“Great value, shame about the noise.”

The New Inn-Relaxinnz
Ranked #13 of 21 Hotels in Gloucester
“Great value, shame about the noise.”
Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

We arrived early but the staff were good enough to secure our bags so we could explore the town before checking in at 2pm.
We decided to try the carvery at the hotel which was ok, nothing to shout about but have had worse & paid more.
As with the previous review we recieved information that there would be music on in the bar that night at check in, something that would have been nice to know prior to booking.
The room itself was huge with everything you could want, it was clean & well decorated & had all the quirks of an old building including very uneven floors & walls.
The main problem was the noise from the bar, this was a respite break for us & usually our only chance each year to get an undisturbed nights sleep & recharge from caring for 2 disabled children. Unfortunately this was not the case as the music went on till midnight & the noise persisted well into the early hours with arguments & shouting. As I said, it would have been nice to know prior to booking as I think we may have gone elsewhere.
Breakfast was ok, again not a disaster but have had better.
No complaints about the staff, everyone I spoke to was polite & helpful & the room was good value for money, it was just the noise that spoilt the stay.

• Stayed August 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Oxford
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Upon arrival the receptionist appeared to be uninterested and told us the wrong information (which we later had to clarify). The room was reasonable for the price paid however we were told there was going to be music in the room below ours until 11pm. This was not optional and therefore this hotel is not suitable for young children or if you want to go to bed early - during the show our room was deafening. We sat and watched the music until 11pm at which point we expected them to stop. They didnt... at midnight the show finally stopped however angry revellers remained talking in the pub until late into the night. After both being repeatedly woken up throughout the night to shouting from outside and below we both got up exhausted to go to breakfast.

Upon arriving at breakfast there was no-one to seat us so we eventually sat down at one of the dozens of uncleared tables. The manager was just walking around without a care in the world and the young girls were struggling to do their best (they didnt appear to know what they were doing). We got ourselves some juice and my partner fetched herself some coco pops - there was no milk, or spoon so she ended up eating the entire thing dry. After 20 mins of waiting our table was finally cleared and enough tea for half a cup each was brought over (they didn't offer any more). We then ordered breakfast - I ordered full english and my partner ordered scrambled eggs on toast. A full 45 minutes after sitting down our breakfast arrived. My partner could barely eat hers as it was dry toast with the driest scrambled eggs I have ever seen. My breakfast was terrible, everything tasted horrible or was over or under cooked. The worst thing was this didn't appear to be an isolated event, everyone was experiencing the same thing.

So my overall view of this hotel is: it is reasonably cheap, has character and a okay location but the ability to sleep, the staff, the management and the breakfast are terrible. I expected more for my money.

Room Tip: Do not choose 114...
1 Thank AL123123123

Travelers are raving about these Gloucester hotels

Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed August 15, 2013

If you like being associated with historical places (and possibly haunted), this is the place for you. Upon entering the courtyard, I was transported back in time. The hotel staff was very helpful. The room I stayed in was spacious despite the long winding walk on uneven flooring! Considering it was first built in 1450, the hotel was maintained with a lot of efforts. I enjoyed the inner court balcony overlooking the courtyard. The "complaint" I have is the TV which didn't exactly work too well -- turned on by itself in the middle of the night for two nights, making me wonder if the place was truly haunted! The breakfast was really quite nice with more than a straight English breakfast. The location is great, easily accesible to everywhere, from the cathedral to other historical sites. Not too many restaurants to choose from in the area though, especially on a Sunday evening. Oh, the gulls were noisy!!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Andover, Hampshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 11, 2013

the new inn and surrounding buildings are very interesting and historic . i have read many reviews and it think is key to remember that hotels of this age are difficult to maintain and that you need to look at the whole experience, balanced with value for money and enjoyment gained.The staff are pleasant and helpful, the atmosphere good, the breakfast standard for the star rating and overall excellent value for money.
we stayed in the more expensive room with the four poster and this all added to the prestige of the building and we well recommend you to pay the extra ten pound or so. Many of the reviews complained about the noise, but you need to consider that this is in a courtyard and all the rooms circulate the yard. the pub is part of the courtyard and this will often have live music and therefore it will be noisy until at least 11.30pm.
we will diffantlkey stay again and we thought gloucester was good for food, shopping and history

Silkstone Common
Reviewed August 10, 2013

First impression were good, the old building and its courtyard look great, just what we expected for a 14th century inn. The location is good for exploring central Gloucester. And the reception staff do try to be helpful and are very pleasant. (we met some peopel who were delighted with the service from the hotel staff). But that's as good as it got.

When it says recently refurbished this statement must date from at least 10 years ago. The carpet in our room needed a clean (the bedding and towels were fine, no problem with them). The WiFi didn't work neither did the TV. The very helpful receptionist sorted the TV as much as he could by replacing the digi box, but as it was an old large CRT with a loud buzz, there was nothing he could do about that. Still at least we could get more channels than just Dave and we could alter the volume (apart from the buzz). The bathroom was clean but the toilet cistern took over 15 minutes to refill.

Breakfast was horrid. Soggy part toasted (mainly white) toast, and the quality of the bread was as if it was the cheapest white loaf going, probably partly defrosted. and the coffee tasted as if the filter had been used at least twice before without the coffee being replaced. I was glad my poached egg was solid as otherwise it would have meant I needed to eat some toast.in order to eat the egg! I was just glad the menu for the Bistro the night before has been uninspiring or we might have had a bad meal then as well.

Part of the reason we picked this hotel was its rating in the Good Beer Guide but I have to say when we were there the beer was uninspiring - not off but not brilliant.

Reviews are so variable it must depend on which room you get and who cooks breakfast!

If you do stay here be aware it is in a pedestrianised area, the nearest car park is NCP Bruton Way opposite the Railway Station about a 7 minute walk. (Reception gives you a post code, which may or may not be correct depending on who you talk to, they don't for some reason tell you the car park's name and that it is an NCP carp park - which would make finding it a lot easier) You will get a ticket when you check out reducing the cost of an overnight stay to £3.50.

I would have sent some feedback to the Hotel management before writing this to give them a chance to explain, but there are no contact details on their website!

Stockport, England
Reviewed August 10, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the New Inn on 30 and 31 July 2013. I arrived with a feeling of trepidation: I had looked at reviews only after I had booked in mid April. The reviews were so uniformly negative that I thought of cancelling the booking, but I'm glad I didn't! I think the hotel has changed hands since my booking, which has obviously made a big difference. We had a good experience and we would certainly stay there again. Friendly service, very clean, and of course very historic and very good location. Breakfast: buffet for juice and cereal; full English breakfast cooked to order (lovely fluffy scrambled eggs) and served promptly. Minor complaints about room: No luggage rack to put my case on, had to leave it on the floor; and no chair in room, only a small bench for the dressing table; in the bathroom an ordinary basin only (so I had to perch my makeup bag on the edge of the bathtub), and no hooks on the back of the door.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Swindon, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Every time we go to Gloucester shopping we find somewhere new to eat.
Today we found the New Inn and what a quirky place it is.
We used the Tap and Barrel bar with some wonderful real ales and good service and friendly locals who told me all about the history of the place.
Always talk to the locals it makes the day for you.
How many of you know that Humpty Dumpty was a gun on the walls of Gloucester, yes I did.
I say quirky because it not only has Ye Olde beams etc but when you order food they take your order across the courtyard to the restaurant where it is cooked and then bring it back to the bar for you, and very good it was to.
The only drawback I could find was when we needed the toilets.
Both outside and both needing some updating, perhaps they are 14th Century as well.
All in all I would recommend this drinking hole to all of you, you will be drinking with Henry the eighth King of England and if it was good enough for him it is good enough for me. ROY