimed on their website.

Stayed: August 2008
5  Thank KittyBrighton

Reviewed August 3, 2008

Fine and functional. Stayed here on a one night stay in August 2008. It's essentially a British B&B experience - didn't even realise it was a hotel till we ventured downstairs to find a bar near the breakfast room.

Nearly gassed by the plug-in air fresheners at reception - they've got to be the worst welcome to an accommodation site - just what scents are they trying to hide?

Was lucky enough to secure room 14 which means a convoluted climb to the obviously recently refurbished attic. This room certainly wouldn't be accessible by young children, the elderly or disabled as the stairs here were nearly vertical.

Car park behind hotel is pretty tight, but probably a mercy. The road up to Kingsholm Rugby Ground is fairly rough. Didn't sleep well at night (was a Saturday admittedly) listening to a street fight at 1am.

Breakfast of Full English was nicely done, not too much, not too little.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
3  Thank Cangarwbach
Reviewed February 26, 2008

Stayed one night. Our group used two rooms. The bathroom in the smaller was quite small and not particularly up-to-date. Staff was very helpful but there are few places nearby to eat at night. It is very close to the city centre and walking to the Cathedral and the docks was very pleasant.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed September 8, 2007

Brighton, England.
An adequate small hotel for my short visit. Large comfortable bedroom (but with lots of loose timber pieces in and on the clothes wardrobe and under bed, plus a dusty ancient TV set in second wardrobe). Good shower facility. TV set in use too high on wall unless sitting in bed opposite. Good breakfast. Sole member of staff helpful, if asked, but no other conversation. Saw no-one else in charge. Pity the room-folder information did not start with words of welcome instead of warning that use of credit card or cheque would incur £3 surcharge and that said card would also be used to pay for any damage to hotel, or the 'fines' for annoying other guests. Rather forbidding, I thought!
The hotel occupies a good position for sightseeing but lacks atmosphere inside.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled on business
3  Thank BrightonAustin
Reviewed June 1, 2007

Lovely place to stay just outside the town centre. We ate in a fantastic value Chinese restaurant a few yards away from the hotel.
Thers are lots of stairs at the hotel which weren't a problem to us but could be to others. There were 6 of us on a biking trip and our bikes were stored no problem and the owner organised a taxi for our bags. We all slept well and had a good breakfast.

• Stayed: June 2007
1  Thank littlegems
Reviewed March 20, 2007

I have been staying at this hotel for the past 6 years. I have business that brings me to Gloucester 4 times a year for a week at a time. I would not consider staying anywhere else in Gloucester. The Hotel is clean, centrally located in Gloucester, serves a full cooked to order breakfast (not a continental breakfast as was reported elsewhere) every morning, has an onsite cozy little bar with a nice pub feel to it and is run by some of the best people I have ever met.

I have just returned from a stay at the Albert and I was fortunate enough to be the first person to stay in one their newly refinished rooms and it was delightful. I understand the Hotel is currently undertaking an expansion project and each room will be refinished as part of that project. Doing so will only make a great hotel better! This expansion did not interrupt my stay whatsoever. I look forward to seeing my friends at the Albert again in 3 months time!

Stayed: March 2007
2  Thank speedtre
Reviewed March 12, 2007

We found this hotel to be extremely clean and loked after. The two rooms we had were rooms 1&2. Myself being from a hotel housekeeper working backgorund knew all the little places that do not get cleaned as often as they should, found that they indeed were clean. lovley comfy beds, no problems at all with the rooms. The staff nice and freindly too. The breakfast nice and freshly cooked as well. The dogs that are part of the hotel presented no problems at all. The only time we came across them was by looking out of the back window and seeing them in the cleanly washed down yard. I would use this hotel again.
We left a present for housekeeping too. :o)

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled with family